loving the 5 day split

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LiveFromThe781, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

so this week ive been trying out a 5 day split as opposed to my usual four day. i just started deadlifting again and its too much to try to break a DL PR then go do a set to failure then go do 3-4 sets of benching right afterwards...yea talk about CNS fatigue. so anyway after i did my DL stuff i was fucking gassed, hit 405x2 the week before so i got a little cocky and did 405x1 then tried 455x1 and barely got 1 side off the ground. after that i went back to 405 and could only hit 1 so then i went down to 315 and hit 9. i caught my breath and went to the bench and even warming up with 135 felt much harder, i went up to my next warm up of 185x5 and i knew there was no way i going to beat last weeks numbers so i just said fuck it lemme try out a 5-day for once and see how this goes.

so far so good, granted its only been 2 training days with legs coming up tommorrow (wed). today though chest felt great. i did much better on the bench, hit 225x7 on my own then got some slight assistance on 8 but number 9 was majority spot. after each set of bench id jump on the pec-deck to fatigue the chest because i was feeling my triceps give out first. just from super-setting between that my chest was dead. i did some Hammer Strength incline and then i was like wow, my chest is dead and ive only been here under 45 minutes. it was weird being close to done so fast so i just went and did some more pec-deck work and then called it a day.

im gonna try to go hard on squats tomorrow, i think ive improved my shoulders so that i can use a slimmer grip and hopefully ill be able to put up some nice weight. ive been doing leg presses for the last month or so anyways so i feel like going toe to toe with the beast again. i also wanna blast some RDLs i felt kinda good when a guy who i thought was bigger than me or at least in the same area had to do 90lbs less than me on em. i plan on going at least 245x10 on my first set, ill probaly hit 12 and go up another 10 lbs just for shits.

only thing im slightly concerned with is getting CNS fatigue from doing 5 heavy compounds a week. its what ive been doing (even with the 4 days) and honestly ive been feeling a bit more tiredsome lately i dont know if its all in my head or if its just a psyche thing from outside stress factors - theres been a lot lately which have had me less enthusiastic than usual.
    test
  2. Thoughtz

Thoughtz Well-Known Member

Good shit, are you taking roids too?
    test
  3. LiveFromThe781

no, im natural for now. i will admit though im doing some light research on them (light meaning here and there ill check out some stuff) and im planning on doing them in the not too distant future. right now i still need to get a handle on eating -ive been really dependent on shakes lately although that may be more seasonal related than anything as appetite decreases in summer months.

today was pretty tough. i started off with squats, hit 275x 14 or 15 then i decided to try out 315. i was so beat from the first set i wasnt sure if id be able to hit 1 so i kicked the bar away that some lady and her trainer were using and said watch out cause if i dont get it up im dropping it. got under, went down and the first one went well then i said lemme try repping it til failure, so i went down again and got it up clean...went down on the 3rd and then my form got fucked. i started tilting forward and lost my composer, i felt myself leaning too far forward for comfort and decided to drop it. only thing is this other guy who works there doing sales and is about half the size of my dick said oh why dont you just use a bench since you dont go down all the way anyway, i felt like fucking slapping him for saying that. instead i said what would the point of a bench be because im still going to drop the weight if i cant get it up. i think he felt kinda dumb after that.

afterwards i went over to leg press and did a breathing set of 15 with 4 plates. i felt very beat after that and kept feeling like throwing up was imminent. caught my breath sort of after a few mins and then grabbed a barrel put it by the press and hit a straight set of 15 with 3 plates. after that i went over to the plate loaded leg extension and just did some reps with 35 a side. i never count reps on the leg extension, i just usually do a drop set but today i was too fatigued for drop sets so i just did one set, little rest, reps again then changed foot angle and did some more.

after i finished up quads i just felt sick and dead. i still needed to do hams but i wasnt sure if i could handle the RDLs (romanian deadlifts). i said fuck it, if i hurl then i hurl and if i do then at least ill give these cocksuckers a demonstration in how to push yourself. so i go over load up to 135 for a warmup and did that then loaded up another plate on each side. i went over sat down and contemplated if id have enough go in me or if id even be able to handle a warm up with 225. after all that i goit up and loaded another 20lbs on there cause i was thinking well fuck i already said i was gonna do it so im gonna do it. suprisingly i got at least 10 reps in. i wanted to stop at 9 but i used what i said yesterday as motivation to get to 10. i think i only got like 6 or so on my second and last set then said at least ive done this much and did 2 sets on the leg curl with whatever weight.

i went outside and just my luck its raining out so as im walking through the parking lot on my way home with what mustve been a damn half gallon of water in my stomach from the shake i had before, the water during training and then the water w/ creatine afterwards i just kept thinking damn im gonna hurl..no, no im not ill be fine if i dont think about it. i tried to close my eyes and walk and then i got the taste of creatine in my mouth like it dissolved and came back up. i drank a little more water to try and wash out the taste or at least get it back down there and then bam i get this visual from The Wildboys were they drank some cleanser tea shit to throw up and i remembered the narrator saying how theyd drink water to induce vomiting and i thought "aw fuck, its over now". i tried fighting it off but there aint much you can do about it and i threw up once..then twice...then about 3 more times. each time i couldnt believe the amount of water that was coming up i was like how the fuck did i have this in me???. i was fucking pissed cause of how much came out my nose so i went into the Dunkin Donuts with a possesed look on my face that made some haitian guy in there turn around and watch me as soon as i walked through the door. i just blew my nose about 4 times then left and went back to the gym to fill up my water so i could take more creatine.
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

alright im just gonna turn this into a day-by-day log then. if i open one up on t-nation im just gonna use the same posts as i post on here too. please feel free to interact and ask serious questions as id like to see this thread (if not entire site) stay somewhat alive.

well i stopped using a logbook a few months back so everything from shoulder day (last thursday 7/3) is going to be from memory.

i started off with shoulder presses, hit 155x6 and then hit 175x2 after and then i think i hit 1 again on the next set followed by repping out with 135 so it went

shoulder press 155x6/175x2/175x1/135x?

after that i went over and did some good ole front delt raises ill spare the linear log shit for this one as i barely even count in my head how much im doing when i do them. i may try keeping better track if only for the sake of this but probaly not lol. anyway i started off with 50's and worked down from 40's to 35's to 30's i didnt drop set id just use less weight on the following set while keeping the reps higher than the previous set so like if i used the 50s for 8 id use the 40s for like 12 or so, etc.

i was in a bit of a rush to get to work and shoulders is a relatively light day for me anyway, i only do about 3 exercises and if i have time i do calves. my shoulders were actually already burned out from just those 2 lifts but i wanted to make sure i did another so i hit up the read delt fly machine. ive only done rear delt flys once before so im kind of suprised how easy they are for me but i guess just overall my delts are ok and i think having good middle traps helps out as i tend to notice a slight burn there when i do them.

since i talked about calves earlier i figured id bring up my way of calf training. i call it my way because i never read about it in an article, book, or ever heard of it. its extremely simple and while my calves arent big enough yet to say that this is the best method of training i still want to keep using just because i figure calves are either a have or have not for people. its very hard to build calves if you dont have them naturally so i figured if thats the case then let me at least play around with something that hasnt been done before (at least to my knowledge).

ok so my calf method/theory came from two observations. first is that if you compare your upper body to your lower body in terms of levers, muscle function, placement etc youll find that your arms and legs are pretty similar. ill kep it brief but basically the calf and the forearm are similarly located and connect to similar joints so basically serve the same function. forearms are also similar to calves in that theyre another muscle that generally you either have or dont. but most people with big forearms including myself will tell you that they didnt really do much for them except use them for gripping heavy weight. this is where my style for calf training comes from, that all you need to do to maximally stimulate the calf muscles is to put it under a heavy constant strain. fat people also always have huge calves and fat people have to constantly support that heavy weight (stress on calves when calves are flexed, like walking stairs) so all i do for my calves is just load up a seated calf raise with a bunch of plates, like 4 or 5 and just hold it up for as long as i can (averaging a minute or so). well see in time how well it works but ive noticed a little growth, at least enough that im willing to try it out longer..plus i want to be right lol.
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

alright so i skipped friday's arm day, yeah yeah it was 4th of July and i was dead tired anyway so whatever i just drank like 12 beers throughout the whole day and i didnt drink for the rest of the weekend.

today started off the week again and i went to the beach earlier so i was pretty wiped just from having the sun beat down on me. so i went in did chest, hit 8 on the bench with 2plates although i had a good amount of assistance on the last rep.

then went down to 5x225 then a little rest, 5 or so with 185 then i just repped out with 135. after that i went to incline and went

135x6/135x7/115x12 or so

like i said it was a pretty light day so i just wrapped it up with a few sets on the chest fly machine and called it a day.still got some decent chest stimulation and am planning a much better day for tomorrow when i do back.

off topic, at the beach there was a rediculously huge guy. this dude absolutely put me to shame and made me feel emasculated. his pecs were like twice the size of my head this guy looked a week away from competing in a heavyweight class show. it was some decent motivation though and sort of reality check of how big some people actually are.
    test
  6. rocker314

rocker314 Rock Star

wow long posts
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.