lets discuss fossils

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Oct 22, 2013.

1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

How are fossils created and is it cohesive with evolution?
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

god created fossills.

woogity boogity!
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

Tisk tisk. i mean how are they formed
    is it slowly over millions of years?

Or rapidly by being covered by emense amount of sediment
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

"
    When animals, plants and other organisms die, they typically decay completely. But sometimes, when the conditions are just right, they're preserved as fossils.

Several different physical and chemical processes create fossils, according to the New York State Geological Survey.

Freezing, drying and encasement, such as in tar or resin, can create whole-body fossils that preserve bodily tissues. These fossils represent the organisms as they were when living, but they're very rare.

Most organisms become fossils when they're changed through various other means.

The heat and pressure from being buried in sediment can sometimes cause the tissues of organisms — including plant leaves and the soft body parts of fish, reptiles and marine invertebrates — to release hydrogen and oxygen, leaving behind a residue of carbon.

This process — which is called carbonization, or distillation — yields a detailed carbon impression of the dead organism in sedimentary rock.

The most common method of fossilization is called permineralization, or petrification. After an organism's soft tissues decay in sediment, the hard parts — particularly the bones — are left behind.

Water seeps into the remains, and minerals dissolved in the water seep into the spaces within the remains, where they form crystals. These crystallized minerals cause the remains to harden along with the encasing sedimentary rock.

In another fossilization process, called replacement, the minerals in groundwater replace the minerals that make up the bodily remains after the water completely dissolves the original hard parts of the organism.

Fossils also form from molds and casts. If an organism completely dissolves in sedimentary rock, it can leave an impression of its exterior in the rock, called an external mold. If that mold gets filled with other minerals, it becomes a cast.

An internal mold forms when sediments or minerals fill the internal cavity of an organism, such as a shell or skull, and the remains dissolve"

^^thats basically what i heard yo
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

good discussion

glad i showed up.

/closethread.
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  7. TheBigPayback

Thank u busta for that comic relief.

Good link tho.

is it me or did the forum just lack luster since my demodtion.

actually the whole site..it could probably all be traced back to that moment in rm history.
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

haha it wasnt a shot specifically at YOU... i was just dissapointed nobody participated except me.

and yes this forum does suck major ass now and it could be coincidence, but it does seem like it began when you left
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. TheBigPayback

Ill tell you why, i engaged the forum.
    there was always a conversation going.
    I was here everyday. between the two mods we have they only drop in once or twice a week at most. When i was there everyone posted frequently because they cared one way or the other about the conversations that
    were being had
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well as I know it now this forum doesn't have a mod. I think they kinda took away the mod spots for a few forums and are generally just patrolled by whoever.
    test
  11. TheBigPayback

Pretty sure lp an moe still modding
    test
  12. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  13. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

That's because the content of the thread can be answered with a simple google search - there's no point on entertaining it beyond just that.
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well i figured payback would have had something to say about fossils seeing as he made the thread
    test
  15. TheBigPayback

Well part of the question posed was answered but not the second.

but anyways the point was to discuss the topic is all
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

but there was no discussion. You an i are already on the same page about that yo
    test
  17. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Then allow me to address the latter part..

The existence of fairly complex organisms has already been established via fossils. That being said - I'm assuming your "cohesive with evolution" question was posed in regards that scientists encountered a problem where many of animals found fossilized haven't shown traces or links with other species that existed before. There's discoveries being made on a daily basis and just because fossils that would be considered missing links haven't been found yet, it doesn't mean they don't exist..

A lot of water had passed since Darwin's time and if the bearded grandfather knew of discoveries of modern genetics, he'd probably solve this thingy as well..

I'd recommend you research articles about Cambrian explosion - not a single hypotheses explaining this particular explosion is contrary to Darwin's evolution, even more - some of them are quite directly related to it..

A scientific theory isn't absolute, nor does it sometimes apply in all circumstances. Theory, if necessary, gets supplemented or replaced by new ones - which are more general. Even Darwin's theory of evolution is no exception, and in some cases it's been upgraded with additional mechanisms (adaptive mutation - a novelty* in the armory of evolution), but nevertheless Darwin's explanations still hold and successfully explain even such novelties*..
    test
  18. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

So much for wanting to discuss.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thats what im saying yo, even chuck norris thinks this thread sucks
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  20. GaLaTeA