Lupe Fiasco's The Cool VS Nas' Illmatic

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Jan 6, 2008.

?

The Cool or Illmatic?

1. The Cool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Illmatic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Just click on the number to see who voted
    test
  2. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

my style switches like a faggot
    but not bisexual
    im an intellectual
    of rap im a professional
    and thats no question yo!

why fill the cd with a bunch of "extra bullshit?" cause it's an album and not a demo tape. why make a movie an hour and a half long when u could keep it down to 30 mins + commercial breaks?
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Most of you Illmatic-haters are incorrect in judging a 1994 album with a new millenium perspective.

Rap music has changed drastically since then.

The problem isn't in the album, but YOUR expectations.

You can't get mad because it doesn't have any party or club songs... that wasn't Nas' style back then... that wasn't NYC's style back then... the basic underlying theme of Illmatic, which Nas and AZ repeated on "Life's A Bitch," was "keep it real."

That meant... keep the production 'no frills'... keep the lyrics raw... keep the content REAL... no biting, no R&B, no bullshit.

That album had a lot of old school and underground heart... it was vintage NY hardcore ghetto music.

It was ART.

Fuck your formula expectations.

They don't apply.
    test
  4. Stez

Stez New Member

Umm yea alot of movies can be cutt down a lot and people would say they were better if they were. As long as you aren't taking out scenes that contribute to the plot and character development or have some kind of contribution to the overall feel of the movie. There is several songs on this Lupe cd that can be taken out without effecting the overall message of the cd at all. I guess its personal opinion I would rather have a cd with 10 tracks that are all dope, than a cd with 19 tracks, only like 10 or 11 of them being dope. I guess thats just me. Its something special about being able to listen to a cd all the way through without hitting next.
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

so I guess biggie didn't exist in 94.

test
  6. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I actually hit next several times when listening to illmatic. I automatically skip to NY State of mind, then skip to the world is yours. SOmetimes I listen to halftime. I usually skip one love. I used to skip One Time For Your Mind because it sounded too much like filler, but now I play it every time. Not sure why I like it so much because I still think its filler. and then I listen to the rest of the album.

...by the way, I HAVE listened to illmatic all the way through millions of times. I usually cant stand to listen to that one love beat. Such brilliant delivery for such a corny xylophone beat.
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

That was Puffy who wanted those songs, not Biggie.

Leave it up to Biggie, his whole album woulda been hardcore.
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Ironic for a Bone fan to say that... that VIBES beat is crazy and one of the illest on the whole album.
    test
  9. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

yea but if a movie only contains 30 minutes of worthy scenes out of 1 1/2 to 2 hours of footage.. then it's not a great movie. remove the unworthy scenes and cut it down to 30 min and its still not a great movie, it's a great tv show.

im by no means endorsing lupe fiasco... i havent even heard his album. im also not saying that illmatic would be better with 9 wack tracks thrown on the end.. but it would be a lot more impressive to be "so consistent" if he kept it up for the entire duration of a normal album. i think he did a much better job on it was written. even the weaker tracks are listenable.
    test
  10. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

but biggies album was still better than illmatic
    test
  11. Stez

Stez New Member

Thats insane. There are no skippable tracks on Illmatic imo.
    test
  12. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

^^You seriously dont skip the genesis?
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

i still play sega cd.......
    test
  14. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

how is anyone incorrect in judging an album based on their own standards and this time period?

I'm supposed to pretend it's 15 years ago when I listen to something old?

I just focus on what I like, not all that "what era it was made in", "what it means for hip hop", etc. Just what I think sounds good.
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

no one has an opinion that is wrong except dream..........there are things that come into play when discussing if an album that isn't even a month old, somewhat of a let down, and hasn't widely seen as groundbreaking...........i agree about liking what you think sounds good, shit i listen to jerry garcia and david grissman, playing miles davis songs on the guitar and mandolin, more than i listen to rap a lot of the time.........people can still make incorrect judgments within their opinions though........

This is just an nonsensical statement..........as part of a larger retarded opinion......
    test
  16. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

that's exactly what I've been saying, and I think it's exactly what I said in his Illmatic vs Food & Liquor thread too

I dunno where people are missing the boat on this
    test
  17. Stez

Stez New Member

90% of the time no.
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Because you're not using perspective...

You're applying NOW standards to a THEN piece of work...

Your criteria for dope hip hop music includes values that weren't even thought of or considered important back then... that's like penalizing The Beatles for not using synthesizers in their work... they weren't even invented back then.

And besides, why can't you judge a piece of work on ITS own terms?

Your expectations can never define art... art defines itself... you're being selfish and elitist when you do that.

"Fuck Picasso... his bitch ass should've used water colors instead of oils."

See, how you sound?
    test
  19. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

I never said what nas should have done. and I'm not being elitist.

I just don't see any need to pretend like it's my favorite album if I obviously like other stuff better. Maybe he did a great job with what was available. I give him his dues, I just don't like the album that much compared with a lot of other works.

The same could be said of most things, including art, as far as advancement goes.
    People who painted on cave walls had far less tools than later artists...and I'd much rather see later stuff when they had canvases, different tools, etc.
    Maybe these guys painting on the cave walls had more skill, considering the tools they had, but that doesn't make it better, right? I admire the work put forth, but I (and my eyes/ears) care more about the finished product.

I'm not defining art, I'm defining what I like.
    test
  20. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

tacit, it is hard to argue with him........he is tricky, he will make you see things the way he does if you argue for long enough.........it's weird, ig you should work in this biz
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.