Looking to drop $1000-1500 on recording equipment

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by iLoveEbay, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

I have a brand new top of the line HP desktop w/ firewire. I need an upgraded sound card, pre-amp, mic, etc. What do you guys suggest I throw my $1k down on?

I was thinking a Rode NT1A mic, and M-audio Mobile pre. Any suggestions?
    test
  2. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

soundcard: maudio 192 audiophile
    test
  3. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

Thanks! What are your thoughts on the Mbox 2 Pro? I'm going to cop a new dell and replace the soundcard with the maudio 192.
    test
  4. Predator INC

Predator INC New Member

man let me tell you this i got the regular mbox 2 and an audio technica 3035 and that mug makes shit sound like something more higher end. if i was you tho the next time you get a large amount of money get you some auralex foam. acoustic treatment is something that can never be sacrificed. its the difference between an amateur and a professional. but if i was you - save some more dough and get the digi 003 ya diiiig. protools is nice too but if ur getting a new dell - chances are its gonna have windows 7 so make sure you install xp on it cuz the only drivers availible for win 7 are betas and they do mean beta lol. i tried installin my mbox on my buddys lap tap n he had vista and it still gave me probelms. if u want protools to run flawlessly - get a mac or get xp. lol. holla back.
    test
  5. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

I appreciate the advice bro. I was looking at the digi003 as well. I'm definitely going to look into the foam. I bought a pre-fab bare-bones booth, so i can treat it myself and make it just the way I want it.

That fucking sucks that protools won't function correctly on Windows 7.
    test
  6. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

Just so you know you don't need to buy auralex any generic single cell foam actually performs the same or better
    test
  7. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

If your just recording vocals, I'd just cop an mbox mini, for like 250, and then spend a g on a mic neumann tlm 103 or 102, avalon single channel pre, or UA solo 610, its all about the mic and the pre the rest is all about the same until you get to HD

Neumann TLM 103 | Sweetwater.com
    test
  8. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

Appreciate the info. When you refere to "HD" at the end, what exactly are you referring to. Also, are there still compatability issues with mbox's and windows 7?
    test
  9. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

ProTools HD, I don't know about the windows 7 but last I heard yes.
    test
  10. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

I found a way to have a dual-boot option on my computer, where I can launch Windows XP or Windows 7, niiiiiiiiice. So I'm going to cop an Mbox 2 Pro, and install the PT under the XP, and just use Windows 7 for everything else. Thanks again for the advice capital!
    test
  11. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

Depending on how new your machine is, if you have an intel processor you could probably install mac osx on there too, if you really wanted to get crazy, if you interested in that just google hackintosh
    test
  12. ffgghhjj

ffgghhjj New Member

Choo lives in London. jimmy choo He is currently involved in a project to set up a shoemaking institute in Malaysia, where his iconic status is often evoked to inspire budding shoemakers and fashion designers. His company Jimmy Choo Ltd. produces some of the most expensive high-end shoes.Our designer replica handbags can wear well with any accessory on purpose.jimmy choo shoes Meticulous pieces on the replica handbags absolutely shock your eyes.Jimmy Choo Keenan Patent Leather Sandals Black patent leather strappy sandals. Peep toe silhouette. Ankle closure with told toned side buckle. Leather upper, in-sole and sole.
    test
  13. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

This......
    test
  14. TrackMakerz

TrackMakerz TrackMakerz

I got a mpc 4000 for sale too add to your collection..
    test
  15. MoretimeProd

MoretimeProd New Member

I agree acoustic treatment should be the first step, its easy to built some absorbtion stuff yourself, and you can also use some normal house stuff for absorbtion and diffusion.

I have the mbox 2 and a Rode NT2 A and Im really happy with it, but running it on XP and I can imagine that theres gonna be trouble yet with the newer versions of windows.
    test
  16. Auditory

Auditory New Member

i use a delta 66 and Record/Reason . works real well for me. especially with the new record and reason coming out
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.