Lupe Fiasco's The Cool VS Nas' Illmatic

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Jan 6, 2008.

?

The Cool or Illmatic?

1. The Cool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Illmatic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Wanted to see how this thread would differ from the f&l vs Illmatic thread I made

http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=1037767

this aint a thread to debate about classic status.

Just which one you liked more.

As any die hard Nas fan, I have Illmatic memorized, but I'd pick "The Cool" any day of the week hands down.

let the hating begin...
    test
  2. Stez

Stez New Member

wow.... The Cool is not even in the same sentence as Illmatic. Does Illmatic have any songs as bad as Go Go Gadget lol
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

way to pick one of the worst songs on "the cool" to compare to an album considered to be the best of all time.

how about this question.

Is there ANY song on Illmatic thats fuckin with Streets On Fire or The Die?
    test
  4. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

hating? nawww homie, the only thing I hate is this comparision....what I hate even more is that a week ago I was the main one pushing this Lupe is better than Nas thing, but now I see how fucked up my perspective really was.... Lupe's lp is on some "I dont know who the fuck I'am" shit....prime example being Paris Tokyo...I mean coooome on, dude claims Tribe didnt influence him, then he turns around and does a song where he's rhyming over a De La sample using a NATIVE TONGUE type of spitting style, but Tribe didnt influence him? the nigga aint have one song on the lp that sounded like UGK or PSYCHODRAMA, but he claims that's where his influence comes from.....

I finally see the light.....so ask yaself as a HIPHOP FAN, what would you rather hear? halftime or Intruder Alert? One Love or Superstar? NY state of Mind or Gold Watch? The World is Yours' or The Die? lol, fuck outta here with this "I was born in 1987" thread.......The Cool vs illmatic is like Ali vs Mayweather, Mayweather may be the best to date, but Ali is the greatest of all time, even if Mayweather could woop his ass today.....
    test
  5. Stez

Stez New Member

but the thing is what whack songs are on Ilmatic?? Song for song Illmatic is solid all around, no weak songs at all, no filler. Thats why I think its better. It also sounds alot more cohesive to me, everything fits together perfectly. I think The World is Yours and NY state of Mind are as good as those songs.
    test
  6. Stez

Stez New Member

well put
    test
  7. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

The Die? are you fucking serious? are you talking about that wack ass double time song featuring wack ass gemini doing his best twista impersonation? is that the song you mean? if so, every song on ILLMATIC CRUSHES that song, every fucking song.....please dont start using streets on fire as a foundation for why lupe is god of the emcees...yes, streets on fire is an incredible song, but so is THE WORLD IS YOURS, NY STATE OF MIND, HALFTIME, ONE LOVE, LIFE'S A BITCH, etc....
    test
  8. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

I think that Illmatic is better than The Cool.
    test
  9. vandalism

vandalism the king

no, he compared the worst song on The Cool to the worst on Illmatic... and the Cool's was much worse.

Streets On Fire and The Die are good but NY State of Mind, It Ain't Hard to Tell and Memory Lane are better tracks, to name a few...
    test
  10. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

I still dont get how "the die" is a good song...its barely a song, lol...they trade some uninspired double time verses and the joint ends, I just dont see what makes that song so dope....
    test
  11. nappyjim

nappyjim Active Member

IMO Hip Hop Saved My Life is the best song on Cool
    test
  12. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

lol @ illmatic having no filler...

one time 4 ya mind one time!

I actually like the track, but its obviously filler.
    test
  13. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

definitely
    test
  14. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Barely a song? Uninspired?

Do you even know what this song represents?
    test
  15. vandalism

vandalism the king

well yeah, streets on fire is better than the die. The die's nothing special but it's aight, it's listenable...
    test
  16. mr.mdz

mr.mdz Never Lie

I think Illmatic is a better CD but I enjoy listening to The Cool moreso.

Illmatic is like a CD that I've gotta be in a certain mood to listen to. The Cool is whatever.
    test
  17. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

pleaaaase, Lupe's little concept didnt go over my head, I get the whole purpose of the die, but its still weak imo....when I say uninspired I mean Lupe's delivery, it sounded like he was just going through the motions.....and its barely a song, as if its there strictly for the purpose of completing the story and not to be a dope song.....when I first saw the tracklisting I was expecting a dark detailed joint about the death of "the cool", but all I got was some wack chicago "snyper style" throwback featuring TWISTA's little clone gemini, lol, pleeeease, shit gets no play in my whip or home stereo, lol.....Intruder Alert, Fighters, HelloGoodbye, The Die, Gold Watch, Gotta Eat, te hook on superstar, the hook on Dumb it down, and the intro are all throwaways imo......Streets on Fire blazes HHSavedMylife imo.....

and "One Time" is not a filler joint imo, I fucking love that song, take that out and you remova a piece of a perfect puzzle......
    test
  18. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

i actually like gotta eat a lot........the beat is horrid, but the lyrics are out there and pretty clever..........i like go go gadget flow, it could have been done better, but it is cool........all in all, this album is too all over to find any real cohesion.........but maybe lupe did that to fuck with me
    test
  19. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

The Cool, no question.

I think Lupe he is one of the best overall emcees out now when you facor in everything from production/beats, flow, voice, content, etc.
    test
  20. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.