[MAG] The Tribune Vol.3 : DF Issue 7

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Lucifa, Aug 26, 2008.

?

Who would you prefer to see as mod of the RSTL?

1. nom de plume.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chin Kwon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pent uP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

[​IMG]

..The Tribune : Vol. 3 : DF Issue 7..

I. Introduction
    II. Weekly Poll
    III. Welcome To Worth
    IV. Lucifa Breaks Down DF:WK7
    V. Loose Cypher
    VI. Information Central
    VII. Divisional Ranks & Match-Ups
    VIII. Lucifa Predicts DF:WK8
    IX. Outroduction

I. Introduction

Welcome.

Congrats to Atheist on retaining his Champ Gauge.

[​IMG]

II. Weekly Poll

Last week’s poll of “Which topic category do you prefer?” was won by “Titles/Images”: 7-7

Personal Opinion: Both the categories that I voted for myself came out on top. I was a little disappointed not to see a single vote go to scenarios but not too surprised to be fair. Quotes came in with 3 votes but the winners were Titles and Images. The result of the poll shows I was with sound reasoning to split the 30 topics per week down by 10 Titles / 5 Quotes / 5 Scenarios / 10 Images. I don’t think that we should disregard Scenarios but it’s been no secret that they’re not a fan favourite and will see a reduction of sorts. I have thought of messing around with topics, having already tested out a ‘Beat/Instrumental’ a few weeks ago. Another idea I have thought about is a “Hook/Chorus” category using mainstream and/or submitted hooks to base a verse around. Another possible category is to “Parody” a commercial track, using a YouTube video as the ‘topic’. Any thoughts can be posted in this thread regarding topics and different ideas.

This week’s poll asks: “Who would you prefer to see replace TheReturn as mod?”

A: nom de plume.
    B: Chin Kwon
    C: Pent uP
    test
  2. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

III. Welcome To Worth

This week I’m going to take a look at the Top 5 Bonus Points from the Worth Spreadsheet.

Got Life? : 16 Bonus Points :
    An Accumulative total of 19pts with an Active tally of 10pts, with 16pts coming by way of bonuses. His 3-4 record compared to an accumulative tally of 19pts shows how much work Got Life? has put in to climbing the ranks by way of voting and getting his verses in early. These have given him a shot at a Champ Gauge which he lost and has seen his Active Worth cut in half. However, the 50% reduction hasn’t made a major impact for E, as his Active worth was high enough for him to fall straight in to top spot of his ‘new’ division.

Lucifa : 13 Bonus Points :
    An Accumulative total of 19pts with an Active tally of 19pts, with 13pts coming by way of bonuses. A 4-3 record and putting in the effort to vote as much as possible has seen me climb to a Champ match and enough of a point cushion that I too could suffer a 50% loss of points and still fall highly ranked in the Blue disivion.

Scatterboxx : 12 Bonus Points :
    An Accumulative total of 13pts with an Active tally of 4pts, with 12pts coming by way of bonuses. His 5-2 record takes a back seat when you look at his 4pts thanks to 2 weeks of very little use of bonus points. This slump has not impacted on his status though, as he is in this week’s Contendership match regardless of the lack of input.

Cormier : 10 Bonus Points :
    An Accumulative total of 14pts with an Active tally of 7pts, with 10pts coming by way of bonuses. His 3-2 record, a loss last week being in the Contendership match, has shown Cormier can mix it with the RSTL regulars, whilst the same verses have seen him reach the final of rhyme’s play-offs. Again, his bonus point collection meant his 50% reduction didn’t hinder his rank much when he fell back in to the Red division.

Jimmy Eles : 9 Bonus Points :
    An Accumulative total of 15pts with an Active tally of 15pts, with 9pts coming by way of bonuses. His 4-1 record and point haulage have seen him enter this week’s Contendership match, with a tough opponent standing in his way of a Champ Gauge shot. A new comer to the league and one that has proven this league isn’t about competitor’s “names”.
    test
  3. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

IV. Lucifa Breaks Down DF:WK6

Champ: Atheist vs Got Life?
    Split the votes in a pretty epic match-up. Atheist delivered a lengthy read but with a great level of detail to draw the reader in to the content. Got Life came back at him with a mechanically astute read with a semi-clever twist of the idea of a ‘hero’. Both gave a good story piece for us to read but it came down to how they delivered their story in the end. Whilst Got Life had the more hip-hop orientated flow and mechanics to his piece, Atheist had a more short-story feel to his piece.
    Result – Atheist wins

Cont: Cormier vs Lucifa
    Not match of the week material, but this did turn out to be a closely contested battle of dialogue fuelled verses. I went first with a verse I didn’t have time to refine and keyed it up in the quick reply box, delivering a less than original plotline but I felt the mechanics (apart from some typos) were decent enough. Cormier followed up with a full on dialogue verse that was executed pretty well but for me personally, lacked any real point to the plot. Split voters’ opinion down the wire in the end.
    Result – Lucifa wins

Jimmy Eles vs .:pain:.
    This was a good match-up of verses to read and Jimmy delivered the best verse he’s written in the RSTL in my opinion. Both gave a narrative piece but Jimmy just raised his game enough to take on a tough opponent and gave the most entertaining read of the 2. A surprising match on multiple levels as most would have predicted a win for Pain and wouldn’t have expected such a nice verse from Jimmy. Jimmy also collected a Bounty Point with this win.
    Result – Jimmy Eles wins

Scatterboxx vs Eye-Rime
    A mouth watering prospect as both of these writers are people I enjoy reading verses from. Although I wouldn’t say it was a let-down, it wasn’t quite up there with my expectations. Saying that, however, it was a good read in my opinion. Eye-Rime likes his mechanics and multi rhyming and delivered them again in this verse, but his content wasn’t 100% cohesive although I did feel it tied to the topics and had emotional value. Scatter came with his own style shining through, whilst not being as full-on as some of his best work it was well written and built the scene nicely, it just didn’t end so great for me.
    Result – Scatterboxx wins

oNeiRiC vs BaySick
    “Once upon a time I used to win..” said BaySick as he checked in. Well this was a chance to rekindle that love of winning as he was pitted against an opponent that on evidence was around the same competitive level. The match didn’t surprise in the lack of quality and both would have struggled against the other verses posted, but it was an ok read in general with BaySick sweeping up for a TKO.
    Result – BaySick wins

dizzy trip vs Iright By Apple
    A pretty tough introduction to the RSTL for dizzy trip as he faced off against a more experienced ‘competitive’ writer. Iright was the only person to use the Bonus Point Topic and gained the point with a cleansweep result against our newbie. Hopefully dizzy will take onboard the critiques he got from everyone that voted and works on his writing to make himself a more competitive writer within the league. As it is though, Iright was just too strong an opponent and claims a nice little haulage of points.
    Result – Iright By Apple wins

T.a.C vs Rem Lynxis vs Lotus
    hmmm.. 1 vote this match got. 1 fucking vote. That was terrible guys. I take a level in pride in moderating this league because I feel it is the best place to get solid feedback on written pieces. Fucking sucks that this match-up got slept on so badly. I know you weren’t all off camping and unable to vote. Anyways, I read the verses and can’t say I fully agree with the result, but then the result is the product of ONE FUCKING VOTE. Not a bad read in all fairness and nice to see T.a.C trying to up his game a lil.
    Result – Rem Lynxis wins

Restproof + Khoi NguJin + -Atreyu- + nom de plume. : Win by No-Show
    test
  4. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

V. Loose Cypher

[​IMG]

Meh .. shitty showing on the voting front deflated some of my enthusiasm when I got home from my little camping trip. I was hoping to come back and see that we’d had a great weekend in the league, but instead it was pretty pitiful. Anyways..

Now on to my Top 5 of the week:

For DF:WK6

Top Match: http://board.rapmusic.com/rapmusics...k7-championship-atheist-vs-got-life-vote.html
    After reading the verses I can’t argue with the result, but I do see how it was so close. A good entertaining read and both writers gave a good account of themselves and what they’re about. Atheist retains the Champ Gauge for another weak at least.

Top Verse: Jimmy Eles : Link
    For me, this was the most entertaining verse of the week. It’s the one that stood out to me as ‘proof’ that participating in this league and receiving feedback from other writers can bring about improvement and progression in each other. The best verse I’ve read from Jimmy and my personal fav verse from WK7.

Top Voter: Khoi NguJin
    Well no-one was really outstanding in the voting last week, but there were a few that kept up their own standards. Props to Atheist, Restproof and Jimmy Eles for their input, but I’m going with Khoi for the award this week.

Top Competitor: Jimmy Eles
    Jimmy seems to have really warmed to the RSTL and is proving to be a dark-horse when it comes to competing against our more known names in the league. He has helped people understand aspects of the league’s running and has really been an almost ‘role model’ style participant of the league. I tip my hat to you sir.

Top Dog: Scatterboxx
    It’s far too easy to give this award to Atheist again after he retained his Champ status, so I am giving the award to someone that looks like they’re back in business and looking to take that Gauge. Scatterboxx must get past last week’s surprise package in the Contendership, but after reading his verse against Eye-Rime I have a feeling he’s starting to spark again and then it’s – “Watch out league”.
    test
  5. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VI. Information Central

Gamblers Anonymous Beware!

OK, after the deflating sight that was last week’s activity level, it’s time to inject some fun and frolics in to the league. Next week ([DF:WK9]) will have a betting system for the week’s competition.

Everyone will be given 5 Active Points to bet with.
    You can then gamble as many of those as you wish on winning your match-up.
    At least 1 point MUST be gambled.
    Your bet return will be double, if you win.
    If you are confident of winning then you can bet all 5 points and if you win, you will have 10pts added on top of the usual points you’d earn.
    If you are not so confident in the win, then you may bet the minimum of 1pt and if you lose, you will have 4pts added after your tally is calculated.
    If you bet all 5pts and lose, you will have 0pts added to your final points haul.

Not hard to understand but here’s a quick example:

MC Confident (14pts AW + 5pt token) vs MC Noob (2pts AW + 5pt token)
    Match-Up thread is posted and they declare their bet within the ‘Check-In/Alternate’ post.
    MC Confident bets the full 5pts.
    MC Noob bets just 2pts. The remaining 3pts are ‘banked’.

MC Noob wins. (Both post 5 valid voting links incl. champ & cont).

MC Confident = -1pt for loss / +1pt for links = 0pts overall = 14pts Active Worth
    MC Noob = +2pts for win / +1pt for links / +3pts banked / +4pts bet return = 10pts overall = 12pts Active Worth
    test
  6. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VII. Divisional Ranks & Match-Ups

[​IMG]

http://board.rapmusic.com/rapmusics-storytelling-league/1101345-info-rstl-rules-regulations.html

This is how both divisions rank now:
    [​IMG]

DF:WK8 Match-Ups:

[​IMG]
    Atheist (Champ) vs Lucifa

Jimmy Eles vs Scatterboxx

1. Cormier vs 2. .:pain:.
    3. Iright By Apple vs 4. nom de plume.
    5. Gramur vs 6. Pharaohe Def
    7. Vern Acular vs 9. oNeiRiC
    8. dizzy trip vs 10. BaySick

1. Got Life? vs 2. Khoi NguJin
    3. Restproof vs 5. Rem Lynxis
    4. Eye-Rime vs 6. SacriFICE
    7. Jersey_Emcee vs 9. T.a.C
    8. DiC Gets GuLLy vs 10. Lotus

test
  7. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VIII. Lucifa Predicts DF:WK8

Atheist vs Lucifa
    Prediction – Atheist
    I don’t see myself as the guy that topples the ‘almighty’ Atheist. I’ll be trying to though, and time will tell if I can take a Champ Gauge of my own. I do think Atheist is a strong writer and people are feeling his work so it’s a tough challenge for me, wish me luck.

Jimmy Eles vs Scatterboxx
    Prediction – Scatterboxx
    Jimmy has improved and improved but he’s up against a seasoned vet in Scatterboxx who may just be hungry enough to get a Champ Gauge (possible 2nd shot at Atheist) that he will come out all guns blazing. Topic could be key to either’s success in this one.

Cormier vs .:pain:.
    Prediction - Cormier
    This has the potential to be a really good match-up with both writers being of competitive calibre and both eager to get back in to Champ match contention. Could be tight or could just as easily be a blow out in either direction. I’ma go with Corm in this one though.

Got Life? vs Khoi NguJin
    Prediction – Got Life?
    Although he seems to have gone AWOL, Got Life? gave Atheist a real run for the Champ Gauge and will surely be looking to get back in there as soon as possible. Khoi is no push over though and is slowly climbing the ranks and gaining recognition for his work, maybe a tough challenge too soon though.

Iright By Apple vs nom de plume.
    Prediction – nom de plume.
    This is a pretty tough one to call as I know very little about Iright, but he did have a decent verse last week and may do some ‘research’ on nom to see how much effort will be required to seek the win. However, I always find it hard to predict against nom as his writing is always a pleasure to read.

Gramur vs Pharaohe Def
    Prediction – Pharaohe Def
    This could be another no-show match-up in either competitor’s favour, but if not then this is pretty wide open. I say this with no experience of Gramur’s work whilst only having little to work from in regards to Pharaohe. The little knowledge I do have though would lean me toward Pharaohe in this one.

Vern Acular vs oNeiRiC
    Prediction – Vern Acular
    By a landslide? I think so. Not much else to say apart from – don’t take it too harsh oNe, very few get the nod above Vern in predictions.

dizzy trip vs BaySick
    Prediction – BaySick
    This could turn out to be a chore to read and vote on, or surprise us and be fairly decent. It will not be a great battle though as neither excel in their writing, but hopefully both are eager to improve and can deliver something worth reading.

Restproof vs Rem Lynxis
    Prediction – Restproof
    Rem got a little lucky last week in winning the 3-way thanks to only 1 vote but will definitely need to produce a better verse to take on Restproof this week. I think Restproof is on a mission to champ the league and I don’t see Rem as being a big enough stepping stone to halt that mission.

Eye-Rime vs SacriFICE
    Prediction – Eye-Rime
    Possible sleeper hit match of the week, or more likely a no-show win for Eye-Rime. I hope that Sac shows and if he does it will be a competitive affair, but I just have Eye-Rime taking this.

Jersey_Emcee vs T.a.C
    Prediction – Jersey_Emcee
    He promises to show and if he does I think he should win this match. T.a.C has been improving and gave a fair account of himself last week in the 3-way, but Jersey is an old head and capable of mixing it up with the best of them on his day.

DiC GeTs GuLLy vs Lotus
    Prediction – DiC GeTs GuLLy
    It’s good to see the older names giving the league a go again, and I hope DiC is back for a good shot at trying to claim a Champ title before he gets bored again. Lotus hasn’t progressed as he’s simply slapping a verse up and nothing else, staying stuck at the foot of his division and racking up those minus points.
    test
  8. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

IX. Outroduction

That's it, a more condensed mag this week. My PM Inbox lacked input for the "of the week" and "competitor profile" sections so we'll have to do without.

Hopefully next week will see them return in strong fashion, if not, ah well, you take it as it is.

Good luck this week folks.

If anyone would like to submit material to the mag then feel free to contact me:
    AIM = Lokoveli
    MSN = lokinontoyou@hotmail.co.uk
    Email = lokoproductions@hotmail.co.uk
    Or simply PM via RM.com
    test
  9. nom de plume.

nom de plume. rumbrave.

that gambling thing seems cool.
    test
  10. Jimmy Eles

Jimmy Eles UNREGISTERED USER...

2 outta 5 aint bad..

nice mag luc....i'll do a profile real quick if you need one for this mag
    test
  11. Zarbon

Zarbon Registered Champ

yea, last week me and scatt both were pressed. but i intend to put forth effort this week, hopefully. good luck fice.
    test
  12. Atheist

Atheist Storyteller

yeah, nice mag.

i haven't found the time to do my profile yet.

i barely have time for writing my verse, lol.

but i'll get onto it next week.

not working as much then.
    test
  13. Chin Kwon

Chin Kwon The Angkorian

lol @ the gambling thing. Im feelin that.
    test
  14. Avirex

Avirex New Member

no one likes finding out their writing has been stolen... help support the site and this league by saying no to biters. Protect our writing by banning people like gotlife

thank you and have a good day
    test
  15. Infinite Truth

Infinite Truth ...scatterboxx rocks.

all i wanna do is
    BANG BANG BANG BANG
    & a
    cha-CHANG!
    take ya monayyyyyy.

vote- nom.
    test
  16. Jimmy Eles

Jimmy Eles UNREGISTERED USER...

i fly like paper
    get high like planes
    you catch me at the border i got visa's in my name

vote - getting high like planes
    test
  17. Infinite Truth

better yet

new mod: a buddha of buddha.
    test
  18. Infinite Truth

everyone hail the holy one!

q & lucy gotta fucking run they decisions by the almighty marijuana plant.

DO IT. YOU WON'T.
    test
  19. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

i voted for nom just to see what the votes were

realistically the way i see it is

chin hasnt been around long enough overall
    nom hasnt either and has biases
    and I have modded for 2 years; but i refuse to do mags...

everyone seems to want that third mod to have biases so nom is probably gonna win (got life, then jook then return; all biases -- fits the status quo)
    test
  20. nom de plume.

nom de plume. rumbrave.

march 01 not long enough?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.