[Mag] RSTL Tournament Magazine

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Shadow, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

[​IMG]

Written by Inkwell​

Ladies and feminine men! These past several weeks have been quite a ride. We had the usual suspects such as Shadow standing their ground, returning vets (whattup CK) showing they still got it, and newcomers eager to prove themselves in the RSTL Tournament. Before we dive in, for those unfamiliar with the RSTL, here’s a little introduction. For starters, this is a league for people that want to get better at writing in general. You’ll find rap lyricists, poets, and everything in between. Not only do you sharpen your skills by writing weekly, you also improve by voting and learning what things to look for in a truly great piece of writing. This is NOT a place for you to be showered with compliments. If your ego can’t handle it, well you can either leave or stick around and amuse us. =]

BUT, before we dive in, here’s a little clip to set the mood. One of my personal favorite artists, Dessa.

[youtube]hHgdWyytLn0[/youtube]​
    test
  2. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

ROUND 1 Review

This seasons RSTL Tourney had a little twist. Instead of match ups being determined by ranking, they were done by alphabetical order.

~Matty P~ vs. Aesthetic:
    Two newcomers enter the ring. Aesthetic dropped his verse early, which is fine, but I wish he spent a little time making sure he spelt the words right. (“Medaphporical”…. Really?) Aesthetic had rhymes, but he lacked in depth and that hurt him. ~Matty P~ had rhymes on par with Aesthetic, but the general consensus in the votes were that he had a slightly more refined and fleshed out verse and that gave him the narrow 1 vote win. Aesthetic initially led 3 votes to 1, until a three vote swing sent Matty to the next round. That’s gotta be heartbreaking, can’t say I haven’t had that happen to me before.
    WINNER: ~Matty P~ - 4 to 3

Black Jesus vs. Brown Jesus:
    The highly anticipated Jesus battle to determine the true ethnicity of Jesus ended up in disappointment. Black Jesus drops a no show verse and Brown Jesus no shows.
    WINNER: Black Jesus – No Show

Breathless vs. Cereal Killer:
    An inspired Breathless brings his stone and sling against heavyweight Cereal Killer. Breathless held nothing back, dropping what could have been his best verse since he joined the RSTL. What’s most noticeable is that the overly stretched out lines that plagued him in some past verses are nowhere to be seen here. Unfortunately for him, his first round matchup was against a former champ. Cereal Killer cracked his knuckles and got going, reminding everyone why he was held in such high regard in the past. In a battle between Breathless’ verse about the diluted memories of his character and CK’s story of murder, CK takes the win with superior wordsmithing and story telling ability.
    WINNER: Cereal Killer – 5 to -2

Get it Duhn vs Got Life?:
    Double No Show. Disappointing? Very.
    WINNER: No one.
    LOSER: The dead puppy. Because a puppy dies every time someone no shows.

iDealaeDi vs. InsaneVillian:
    IV drops a no show verse, which was just artistic and life changing enough to beat iDealaeDi’s no show.
    WINNER: Insane Villian – No Show

J. Keeper vs. kalamaty:
    I was rooting for J. Keeper to lose, because the use of the word “shmuck” weirds me out, but alas… kalamaty did me no favors. J. Keeper wins a heated battle that consisted of himself and a no show. However, J. Keep’s verse gave us all a taste of his more poetically driven stylings. It was also a great example of someone coming to the RSTL with a verse that isn’t supposed to be read to an even cadence or rapped.
    WINNER: J. Keeper – No Show

Know the Ledge vs. Kuja:
    Another heated battle. … … Yeah, you guessed it, another no show. Kuja takes the win against a no show opponent. He still posted his full verse however and it showed that he wanted a real shot at the title. For those that don’t know, this guy is also participating in the ISTL. Two tourneys at once? Shenanigans…
    WINNER: Kuja – No Show

Lyrical Priest vs. Lyrics of God:
    Another disappointing showing (or lack of) by both competitors. A double no show. Fail much? I believe Lyrics of God also talked himself up a bit in the lounge prior… Maybe he realized he couldn’t measure up to his words… Maybe Lyrics of God’s talk scared Lyrical Priest away. =\
    WINNER: Kittens everywhere, because another puppy died and now they are popping out it’s eyeballs and chewing on it like a delicacy.

nO gOoD! vs. Patrown:
    Shake. My. Head. Another no show battle. Personally, I was really looking forward to seeing Patrown compete in the tourney. For those that don’t know, he is a newcomer that won a lot of people over with his humility and eagerness to improve. Sadly, his no show is unforgiveable and now he is banished to the Corner of Shame. Joined by him is the puppy that died. NG drops a no show verse, fully expecting to lose… and wins! By the way, NG. I remember when I used to spell with alternating caps like your name… I think I was eleven or something…
    WINNER: nO gOoD and kittens – No Show

Ravenous510 vs. RicoSuave:
    Finally two competitors that showed. Not only did they show, but they were fresh blood. RicoSuave chose the “Diluted Memory” topic and dropped a verse that was pretty good for a newcomer into the RSTL. Ravenous was clearly a more audio orientated/rap writer. Everything from how he wrote, to how he ended each line with a breath mark. He went with the “Survivor” topic and went to work. It’s always interesting to see what fresh writers bring to the table, and in this instance, Ravenous brought more skill to the table and took the matchup.
    WINNER: Ravenous510 – 5 to -3

ROCKWELL vs. Royal Flyness:
    Double no show. Dead puppies. NEXT!

ShadowWarriorfs vs. SiegeSupreme:
    Siege is a newcomer to the RSTL, but he definitely brought it, giving Shadow a run for his money. He also managed to get props from BlackJesus, which didn’t happen too often this round. His comparison of Hip Hop to the seasons was consistent throughout the piece and executed very well. On the flip side, Shadow chose one of the more… creative topics… One about bath salts giving people zombie-like tendencies. For those unfamiliar with Shadow, he tells very fluid stories that just read easily. From there, he might sprinkle on some imagery, or more impressive rhymes, but that story is always there as a base for everything else. In my opinion, this battle was the closest of Round 1, but with a few voters that preferred Shadows storytelling style more, Shadow takes the win and advances to the next round. Siege also lost with grace. Some people should take notes…
    WINNER: ShadowWarriorfs- 5 to 3

T.a.C. vs. Tacitus:
    Tacitus no shows and TaC takes the win. I swear Tacitus is just another account by TaC though. My basis for this accusation? “TACitus” Enough said. CLEARLY, this is proof that TaC pulled some sneaky Jackie Chan/James Bond type sorcery.
    WINNER: TaC- No Show

TeKneeK vs TheInkwell:
    TeKneeK is a legend in the RSTL (as well as the founder). I was looking forward to battling him, but halfway through the week, I realized he hadn’t even logged onto RM since signing in and he probably was going to no show. A half completed verse by me is enough to take me to Round 2. MOMMA, I’M BIG TIME NOW!!
    WINNER: Ink – based on sheer awesomeness (I’m still going to run around and brag that I won as if he actually showed and dropped his best verse ever)

Round 1 Advancing Writers:
    Matty P, Black Jesus, Cereal Killer, InsaneVillian, J. Keeper, Kuja, nO gOoD!, Ravenous510, ShadowWarriorfs, T.a.C, Ink

[youtube]ov1eTM2T8HY[/youtube]​
    test
  3. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

ROUND 2 Review

Matty P vs. Black Jesus:
    Matty P no shows and Black Jesus wins.
    WINNER: Black Jesus – No Show

Cereal Killer vs. InsaneVillian:
    Cereal Killer drops a full verse and completely obliterates IV’s verse (which was nonexistent). He chose “You are an Aztec warrior, and all of a sudden you see a strange ship approaching from the ocean” and killed it. Story progression, rhymes, word choice, all came together seamlessly. I’m going to guess this strong showing was because he was writing against IV. So if he writes a less amazing verse against you, it means he thinks less of you and you should be very insulted. (On another note, someone tell Microsoft that “cereal” is a damn word and that I did not mean to type “serial”)
    WINNER: Cereal Killer – No Show

J. Keeper vs. Kuja:
    J. Keeper is clearly a superhero running around saving the world, or something equally as impressive, because what else could he have going on that’s more important than showing up for a battle? Maybe he was changing in a phone booth and got locked inside. Kuja wins with a no show verse.
    WINNER: Kuja – No Show

nO gOoD! vs. Ravenous510:
    Ravenous gives us a little glossary before the start of his verse. Personally, I’m more of a “if you don’t get it, then it’s on you” type of guy, but can’t argue that his choice is probably a better way to go. Ravenous’ verse on the topic of “Sin” again showcased his impressive lyrical talent. Dude can flat out rhyme and that was more than enough to pull a win over a no-showing NG. Guess NG is No Good for showing! HAHA! Wordplay! Clever! … … laugh, damn you!
    WINNER: Ravenous510 – No Show

ShadowWarriorfs vs. TaC vs. Ink:
    Whew! This was the best battle of the week. Mostly because all the other battles were determined by no show, partly because these three have crossed paths many times. The fun began with a little pre-match smack talk where Shadow claimed this battle was going to be a rape, TaC said he didn’t want to send them packing, and Ink hoped they wouldn’t be bitter after the battle. Shadow dropped first, tackling the "Sometimes you have to find the beauty in the darkest of places" topic and telling a very solid story about a father caught on a battlefield from the perspective of other civilians observing. TaC and Ink chose the same image, and while they both centered around murder, they were very different. TaC described a cult that profited off murder and the resulting publicity for those people. Pretty sick (most of his stories tend to be that way) when you think about some dude killing people and then using money he got from it to send his kid to college. TaC has a lot of pent up anger from working at Buffalo Wild Wings, I guess. Ink’s take on the same picture had us constantly flipping from third person to first person, drawing us into the fractured mind of a killer who tried to fool himself into believing he was the victim. The true and false memories don’t line up and the dude loses it.
    WINNER: Ink – 3 to 0

Round 2 Advancing Writers:
    Black Jesus, Cereal Killer, Kuja, Ravenous510, Ink

[youtube]eUawT_tl7sg[/youtube]​
    test
  4. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

Semi-Finals Review

Black Jesus vs. Cereal Killer:
    Black Jesus stuns us with an underwhelming performance in the form of, yes you guessed it, a no show. CK still posted his verse however, instead of a no-show verse. His story was told from the perspective of an angel, the premise being that an angel dies every time a murderer is born. Our hero, the angel, fails to kill a child who ends up killing her parents. The murderer is born, and the angel becomes undone. I don’t know about you guys, but in the beginning I was sure it was in the perspective of the Angel of Death, just killing someone for the heck of it. … That was probably just me. CK cruises to the finals on the backs of two no show matchups (though that’s not to say his verses wouldn’t have won if the opponents had showed).

Kuja vs. Ravenous510 vs. Ink:
    Another three way matchup for Ink and Kuja/Ravenous510’s first for the tourney. Kuja chose the creepy baby carriage picture and told a story about a guy moving into a haunted house. Takes note guys, do your research before you buy a house. The ghost turns out to be the disgruntled spirit of a mother who lost her child… who kills the man in anger. Seems a bit unfair, if you ask me, but eh… life sucks.

Ink’s piece was about a man recording his life with a goggle camera (for those that don’t know what this is... a good example would be the GoPro cameras). A very reliable source has informed me that he was not expecting the threeway. So he was intending to either beat Kuja by matching him in storytelling and besting him in rhymes, or matching Ravenous in rhymes and besting him in storytelling. For the threeway he was hoping his take on the topic he chose would help put him over the edge for the win.

Ravenous wrote a topical rather than a story. A legit, though not very common anymore, approach to the RSTL. His verse covered the topic of Poison, bringing up the media as his example of choice. The verse, like his others, featured a more audio-orientated writing convention, where rhymes aren’t exactly always at the end of the line and the flow isn’t steady throughout. The voters weren’t feeling Ravenous’ topical approach enough to give him any votes, and Kuja one ups Ink.
    WINNER: Kuja – 2 to 1 (Ink) to 0 (Ravenous)

[youtube]xUcJRKVuPak[/youtube]
    test
  5. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

FINALS

Cereal Killer vs. Kuja:
    For those that don’t know, these two are in a partnership known as “Duality.” The jury is still out on whether this is of a romantic nature or not. They both bring similar skillsets in that they both can tell a story extremely well. Their past rounds showcased their ability to write killer verses, and there’s no doubt they’ll be bringing it to prove to the rest of the RSTL which member of Duality wears the pants in the relationship. If I had to predict a winner, I’d have to go with CK on this one. They’ll both drop something great, but CK has been better with wording and rhymes than Kuja in my experience, so he’ll edge him out in that area. But for all we know, battling CK could bring out Kuja’s inner hulk and he could take the win.

[youtube]5BrkmIqUXck[/youtube]
    test
  6. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

Power Rankings

These rankings will put less weight on a writers win/loss record, and more weight on the difficulty of their opponents and how they fared on those battles. i.e. No show victories will weigh less than victories over people that showed and one victory over someone who has been undefeated may mean more than three wins over weaker opponents. An amazing writer who has only faced weak opponents will not receive a good ranking in this system. People that did not show in the first round or only dropped no show verses are excluded.

1. Kuja –Two no show victories, Win over Ink.
    2. Ink – Win over Shadow and TaC, loss to Kuja, one no show victory.
    3. Shadow- Win over SiegeSupreme, loss to Ink.
    4. Cereal Killer- Win over Breathless, two no show victories.
    5. Ravenous510- Win over RicoSuave, one no show victory.
    6. T.a.C- One no show victory, loss to Ink.
    7. ~Matty P~- Win over Aesthetic.
    8. J. Keeper- One no show victory.
    8. nO gOoD!- One no show victory.
    9. Know the Ledge- Loss to Kuja.
    10. SiegeSupreme- Loss to Shadow.
    11. Breathless- Loss to Cereal Killer.
    12. RicoSuave- Loss to Ravenous510.
    13. Aesthetic- Loss to ~Matty P~.

Verse of the Tourney (excluding finals):

CK – Angel of Horror
    Read the verse here: http://board.rapmusic.com/rapmusic-...-1-black-jesus-vs-2-candy.html#post1069688402

This was too good of a verse to be wasted on a no show battle. Wanna know why it was selected as Verse of the Touney over other verses? Well, just read it. It should be quite apparent. (Which is my way of saying, I’m too tired and have too much other things to do)
    test
  7. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

CONCLUSION

And this, ladies and panty men, is why you need to be more discerning in who does the mag. I encourage you to all grab some popcorn and watch Kuja and CK duke it out to determine who will be the champion of this seasons RSTL Tournament. I also encourage all of you to vote on this match so you can contribute to the crowning of our new Tourney Champ. The new season will be up in…. I have no idea, but it will be up in the future! So come back in a few and sign up for the new regular season! Until then, payce.
    test
  8. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

Big Props to Ink for doing this!
    test
  9. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer no ESCAPE

Huge props for such a truly great read.. Thanx ink..
    test
  10. Muti

Muti I just write

that Prince backwards was pretty nice..the parody was funny......the mag..good read...
    test
  11. Aesthet1c

Aesthet1c The Morning Star

Thanks for the Mag Read.

See yall next time ;)
    test
  12. TheInkwell

TheInkwell New Member

i wanted to do more in depth break downs of everyones verses, but the time constraint rendered that impossible haha.. glad people are liking it regardless.

i have no idea where that Big L video came from, that wasn't the video i intended to be in that spot... lol
    test
  13. Kuja

Kuja Jack Skellington

Great mag here Ink, as for not wearing the trousers, its only because there too tight around the crouch for me lmao, just kidding CK bud ;)
    test
  14. Ravenous510

Ravenous510 Well-Known Member

I think that Shadowwarrior is the first person I have seen write about my submissions who actually understood my intended premise for a verse.
    test
  15. TheInkwell

TheInkwell New Member

^ if you're talking about the mag write up... that was me.

Shadow could never understand you like i do.
    [youtube]vJ-QNfMKxOY[/youtube]
    test
  16. Ravenous510

Ravenous510 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was talking about the mag write up.

I definitely appreciate the fact that you comprehend my subject matter, particularly that of my final entry, (the one in the three-way match up).

I think, though, that you would feel much differently about my "flow" if you heard my verses spit aloud.
    test
  17. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

:funny:
    test
  18. TheInkwell

TheInkwell New Member

Rav: yeah thats the thing about RSTL. It isnt about audio at all, so adjustments need to be made to accomodate for the fact that people are reading, not listening..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.