Looking to purchase new setup..ground up

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Jayuno718, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayuno718

Jayuno718 New Member

I know you guys get these threads all the time and i've done some research but i still want someones help who knows what they are doing.

My boy got a new mac and he uses a $400 bluebird and mbox mini 2. we dont really know anything about mixing or editing the vocals. This is a track that was done on this setup.

YouTube - Beamer benz or bentley remix Jay uno, vinnie vibez, o.m.o Reggie mids or headies

Im on the first hook and first verse... I feel like the bluebird muffles my voice. I have a deeper voice and im trying to find a mic to compliment it. any suggestions?

Also is there a better interface i could purchase near the same price as the mbox? I have heard about the presonus tube pre?

I was leaning towards the rode microphone but have no idea which one to get.

Thanks im looking to purchase this stuff within the next day...
    test
  2. TrackMakerz

TrackMakerz TrackMakerz

Try the reaper program,it's cheaper and it gets the job done for me...Hope this helps out....!
    test
  3. Jayuno718

Jayuno718 New Member

what is the reaper program?? Im lookin to order through sweetwater on their 3 payment plan
    test
  4. Jayuno718

Jayuno718 New Member

My budget is 2000 , any help?
    test
  5. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Ok bruh.. I wouldn't say that the bluebird is necessarily muffling your voice.. chances are this has more to do with the mixing than the mic.. on the same note.. I scored a bluebird 4-5 years ago and took it back the next day.. just wasn't a match for me..

some things to consider here.. with mics it's difficult for anyone to suggest one, because what matches my voice may not be a good match for yours.. feel me? So be very careful what advice you follow with mics.. the best thing you can do that I can't stress enough.. is to test them out.. but keep in mind that just like the mic must be a good match for your voice.. the preamp you send it though must also be a good match for your mic.. if you're not planning on getting a preamp right now and you'll just be going through the preamp on your interface.. then don't worry about that for now..

heads up.. the presonus tube pre is not an interface.. it's a preamp.. it's not bad for the money, but it isn't what you need if you don't have an interface..

as for interfaces.. one that I hear a lot of people praise over the mbox is the MOTU stuff.. check out the motu ultralite mk3 or the 828mk3.. they both have onboard dsp effects, compression, eq etc.. this would be a pretty good solution for you if you aren't also getting a preamp.. If you have a mac.. the apogee duet is a great sounding interface, you probably couldn't go wrong with that..

Don't skimp on the mic... a lot of vocalist will swear up and down the mic is the most important thing.. hearing your voice, I would recommend that you consider the Mojave Audio MA-200.. it's a tube mic and sounds great on a wide variety of vocals when going through a nice solid state preamp.. I think it would be a pretty good match for the MOTU stuff.. but again.. it's quite possible it just might not be a match for you.. so be carefull here.. but that being said.. this mic is often compared to the Neumann U87, which has a bit of a hyped high end.. might be just what you need to add some clarity to your vocals.. but you need to learn more about mixing and editing, because an amateur mix will make even the best equipment sound like shit.. in fact.. the better the equipment.. the easier to screw it up in the mix..

You might try using a vocal exciter in your mix to help your vocals punch through a little more.. if you don't know how to create one.. it's easy.. duplicate the lead vocal.. run it through a high pass filter and boost the high end of the duplicate to taste.. set the level just below the original lead take.. really easy, and really effective..

The MOTU interface and the MA-200 are within your budget.. and really, there isn't much else in that range that I would recommend that would do you any more justice.. there's a lot more out there in that range, but I don't really think there is much of anything else that would sound better providing it's a good match for your vocals.. maybe the same, but just not better.. personally I think your vocals sound pretty good on your boy's setup.. if I were you.. I would put that 2k back and save until you hit the 5k - 10k mark and then you're really talkin about improvement.. it will be critical for you to gain mixing / editing ability, otherwise you might find yourself blaming your gear when it's not really the case.. hope this is helpful.. don't be afraid to pick the brain of the sweetwater rep.. ask for a rep who records rap music.. If that fails, ask for Robby Resnick.. he's not rap, but he's knowledgeable.. best of luck.. hit me up at roushy1@gmail.com if you have any other questions. pz
    test
  6. Jayuno718

Jayuno718 New Member

MY budget is 2k for everything....

I was already looking into the vocal reflection filter so thats $1700 left for the Mic. Interface, preamp and monitors, cables
    test
  7. Jayuno718

Jayuno718 New Member

Roush is the man, thanks for hitting me back in the email
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.