Maia or Palhares?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by ANDtheMC, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Who's jujitsu you think is better and who wins in a fight? I REALLY want to see that match up in UFC. I think if Palhares destroys Jeremy Horn like he should with a submission of the night, Dana White should DEFINITELY put Palhares and Maia against each other to see who's the top submission guy in the middleweight division.
    test
  2. IMO I Think The Better Jujistsu Player Is Maia.. If They fought it Would Be An Extremely Good Show Of The Technical Side Of The Sport.. (Boring to the Average Fan) But I would give the edge to Maia because I think he is a lil better on the ground and he has improved his standup game..
    test
  3. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I gotta go with Palhares and one of his patented leg locks... Maia's a MONSTER but I jsut think Palhares is more explosive into his submissions. And beyond that, he's a lot stronger so it makes it a lot easier for him. It would be a GREAT match though...

When you have two people that skilled, strength comes into play. Palhares looks like he's MUCH stronger than Demien...
    test
  4. Palhares does look stronger.. He looks like he shouldnt even be in that weight class.. But he doesnt fight as strong as he looks..
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I think he does. Have you seen his fights outside of UFC? And even against Saliverry... He looked VERY strong... His slams are some of the most powerful in MMA...
    test
  6. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Can't really say who has the better technique, but I'd root for Maia in the fight.
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

maia has better bjj, maia would win
    test
  8. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Maia would attempt to mount him and give him a big fat kiss.
    test
  9. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Not sure exactly who's is better. I think Maia is like Tim Duncan. Sometimes boring but so technical. But he just doesn't have that explosiveness. I think Palhares is more like Amare Stoudemire. Explossive, powerful, and still dominant. It's too close I think...
    test
  10. Roc Boulder

Roc Boulder New Member

Maia has the best BJJ for MMA. His transistions are so smooth. Jacare might be a better pure grappler. If they were to fight now, I'd take Maia.
    test
  11. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

Maia's BJJ is better for sure. i know belts arent always the best benchmark but Pallarhes is only a brown belt im pretty sure. They both however are amazing on the mat but Maia is definitely better. I doubt however either would sub the other in an MMA match. Pallarhes is a better judo guy and would more then likely dictate where the fight took place so if he could out strike Damien then he could win. i dunno would be interesting. i'd be pulling for Maia all day.
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ False... Palhares is i black belt. And beyond that, he's not a judo guy. He's a Brazilian Jui-jitsu guy. You have it wrong. I think you must be talking about someone else... Palhares has been known to tap out Nogueira when rolling. So I don't know how you can def'nitely say he couldn't tap out Maia... They're both incredible submission artists and if either one slipped up for even a quarter of a second, they would get tapped IMO.
    test
  13. Ben Official

No, maias jiu jitsu is better. hes a 2 time world champ, adcc champ and pan am champ. palhares is also amazing, and of course if either slips the other one will catch them, no shit lol. but maia is better.
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ I don't think those World Championships mean everything.

"Experts in martial arts touted Toquinho as one of the most naturally gifted grapplers today."

"Some have told us that he taps out Nogueira in training FREQUENTLY..." Mike Goldberg
    "Not just Nogueira... Paul Filho... All the du's he trains with..." Joe Rogan

Now if he's tapping out Nog "frequently" (who is arguably one of the best jui-jitsu fighters in the world) and has over 50 lbs on Palhares... Does that not say something about Rousimar? I dunno... Again, I'm not saying it's definitely better but ya'll make it seem like Maia is DEFINITELY better... I don't see it. And like I said earlier in this thread: Palhares has the strength advantage as well. When two du's of near equal talents come together, the stronger person gets the advantage....
    test
  15. Ben Official

World championships mean a lot man. until palhares taps out maia the advantage goes to maia. the advantage always goes to the world champ. adcc champ, 2 x world champ, palhares has done neither. whether mike and joe say he taps out nog sparring is one thing, but maia has more credentials, period.
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Don't we have to put into consideration of how many times Palhares has attempted to win World Championships. In his auto, it doesn't say anything about him joining any tournaments. So if he hasn't, that doesn't mean he's failed. And IMO, with the types of submissions he pulls off, I think he could be a world champion. I've seen other world champions that have came into mixed martial arts that look half as good as Palhares does...

Remember Roberto Traven vs. Frank Mir? Traven is a Abu Dhabi champion and 2 time World Champion and Mr. Mir tapped him out within minutes. I don't think the World Championships mean everything.
    test
  17. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

sparring and an actual fight will always be 2 different worlds in my opinion anyways

i gotta roll with maia
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ I agree that an actual fight and sparring are complete different worlds. But Palhares has proven he can succeed in mixed martial arts... He's 17-2 in his mix martial art career. And prior to the Dan Henderson fight; he submitted his last 6 opponents in an average of 1 minute and 41 seconds. Tapouts on 6 of his last 7 submission attempts and only got struck 6 times IN 6 FIGHTS. Regardless of how good or bad the competition is, that's RIDICULOUS! Again, I'm not saying it's def'nitely better but I think some of ya'll are overlooking Palhares's jui-jitsu...
    test
  19. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Oh yeah... And in that Frank Mir example. I think when he tapped out Traven he was only a brown belt or was it purple. I forget... But I know Mir wasn't even a black belt at that point... Mir's THAT DU'!
    test
  20. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

any fight can go either way, nobody is undermining palhares talent, but we were asked to pick one or the other and i gotta run with maia on this
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.