Mainly to black women...how do you feel about this quote?

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by R-Tistic, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

Somethin I heard the other day...

"The only time Black women unite is when they are all talking about how bad Black Men are. Otherwise, they are too busy talking bad about each other."

I heard somebody say that and it definitely caught my ear...and damn, I think it's true for the most part.
    test
  2. Fire Cracka

Fire Cracka New Member

Not true bitch!

That's an idiotic black stereo type.
    test
  3. tight-eyes

tight-eyes Such a F*cking Lady!

I think its an untrue, ignorant and close-minded statement.

Unite..? what does that mean, anyway..? like we have group meetings about it or something..?
    test
  4. R-Tistic

LOL...of course it's not 100% true, and it's a generalized ass statement just like many others. But it makes a lotta sense...no of course y'all don't have "group meetings" well at least I don't think y'all do. It's like...black females, and females in general, ALWAYS say how they don't get along with many females because they are jealous and all that. You know how they always talk about each other, sayin they are shady, and all else. But when it comes to talkin about black men, they seem to always share similar opinions on how "bad" most of us are. So of course, not ALL females have a hard time gettin along with each other, and not ALL of them say bad things about black men, but it seems as if the majority seem to speak in that way.
    test
  5. Imperial1

Imperial1 For pressed ones only

I think it's a stupid quote. Next question.

Imperial1
    test
  6. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

Eh...

Ok, here's the thing. Black women are for the most part very competitive and very insecure. It's very odd to see a group of black women uniting unless it's a facilitated project, club, group, or program. Unfortunately the statement/quote bears some truth to it. But not enought to be taken as gospel.

All stereotypes bear some sort of truth...imo, it's just NOT to be taken seriously because..uh...it's so general.
    test
  7. tight-eyes

I'm not saying that there aren't black women who hold the opinion that black men are "bad"... I'm saying thats not even close to being a majority of them or "the only time black women unite".

Black women unite to take care of their families.
    Black women unite to effect change w/in their communities.
    Black women unite to uplift and empower one another.
    Black women unite to network professionally.
    Black women unite to socialize and share experiences.
    Black women unite to participate in religious ministries.
    Black women, as a whole, unite when they stand behind black men. I can't say for certain, but I think I read somewhere that we have one of the lowest inter-racial dating/marriage percentages... in other words, most black women tend to date/marry black men.

I could go on, but I think you catch my drift.

Black women "unite" to do a lot of things... and, yes, some of those things involve sharing negative opinions about black men... but that is hardly the only thing or the thing they do the most. Its insulting to me as a black woman to be told that the only time I get together with other black women is to talk about how "black men ain't shit"... I know plenty of black women who use their time much more constructively... the african american womens' club at my school being just on eof them.

So I stand by what i said... whomever said that made an "untrue, ignorant and close-minded statement".

[​IMG]
    test
  8. R-Tistic

I agree with a lot of what you say...I guess bein in college, those things don't happen just yet though. Right now, they seem to unite a lot more when it's in regards to complaining about men, versus how older women may unite for the reasons you've listed. It seems like females at EVERY college that I know, from the California schools to HBCUs, seem to all complain about the dudes at their school. Aside from that, many of them are always hatin on each other and showin a lotta negativity against each other. So that's why I said I felt this statement had a lotta truth to it, but maybe it woulda been more true if he had replaced "women" with "girls" and "black men" with "boys".
    test
  9. tight-eyes

Younger people in general tend to hold negative opinions of the opposite sex... it goes both ways... the guys get together and complain about whats wrong w/the women (not race specific) and the girls do the same... they lack responsibility... I think that is mainly due to the fact that they blame and point fingers for their bad choices in relationships instead of accepting responsibility and looking at themselves. Ex: "nice guys always finish last... boo hoo... girls suck!", instead of realizing how their behavior affects how people treat them and working to change it... you see it in these forums all the time. But we all grow and learn from our experiences...

And as far as women all being petty and hating on one another... I've voiced my opinion on that topic in here before. Are there some women who do it..? Yes... some women, but not most or even all. But its an indication of a persons immaturity and insecurity... and, again, its not gender specific as some people would have you believe... I see an equal amount of hating in men (ex: dissing the pretty boys that the ladies find attractive by calling them "fags"... always trying to outdo/out-muscle/outwit the next man) only, when they do it, it's called "being competitive". But some women continue to buy into it, and want to chalk up every negative experience with another woman as the other woman just being a typical catty female... and so the stereotype is just reaffirmed for them and the cycle continues.
    test
  10. Applaud

Applaud New Member

that shit is true real shit and i love my black women but that shit is tru
    test
  11. Fire Cracka

Fire Cracka New Member

You obviously don't know any black women than.
    test
  12. R-Tistic

A lot of that is true, but women hate on each other at much higher levels if you ask me, and it's evident. Lookin at dorms, dudes will play video games, watch TV, play cards, or even go to clubs with dudes they just meet and they almost form a bond just from livin on the same dorm room floor. Most dudes say whas up to each other when walkin by, and give each other handshakes even when they only know em by face. With females, there are only a few that I think are genuinely nice like that, to where they are open to meetin new girls all the time and treat them with respect from the jump. Only a few dudes I know will talk down on "pretty boys", that's high school shit there. With females, they ALWAYS bad mouth each other, and that's why you always hear females say "Most of my friends are boys, because I can't stand girls." Dudes are competitive, but in most cases they have to have have respect for each other in order to take each other seriously enough to compete. Females try to undermine each other and do sneaky things when they compete, and they end up hurtin their friendships more than anything else.
    test
  13. *NativeTongue*

*NativeTongue* New Member

in that pic in the bottom row, the lady in white

whats up with her hat?
    test
  14. Fire Cracka

Fire Cracka New Member

That's her hair homie.

And that shit is photo shopped because Mariah Carey, Brandy and Missy Elliot are all in the same photo and shit... shit isfake.
    test
  15. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

Janet Jackson, Naomi Campbell, and i think Halle berry is in there too. It's not photo shopped...they are taking a picture with Oprah...i think this picture was in Oprah's magazine. and that is a hat....what black woman u know hangin wit Oprah would have her hair like that....and she's old! u know old women wear hats....
    test
  16. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Chaka Khan is the most stunning woman in that pic... nothing else, just wanted to say that.
    test
  17. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

I see Diana Ross, Tina Turner, and Della Reese....but i dun see Chaka kahn....where is she?
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

She's the lovely angel in the second row behind the hedges to the far left, wearing a blue dress with her head cocked to the side... Chaka has gotta be a few years over 50, but she's still extremely beautiful, even more so than women half her age and she would still get it... ridiculously.

I just noticed that Mariah Carey is in that pic, too... so if she is finally appreciating her blackness, I wonder if Paula Abdul will join the bandwagon, too?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.