[MAG] The Tribune Vol.3 : Issue 1 + PlayOffs Pamphlet : Issue 3 : Semi-Finals

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Lucifa, Jun 24, 2008.

?

Who has brought the rstl into most disrepute?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2008.
  1. Got Life?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Baron Mynd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. J o o k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Quriosity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lucifa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

[​IMG]

..The Tribune : Vol. 3 : Issue 1..

I. Introduction
    II. Weekly Poll
    Play-Offs Pamphlet
    III Semi-Final Play-Off Ranks & Match-Ups
    IV. How The Semi-Finals Went Down
    V. Season 3 : Week 1 : Ranks & Match-Ups
    VI. How Week 1 Went Down
    VII. Weekly Highlights
    VIII. Lucifa Predicts Week 2
    IX. Mod Balls
    X. … Of The Week
    XI. Outroduction

I. Introduction

Wow. Where do I start this week?
    Well we’ll start with the good news: Jook is stepping down as mod and we have TheReturn in to take his place, a move for the good of the league by many accounts.
    The bad news would be another dip in activity this week, but this should soon be turned around as we get things back on track around here.

A lot of talk and accusations went down this week that could have seen the end of the RSTL and that would have been a damn shame. Hopefully we’re beyond that now that we’ve lost some dead weight in the cheating mod we had amongst us. Having an alias to talk shit with is one thing, but to use it to help voting methods is totally uncalled for and just downright idiotic. Good riddance Jook and any other competitors that opt to follow him out the exit because rules no longer allow the swaying for “respected heads”, by a mod willing to do that dirty.

We’ll be continuing as we are for now, but some time down the line things could change as we look at possible alternative systems to run the league ranks/points by. This could see the dropping of the Season format and Play-Off system as we know it, although that could come after this Season or during it, it is yet to be decided. However there is a poll in Emcee Hook-Ups where we would really appreciate your vote in either direction: Link To Poll

So welcome back to The Tribune and a new season.
    Please welcome our new co-mod TheReturn.
    Let’s get shit popping around here!

II. Weekly Poll

This poll was suggested by Got Life? and just for fun I think it’ll be interesting to see the results.

So. Who has brought this league in to the most disrepute?

A. Got Life?
    B. Baron Mynd
    C. J o o k
    D. Quriosity
    E. Lucifa

Poll is not public reveal and is single choice only.
    test
  2. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

[​IMG]
    III. Semi-Finals Play-Off Ranks & Match-Ups

8 became 4 as the race toward the champion of champions title heated up.

So this is how the Top 4 looked when all when said and done:

1. nah son
    2. Eye-Rime
    3. vada
    4. Got Life?

So the battle card went as follows:

nah son vs Eye-Rime
    vada vs Got Life?

IV. How The Semi-Finals Went Down

nah son vs Eye-Rime
    I was so convinced Jook wasn’t nah son, he had me fooled, but then I never took Jook for the cheating kind, and certainly didn’t think he was gay enough to be conversing with himself. Still, this is not about personal psychological problems, this is about the writing. This was a great match-up of verses and a really good showing of a solid topical vs a solid story piece, and answer a lot of questions about how well a topical piece can do when done well. Jook created a piece that reached out in a statement and won him a few votes, whilst Q went the story route and crafted some great imagery work to fuck with the reader’s mind in horrible ways. An epic of sorts but I think the fact the story piece won says a lot about the general feeling around here and I’m kind of glad the story prevailed at the end of the day. A close result of sorts but thrown clearer due to penalties of vote deductions for rule breaches.
    Eye-Rime wins 5-1 and advances to the Finale

vada vs Got Life?
    Another match-up deserving of their Semi-Final placements and split the votes right down the middle. Both were story-telling pieces but tackled in different manners, where Vern told his using narrator and plot switches whilst GL? went full on plotline. Voters were split by their enjoyment factors of a fresher concept vs a better written piece and it tied at 4-4 but the long serving Vern decided to ignore the rules and robbed himself of a Finale 3-way by having 2 votes deducted for a breaking a simple and clear rule.
    Got Life? wins 4-2 and advances to the Finale

quick prediction in The Tribune/
    test
  3. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

[​IMG]

V. Season 3 : Week 1 : Ranks & Match-Ups

Competitors are not yet 'ranked'.
    Names were written on paper and drawn randomly for fairness.

LDogg vs rocket
    Pent uP vs 200PROOF
    .:pain:. vs Extreme Venom
    Cereal_Killer vs Ace The Prophet
    RICO vs SpeedyCalhoun
    MetaSin vs Pharaohe Def
    DaAlmightyDolla vs DeSiMaTiOn
    3-Planes vs Revanon
    Infinite Truth vs Chin Kwon
    Lucifa vs Master Peace
    nom de plume. vs TheReturn
    Bodian vs Joe King vs MADDRAPPER II

VI. How Week 1 Went Down

nom de plume vs TheReturn
    I’m glad I wasn’t the only person that saw nom as the winner here but that opinion was far outweighed by a clutch of votes for TR. I really like TR’s work but I was decidedly under whelmed by his showing of this “poetry” piece, and in the poetry stakes he was well out matched by nom. The voters disagreed and saliva was in the edges of mouths as they lapped up his simple poetics vs nom’s more advanced version. Go back to your style now Return yeah? You work that shit so much better.
    TheReturn wins 6-2

Cereal_Killer vs Ace the Prophet
    This is another where my vote went against the crowd but I feel justified in my reasoning and just as happy to see C_K win. C_K had the better mechanics and some good use of wording and imagery that advanced his verse, but I just think clarity should be an issue in voting which it didn’t seem to be. Whilst Ace told a fairly basic story in a less than advanced manner but still worked it well, only leaving out “why” this plotline was happening. A good battle and both will be a threat in the league.
    Cereal_Killer wins 8-1

Infinite Truth vs Chin Kwon
    So this was a pretty clear whitewash, and somewhat of a shock result to many. Maybe because so little is known about Chin Kwon that IT slept a little on his opponent and expected to win with his usual flair of wording, but his downfall came from really not giving the reader much by way of content, nicely written piece about not a lot at all. Whilst Chin came out the blocks with guns blazing, in his topical piece that garnered plenty of props. Well done.
    Chin Kwon wins 9-(-4)

.:pain:. vs Extreme Venom
    A good battle here and a closely contested contest, the vote margin widened by EV failing to vote. Pain suffered similar problems to Cereal_Killer for me as clarity became an issue with some often feeling random content amongst the main theme of his piece. This was contrasted against Venom’s almost real-life feeling piece, that although flawed, made for an interesting and enjoyable read. I look forward to more pieces from EV and hope Pain can continue to evolve his topical presence to really hit us with a gem or 2.
    .:pain:. wins 5-(-2)

Lucifa vs Master Peace
    Gave him the extension and he still failed to post a verse. A shame cos I enjoyed writing my Super ADD Man piece. It’s in Open Mic for feedback if you’re willing. Link To Open Mic
    Lucifa wins via no-show

MetaSin vs Pharaohe Def
    Meta asked for the extension and still left this in a no-show win for PD. However, a technicality bit Def and he voided the recorded win with rule breaches. Seems harsh but the rules are there for good reason and hopefully people can learn from this and make efforts to ‘earn’ their wins even when no-showed against. Def still gets his play-off points but is not recorded with a win. Def’s piece is in Open Mic if you are willing to go leave feedback. Link To Open Mic
    Pharaohe Def voids win via no-show

Bodian vs Joe King vs MADDRAPPER II
    So, Baron says he won’t show and that leaves Joe vs MADD. Then Baron posts up a verse he wrote for another league, gets caught, tries to loophole but is too late to pull a stunt to retract the recycling ruling. MADDRAPPER fails to even check-in, never mind show as Joe King is given the chance for a ‘free’ win. As it turns out, JK is an alias (as predicted) and decided not to vote and take the win on that name. A complete waste of our time and webspace.
    Joe King voids win via no-show. Bodian is given a loss for recycling.

Pent uP vs 200PROOF
    So 200PROOF turned out to be pestilence and Pent uP decided he wasn’t going to give a verse. This gave pest the chance of a free win as above but once again, people don’t want to earn a win outside of posting a verse and failed to vote, thus voiding that win.
    200PROOF voids win via no-show

DaAlmightyDolla vs DeSiMaTiOn
    Had a feeling that DeSi was going to no-show and I was proven correct after DaD posted a verse to give this kid a battle. Unfortunately, DaD was no-showed against but was yet another competitor that didn’t feel the league deserved his votes.
    DaAlmightyDolla voids win via no-show

LDogg vs rocket
    Déjà vu as far as rocket being a shoe in for a no-show, which LDogg knew and posted a verse to take a win, but then went and did as many above and discarded the win by not voting.
    LDogg voids win via no-show

RICO vs SpeedyCalhoun
    Doube no-show

3-Planes vs Revanon
    Double no-show
    test
  4. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VII. Weekly Highlights
    by Got Life?

Best Battle
    Vada vs Got Life?

Best Verse
    Eye-Rime

Best Voter
    Got Life?

Best Story
    Eye-Rime

Best Story Progression
    Vada

Best Imagery
    Cereal_Killer

Best Flow
    Infinite Truth

Best Overall Mechanics
    TheReturn

Biggest Surprise
    Jook being nah son and turning out to be the biggest cheat since Omen.

Biggest Upset
    Chin Kwon beating Infinite Truth
    test
  5. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VIII. Lucifa Predicts Week 2

[S2FINALE] *Eye-Rime* vs Got Life?
    This is going to be epic if both bring their A game, and I don’t think they won’t.
    A lot of pride and bragging rights at stake in this one, so should be good.

nom de plume. vs *Chin Kwon*
    Basing my prediction not on personal preference but on what the league seems to favour at the moment.
    Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

*TheReturn* vs 200PROOF
    I really hope Return has gone back to his own style this week.
    If so, I predict a pretty clear cut vote margin here.

*Extreme Venom* vs Ace the Prophet
    I still say Ace will be a threat in this league but I think experience will tell here.

.:pain:. vs *Cereal_Killer*
    This should be a pretty close affair but I think C_K tips the mechanics if nothing else.

*Pharaohe Def* vs King Grimet
    King has checked in but I still wouldn’t be surprised to see him no-show.
    Regardless, I do think Def has the hunger and talent to make runs in the league.

Mic-illaH vs *Ifuse*
    Even knowing Ifuse’s true identity means nothing to me but after Got Life?’s reaction of endorsement I have to predict what would seemingly by the favourite.

I'll make these more indepth and interesting in future when there's effort coming back the league's way/
    test
  6. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

IX. Mod Balls

[​IMG]

The return of The Tribune has bought a return of the Mod Balls segment. Just a quickie this week but very, very important.

The Rules

Please, please, please read and understand the rules and regulations of the league. The sticky is there and presented in clear stipulation form so as everyone knows what will happen if they break rules. The rules that are there are in clear view and are easy to follow. We really don’t want people not obtaining their wins due to technicalities within the rules, but they are all in place for good reason.

The main penalty we have opted for is to give people vote deductions when they breach rules, with harsher penalties on harsher breaches. This is because votes are precious. They determine the winner and loser, but it’s hard to validate a winner that has won via votes but failed to vote to their full potential (and obligation upon signing up) so the best and fairest method is to deduct votes.

This is also reflected on no-show ‘winners’ as we expect the same thing from those people too. Since we can’t deduct votes on a battle that is not open to votes, the next step is to say “ok, you win, but you still need to earn it”, and will void any win not ‘earned’ by following some simple rules and expectations. It may seem shitty to have to do what everyone else is expected to do when your opponent didn’t even do the 1st part of what was expected of them, by actually showing up! However, votes are needed and you face penalties when you dip on the league just cos someone bitched out on you.

People that are no-showed against will automatically get the 2 play-off points for that ‘win’, but will not have the win recognised via rstl records if rules are breached that void it.

test
  7. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

X. … Of The Week

Honey Of The Week
    Hilda Castillo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link To 2121 x 2964 Bikini Shot

Music Video Of The Week
    Nai Jai – Throw Your M’s Up
    This is a UK Grime track that I would like to share with you guys.
    This is the kinda thing I listen to outside of UK/US HipHop and will give people an idea of where my short line and quick tempo style of writing is influenced by.
    The bitch kills it for me, outshines the lads on this one.

[youtube]hHvMXb1Z824[/youtube]

Random Video Of The Week
    George Carlin
    This was recommended by Got Life? in memory of the comedian who died 22nd June 2008.
    I’ve selected a relevant video clip of his involving “death”.

[youtube]3PiZSFIVFiU[/youtube]

R.I.P

Lucifa’s Joke Of The Week

Jook = nah son

boom!

test
  8. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

XI. Outroduction

There we have it ladies, the mag that nearly wasn’t, was.

It’s rare we go without drama in this league and on this forum in general, but what fun would it be without it? We want this place active and we’ve set up the rules so that everyone knows where they stand and what is expected of them. This isn’t to take the fun out of anything, it’s give a fair and equal place that says what it expects of you guys in return for solid playground rules that won’t be swayed by reputations.

We are looking at other options of how we play our game, as I’ve said. Whether a Season 3 Play-Off happens or not, is not the point though, as we want to write and get good feedback and fair votes to build a record (and some form of reputation). Don’t kid yourselves when you want to answer “lol @ i-net rep”, cos we all know it don’t mean anything in the outside world. In here however, it is and everyone that does compete for numerous weeks, does gain a rep of some kind. From the Dougie G rep to the Vern Acular rep, we all would like to be thought of as good writers by other good writers. The league format allows that. Given the good writers rep’s aren’t so bruised and battered when they lose to a guy they expected to beat, take all to heart and call out everyones voting methods, get their mod buddy and hype up each others egos to the point they think the league will crumble without them. When they could have just played by rules and atleast Vern would be in the final. Bitter cos his nah son name didn’t beat Q and so upset that Got Life? was in to tie with Vern, and took it because Vern had his cry about votes (I’ve done it myself Vern, but I make sure I check-in/ edit that with links>post verse>save my 3rd for times like that) and to tell us “that’s 64 lines” (which was just pointless tbh). It’s not about a judgement call, which your judgement is clouded Jook, as these rules have been known and ruled on so many times. Except it was always someone being a “bitch” when mods didn’t act on something and call a ruling to swing a match (win) their way. Too bothered about records they can rock like bling, than actually earning those records and swagger.

That’s my final say on everything Jook related. I’m really not fazed that he’s not modding, because Season 2 ran well without him under Q. The hate needs to stop being aimed at Q in all this, real talk! And Vern, we want to see you competing, there’s no doubt about that, and your ego shouldn’t feel bruised by your loss to Got Life? as you know and we all know you tied that, so on that level your crying needs to tone down and see that shit for what it is. You broke rules that were clearly understood by everyone, I’m sure even you, but with Jook on your side over aim or whatever you figured you could kick up enough fuss to keep your name in lights. Now it’s in the wrong coloured lighting son, seriously, don’t go out like that.

All the newer heads that are maybe new to the rstl or even new to me (even though they similar reg dates to me) you’re gonna have to ignore the storm you just stepped in to and accept our apologies for the shit that came to light this week, but yo, that’s some fucking drama right? The kinda shit people will talk about in 09-11, when they come back from a year or 2 off, in those “remember when” threads lol. Get involved and be known as the crowd that made the rstl a solid ground to play “tell me the best story or topical”. There are some good writers in this league and when threads can stay open we can showcase that. No-Shows are a fucking pain the ass and we are looking at ways of how we can best tackle the problem. An example being this week in switching 2 announced battles so we were confident of a definite show when 2 guys are likely to no-show (for whatever reasons). The earlier the mods can tackle problems the better, so play by the rules we’ve set in place and see for yourself how good it can be to play nicely.

ps :attitude:

j/k

If anyone would like to submit material to the mag then feel free to contact me:
    AIM = Lokoveli
    MSN = lokinontoyou@hotmail.co.uk
    Email = lokoproductions@hotmail.co.uk
    Or simply PM via RM.com
    test
  9. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

Just before I open this ..

next week I will be starting a Profile segment where competitors will be singled out for highlight in the mag .. a bio kinda deal with maybe interview material and a verse (maybe even a mag exclusive keystyle to a topic I throw you or something) .. I dunno .. I'll have a play around with how it will be presented .. but it's coming ..
    test
  10. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

ok...this was decent and I appreciate your effort, but i'm helping with the mag because I can't tolerate to read some of this.

I'm doing breakdowns again, btw you have no choice in the matter.

I'm bringing back interviews as well.

and if Pain's down we're bringing back our segment.

The profile idea sounds good.

Oh and as for league in disrepute...there can only be one choice for that really.

Jook, he flat out cheated to help himself win while being a mod.

He didn't recycle, he didn't just have a grudge against dic and vote against him and get caught doing it. He literally had convos with his multiple personas, came on aim as Nah Son and tried to talk to people, and flat out blindly cheated.

The kid is scum and I'd make a thread in the pit and pm jeff if i were ya'll to get that TR for Jook swap in already cause it doesn't take long to get it done.

Oh and word @ Carlin.
    test
  11. TheReturn

TheReturn Life of the Party

GL? if you're going to go back to doing breakdowns and a segment with Pain, let me do interviews, that's something easy that I don't really have to think about an idea for.
    test
  12. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

lol @ no choice in the matter .. wrong .. every choice in the matter son ..

but ok .. now I'm all for someone else doing the breakdowns .. but you are not the person IMO .. you do not stay bias and would far too often take your personal vendettas in to anything you wrote about them .. this is from experience of you doing that shit previously ..

if you're willing to curb that bias in your approach and be able to be the middle man with no sly jabs or moans of what they've done to you or how whack you think they are .. then I'd reconsider ..

I dunno what this GL n Pain romp is .. but link me to previous segments you're talking about and I'll get back to you on whether it's interesting enough .. I mean .. some beavis n butthead may be interesting but again .. if it's simply used to just have "your" opinion in the mag .. lol .. nope .. it needs to have appeal to everyone .. and far from everyone respects your opinion Eugene .. that's not bursting a bubble .. you should know how it is ..

changes in the league are one battle won .. changes in attitudes are another battle in the war ..

you will be you .. but unless your shit is unbiased or overly hate fuelled it won't be going in the mag .. you have no choice in that matter ..
    test
  13. J o o k

J o o k Guest

I no longer endorse this league. If it weren't for TR being modded I would really shut it down on some slander shit. Because honestly my word > than all yours put together.

But TR will do you guys good.

I already talked to Jeff, he will make the switch when he gets time.

Other than that I have nothing to say about this league. RIP.
    test
  14. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

so between us four, let's get this league going again

oh, and baron can help promote once we figure out a full proof system
    test
  15. nom de plume.

nom de plume. rumbrave.

ret getting the mod spot rather than me!
    favouring tmu i think!
    cheaters!
    test
  16. TheReturn

Someone add nom to the poll. This kid's wackness last week in that whooping I put on him really fucked this league up. Look at all the shit it has caused.
    test
  17. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

test
  18. nom de plume.

nom de plume. rumbrave.

i know=(.
    i am a pretty bad influence on the league.
    i'm a combination of verns whinging and jooks cheating.
    test
  19. TheReturn

You just can't poetry like me son. Go back to architecting my sandcastle.
    test
  20. nom de plume.

nom de plume. rumbrave.

haha.
    you cunt.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.