[MAG] The Tribune: Vol.2, Issue 11, Week 14

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Lucifa, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

[​IMG]
    The RSTL Tribune: Volume 2, Issue 11, Week 14

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
    II. Mod Balls
    III. Weekly Highlights
    IV. Lucifa’s Loose Cypher
    V. Lucifa Breaks It Down For You
    VI. Lu’s Top 3 Competitors
    VII. The Official Rankings
    VIII. Lu’s Predictions
    IX. Honey Of The Week
    X. Outroduction

_____​

I. Introduction

Welcome to another edition of The Tribune. This week’s issue will be a lighter read than that of some recent issues due to Q being unable to put in the time required to fill some segments.

It’s a shame, but I think it’s the curse of the play-off system, that numbers are dwindling in the latter weeks of the season and activity seems to be dropping. However, some of the older heads are emerging from the wood-work ready to pounce on the play-offs after little to no input during season 2. Hopefully bringing with them some spark of life in the forum. The play-offs are coming and they’ll be here very soon, announcements and discussions are starting to get interesting and I look forward to an entertaining battle royale.

At this time, I would like to extend a warm invitation to those who disagree with the way our magazines are written, or to those who may disagree with our views or the way we express opinions, or simply to those whom may just want to help out and have a sincere concern for the future of this league. Please feel free to email us: usadesigns1@gmail.com (Quriosity) or lokoproductions@hotmail.co.uk (Lucifa). Alternatively contact us via instant message on AIM: joekraq (Quriosity) or lokoveli (Lucifa). We are always open to suggestions and help from those who are truly interested.
    test
  2. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

II. Mod Balls

[​IMG]

Edition 5 of Mod Balls:

This week I want to actually speak on being a moderator for the RSTL in the current climate from my personal viewpoint.​

Having Mod Balls

It wasn’t too long ago that I sent a PM to Q telling him to calm down about something he’d taken to heart. In that PM I told him that I personally wouldn’t want the task of moderating the league due to a few reasons I won’t go in to. Then Got Life? decided he didn’t want to mod anymore, because it wasn’t getting him the votes he thought he’d get from having the position. I knew this left Q in the lurch with Jook being absent and when talk of a new mod came about I didn’t put myself forward, but my name was thrown in to the hat along with Baron Mynd. With Q himself stating he felt I would be the best choice, and since I joined the league on the weight of his name in the first place, I changed my mind and decided to give it a go.
    I did think that Q’s opinion was based more around my input and desire for the league to stay strong, hence putting forward my own ideas and opinion on certain things. I know it isn’t a presidential election when opting for a mod, but my personal feeling was that the competitors should have more say on things, hence posting polls and arguing the case with rulings from the viewpoint of both a competitor and a moderator. Input I had originally figured was the reason Q wanted me onboard. It seems however, that wasn’t really the case and I was seen as merely someone to be relied upon to be online and more active than others. More fool me eh?
    This made it seem like there was a conflict between Q and myself in the mould of a falling out, which wasn’t the case. Got Life? has commented before on “my mark” on the league as a mod, which I laugh off as I didn’t take the spot for any other reason than to help out Q and hopefully keep the league active enough for Jeff not to close the forum down for good, as this is the RSTL’s last chance.
    I’ve stayed true to myself throughout my stint in the league and haven’t let the green name change the way I see the league either. I don’t feel I’ve used the position to my advantage or acted the fool like I can look down on peeps. Trying utmost to uphold the rules Q and Jook put in place, whilst also using the chance of what should be a stronger opinion (being mod) to see about some alterations that I see, from a competitor view also, could help to streamline proceedings whilst not ruining the feel. As long as I am a mod I will continue to do so, and if this is not to peoples liking then I offer the same thing I did a few weeks back. Speak the fuck up and I will step the fuck down. Being a mod doesn’t fill me with the same self worth it gives people like Baron Mynd (who is pretty desp to mod any fucking forum he can). I can take it or leave it, but I won’t be stepping down of my own accord any time soon, so you guys need to make it clear to Jook, Q and myself if you’re not happy and things will be done. All except Got Life? of course [heart]​

Lucifa
    Aim – Lokoveli
    test
  3. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

III. Weekly Highlights

Match of the Week
    Eye-Rime vs Got Life?

Best Verse
    SpeedyCalhoun

Worst Verse
    Mariah Noelle

Best Flow
    Eye-Rime

Best Story
    SpeedyCalhoun

Best Imagery
    SpeedyCalhoun

Best Overall Mechanics
    Eye-Rime

Best Story Progression
    SpeedyCalhoun

Best Voter
    MetaSin

Biggest Surprise
    Untraceable being quite a good movie.

Biggest Upset
    The lack of quality in the battle between Mariah and Meggido when there are claims this other league they frequent is so good compared to the RSTL.
    test
  4. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

IV. Lucifa’s Loose Cypher

[​IMG]

Loose Cypher: A Few Words

Not much to say here this week. There were some decent battles and some unexpected no-shows but a better week IMO than last week. Play-offs are approaching fast and if you haven’t read Mod Balls then here it is again. I am offering up my play-off spot to someone that does not qualify for them. Don’t bombard me with PMs, but if you would like it then make it known and I will select who I think ‘deserves’ it most from those that fail to qualify of their own merit.

My Top 5:

Lucifa's Verse Of The Week

SpeedyCalhoun
    A dark piece of storytelling that played out effortlessly like a movie with some nice imagery and good story progression, keeping me engaged to the piece. Unfortunately this verse was no-showed against and lacked the feedback it deserved. Originality is low as it was like reading a scene from Saw (which he made no effort to hide behind) but the entertainment value from the read was very high. A really nicely crafted piece of text that I really enjoyed.

Lucifa's Runner-Up Verse

Pent uP
    Having read little from Pent before, I wasn’t sure what to expect from his verse. I was pleasantly surprised when I read this topical based piece about music and musicians. In a stronger week this may not have ranked so highly but as it is I found this to be the 2nd most enjoyable read of the week in question.

Completing The Top 5 (in no particular order)

MetaSin
    Until I started doing my top 5 verses for the mag I would very rarely read an opponents verse. As it is I have to read every verse posted to create my top 5 lists and this week shows why. Meta gave a solid showing and took a clear win with a story about a woman avenging the death of her son. Not overly original but a good read by all accounts.

Eye-Rime
    A sub-par showing from Q in the champ match that was only ‘technically’ the champ match, as neither were there by true merit. Q gave an unconventional structure a lick of butter to create a smooth flowing piece about a woman getting raped infront of a busker. Made for a steady read that only really lacked in imagination of concept.

Got Life?
    Received some over hyping feedback from his crew mates but I did say within my own crit that the idea was one of the better ones from the week. The presentation however, fell short for me personally. Some mundane rhyming and a less than smooth flow counted against it, but I still give merit to the concept of the story being one of interest and quite refreshing.
    test
  5. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

V. Lucifa Breaks It Down

CHAMPIONSHIP: Eye-Rime vs Got Life?
    Once again it was a champ match where neither writer bought their A game, but they did have a closely contested battle. Eye-Rime gave a verse that flowed effortlessly whilst the content was good enough to keep the piece with a strong overall look. With Eugene going for a very cool concept to his plot but not fully taking advantage of his idea with some sub-par mechanics.
    Got Life? wins 3-2

CONTENDERSHIP: Cereal_Killer vs Infinite Truth
    Well it was the easy route to a champ match for CK here with IT deciding he had better things to do and left CK wasting his time. Or did he? As CK’s verse felt under-par for my money and lacked any real direction and dare I say, effort.
    Cereal_Killer wins via No-Show

DeadKing vs 3-Planes
    A strange one this. DK decided he wasn’t winning votes because we say he’s simple (can’t say I’ve noticed that crit) and so went to town on some pretty impressive vocabulary that ultimately ruined the piece in some opinion (incl. my own) whilst impressing others enough to clinch the deal. Whilst 3-P didn’t come as strong as usual, admitting to seeing his oppositions verse and not warranting the effort. Whilst I half agree that he was well capable of beating that verse with a half hearted effort, it didn’t go down well with other voters. All in all leaving this a tied result.
    Match ends in a tie 3-3

Insanevillian vs Pent uP vs Vern Acular
    A 3 way for the simple reason these are part of the no-show kingz crew. Hoping maybe 2 will grace us with their presence and provide us all with voting links. As it happens, IV no-showed, Pent showed and Vern half showed. Leaving voters struggling to make 2 lines of feed for Vern whilst being obvious they had to vote for Pent uP. A shame of sorts, because Pent’s verse was of a good quality and worth the read.
    Pent uP wins 4-(-4)

Smoke Trail vs SpeedyCalhoun
    Another no-show king pulls no surprises out the hat and leaves Speedy with an easy victory that unfortunately he didn’t take, by not voting. Speedy produced a really nice verse in simple but effective tale in the Saw mould.
    SpeedyCalhoun wins via No-Show (voids win with no votes)

RICO vs Linxz
    This was never going to be epic.
    Double No-Show

MetaSin vs Lucifa
    Meta had a chance of revenge and took it comprehensively. A whitewash result that I would not begrudge him. I felt some crit about my intro was harsh and I actually liked it so I care little it ‘cost’ me favour in feedback. Meta’s verse wasn’t impressive but it was a strong showing and a deserving victory.
    MetaSin wins 5-0

Mariah Noelle vs Meggido
    Wasn’t feeling all the quoting business both these used, with both verse being very similar in both structure and style. Stretched lines and horrid flows from both made it a chore to read. A winner was clear in the end as Mariah’s verse lacked focus in content whilst Meggido’s held stronger and ended on a high note.
    Meggido wins 3-(-4)
    test
  6. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VI. Lu’s Top 3 Competitors

I still don’t see Q’s reasoning for doing this for “the upcoming week” rather than the “previous” week. Since I don’t have Q’s crystal ball to hand, my version will be for the week just gone.

[3] Eye-Rime | If not only for staying in to defend the co-champ crown. Q gives this league a lot more than it gives him, with solid breakdowns in his votes that are of length and should be appreciated by all who get it, which is everyone that posts a verse in an open battle.

[2] Got Life? | Undeserving of this spot as he is undeserving of his shot at the champ match, due to his unsporting antics of the previous week. However, Eugene does give the league his time week in and week out. As shady as his voting may seem at times, he still finds the time to do it and will go beyond the required amount when the league has enough battles to do so.

[1] MetaSin | Could have done what Pent uP and Meggido did, where seeing that they would win all votes meant they didn’t need to vote and would still win. He didn’t and after all the crap he had to endure because of this league it’s a real testament to him that he gave up his time to show and then vote with good feedback on all matches. All his votes were fair and just, something I’ve noticed he does in the RBL too which makes him a real asset to the RSTL.
    test
  7. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VII. Official Rankings

[​IMG]

----- The Official RSTL Rankings -----
    WEEK FIFTEEN

------------------------------

CHAMPIONSHIP:
    1. Got Life? 20-7 (New Champ!)
    2. Cereal_Killer 7-2

CONTENDERSHIP:
    3. Pent Up 5-1
    4. MetaSin 9-3

5. Meggido 1-0
    6. SpeedyCalhoun 2-3

7. Eye-Rime 15-2
    8. .:pain:. 4-3

9. Daht Cahm 2-2
    10. Vern Acular 4-2

11. Lucifa 20-8
    12. A.S.K 0-0

13. Cormier 0-0
    14. MC4SiGHT 0-0

15. Nique 0-0
    16. Tha Pastor R.Y. 0-0
    test
  8. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

VIII. Lu’s Predictions

Taken right out of hook-ups. I’m lazy like that.

CHAMPIONSHIP:
    1. Got Life? 20-7 (Champ)
    2. Cereal_Killer 7-2

In the balance .. I think Eugene 'should' win .. but CK could take that crown ..

CONTENDERSHIP:
    3. Pent Up 5-1
    4. MetaSin 9-3

Pent stayed in then .. cool .. should be interesting .. I think Meta is a lot less rusty and also has a stronger appetite for a shot at the last champ title of this season ..

5. Meggido 1-0
    6. SpeedyCalhoun 2-3

if Speedy can vote then it may help here .. I see SC taking it but could end up voiding it on technicallities ..

7. Eye-Rime 15-2
    8. .:pain:. 4-3

interesting rematch here .. Pain is fresh back and could be eager to slam some lyrics down .. with Q in for a busy week away from the rstl also edging my prediction in Pain's favour ..

9. Daht Cahm 2-2
    10. Vern Acular 4-2

the prodigal soldier returns .. should be a pretty good/close battle .. we'll see .. Vern isn't exactly 'showing up' atm so could be an easier than expected win for Cahm ..

11. Lucifa 20-8
    12. A.S.K 0-0

ain't seen anything from ASK in a long time so I don't know what he's about nowadays .. g'luck buddy ..

13. Cormier 0-0
    14. MC4SiGHT 0-0

I have seen some hype posts about 4sight but know nothing about him myself .. even less about Corm .. I'll go with 4sight ..

15. Nique 0-0
    16. Tha Pastor R.Y. 0-0

again .. read hype about Nique and know nothing about pastor .. so I'll go with Nique on this ..
    test
  9. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

IX. Honey Of The Week

Dania Ramirez

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

test
  10. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

X. Outroduction

Well that’s that. Sorry but this is all my own work and thus lacking in bulk because I’m not pouring hours and hours in to this. I really wish some of you would offer to take up some part of the mag, just to make it diverse in opinion and approach, thus more interesting to read. If people are going to moan about my opinion in battles or sticky threads then why should my opinion be 100% of the mag coverage? Regardless, it’s what I’ve been asked to do and I will give it the effort the league deserves. Which of late hasn’t been warranted with so many no-shows and inactivity setting in pre-play-offs. Details of the Play-Offs should be announced by Q soon and an announcement has been made in hook-ups by Jook. All interesting and hopefully brings a spark of life back, although experience hints at a decline in activity at this time. We’ll be tackling that issue by launching Season 3 during the actual play-off period to get numbers rolling by play-off end. I think there will be some changes, if only minor, in place for the 3rd season in terms of rules and maybe structure. Stay tuned to the sticky area and/or hook-ups for further Play-Off info.
    test
  11. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

and you're not a man if you wouldn't slam Dania in seven shades of nasty behaviour ..
    test
  12. UneekTestimony

UneekTestimony New Member

Cool Magazine.
    test
  13. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

worst mag to date...you really ought to ask people to contribute...so that this thing takes life again...
    test
  14. J o o k

J o o k Guest

Way to step up and write a mag.

Up!
    test
  15. MetaSin

MetaSin I Don't Believe In You...

Can i do predictions, and a "Meta's Sleepers" section in conjunction with the Top 3 competitor's next week?
    test
  16. J o o k

J o o k Guest

Yes you can.
    test
  17. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

well, i enjoyed this
    a quick read, but well worth it for the most part and much credit for writing the entire thing, sorry that my time has been crazy but my brother has like 3 HUGE performances/shows coming up along with this baby shower and my birthday on the 29th plus packing to move and family in town to visit and tornadoes all over the place today... its just been very hectic

hopefully i can sit down and rack my brain for "fresh" ideas, otherwise it'll be too easy for pain because like you said, i thought being out of school would leave more time but now it just seems as more people demand my time because they know i have more of it, its really been more stressful then when i was taking 6 classes

oh well, what can you do?
    test
  18. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

oh and yes, she can get it
    i like nice legs, thick backsides, and petite breasts along with ofcourse a pretty face, feet must be touchable as well
    test
  19. MetaSin

MetaSin I Don't Believe In You...

so... I was reading my past verses in this league, this season.... and I've become a much better story/topical writer as it's progressed. I appreciate the feedback; consistently, u've all given me different opinions on my strengths, and weaknesses in my verses, and i think i've paid more attention to those things than I thought.

The funny thing it made me notice is that as much as you guys think that your crews determine your votes or the biases towards one another do, but really, it's more that you guys share the same views as the people in your crews... Lucy and Q's critiques are so similar, with Q focusing slightly more on my positives, and Lucy's focusing slightly more on my negatives.... Same with IT, and GL. ... the critiques I get just show what u guys prefer, and what you find appealing, whether it be structure, style, or topic... I never really paid much attention to it, but reading over this season brought it to my attention.

It's not just those people, just a great example.
    test
  20. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

Thank you .. appreciate that ..

eat a fat dick you pillock ..

coolios ..

Yes you can. Please do.

Stop copying me.

Hide.

yeah .. good man ..

thanks and you're welcome .. I think ..
    test