Life

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Geedorah, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Exactly what I wrote, you dont know what happens after you die.
    test
  2. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

and what does that have to do with valuing the protection of other lifeforms?
    test
  3. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Because you dont know what happens after you die.
    test
  4. reggie jax

oh, right. you're trolling.
    test
  5. Geedorah

Geedorah King

No, Im not.
    Why do you have to kill something that cant do anything to you?
    test
  6. reggie jax

nobody said i have to kill it. people do a lot of things they don't have to do. maybe it's trying to suck my blood, or buzzing in my ear, or maybe it will lay its eggs and infest my house with its offspring. you still haven't given me a good reason why i should care about it dying.
    test
  7. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Cant reason with egoistic humans who value life with how intelligent something is, while humans cant live without piece of paper.
    If a person was stupid and retarded, couldnt do anything, you would have no problem killing him?
    test
  8. reggie jax

a retarded human is still vastly more intelligent than even the smartest animal. if the person was brain-dead then i wouldn't see any problem killing them. of course, i also value the potential for intelligence. so you could take a baby which is functionally not as intelligent as an adult, but eventually it will be. with a bug or something like that, it's never going to progress beyond its own primitive intelligence.

i'm not even saying this is the perfect model for why people value life, i actually do think it falls short of really explaining why we value human life to the extent that we do, but it's better than anything you've suggested so far.
    test
  9. Geedorah

Geedorah King

How can humans be more intelligent if they couldnt survive a year in the wild?
    Also humans going to wars which have nothing to do with them, but with the ones on top who are making profit on it?
    Do those things sound intelligent?
    test
  10. reggie jax

we're social animals and rely on other humans to survive, for the most part. there are plenty of social animals which wouldn't survive on their own if you separated them from their pack.

as social animals, humans have created an advanced infrastructure that we've all come to rely on for survival. of course, this infrastructure is only made possible by human intelligence.
    test
  11. Geedorah

Geedorah King

[​IMG]

Yep, really intelligent.
    test
  12. reggie jax

you know your posts are really starting to make me doubt human intelligence.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Sure thing.
    Humans believe in religion without any evidence or actually seeing God, that is intelligent.
    test
  14. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

@Geedorah, let me take a stab at this and try to explain why you're an idiot.

You say: We don't know what happens when we die.
    Your conclusion: Therefore we shouldn't kill things.

Am I right? Of course I am, I'm The House. But here is the thing... we don't know what happens when we die, does not logically conclude we shouldn't kill things. What you're *really* trying to say is you are afraid you'll be punished for killing things after you die.

Fear is a powerful emotion. Logic, however, does not accomodate fear.

When we die, since we don't know what happens, that means that any and all actions are equal in potential ramifications.

There could be a "one true god" who will punish you for killing a bug.

But at the same time there could be "one true goddess" who rewards you for killing a bug.

There could even be a pantheon of gods and goddesses, and you will be a slave to one depending on how many things you've killed.

Or nothing at all, so it doesn't matter how much you've killed.

That is the logical conclusion to the statement you've made.
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah holy shit broski!

now because of that this thread is two pages
    test
  16. x calibur

x calibur

recently I saw a mosquito sitting on my left hand. I smushed it, and it left a smear of my own blood. on one hand, I destroyed a simple life. on the other, the mosquito's life was, to me, not worth the blood it was taking from me, the disease vector risk, and the itchy bump caused by its saliva.

ultimately, all life exists under a ruthless energy exchange system. in human culture, we call it economics.

as for how to value life, that is a difficult question to answer. the best idea I can come up with at present is that greater complexity should be assigned greater value.
    test
  17. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

i don't believe in death, we evolve from this world to the next... humans are to stuck on life and death, but do you think time stops ???
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  18. AliceHouse

Well... space and time are the same thing so... yeah.
    test
  19. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Does energy just disappear after you die?
    test
  20. AliceHouse

test