Let's Debate

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by -Oz-, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

I'ma just throw out a topic I was just randomely thinking of...

The "Realer" games get, the less fun they get.

I think this is kind of true, I used to always strive for life like games and shit, but as we get closer and closer, are these games REALLY any funner than the animated and stupid shit we played as kids?
    test
  2. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I agree with this statement. Take Splinter Cell: Double Agent for instance and the enemy A.I. Games like that just begin to frustrate you beyond belief..not only that...but...the learning curve for learning the controls for games that are more realistic is just ridiculous. Even basketball games are becoming super complicated control wise. Damn, I never thought I'd see a game where people would be trying to find me with flashlights...or I'd face computerized enemies that "think" and attack in human like manners.

I also think that this realism idea is making developers lazy. They are not focused on the fun factor or the replay value of a particular game. After you beat Splinter Cell..who the hell would want to go through that nightmare again? If you beat GOW...who would actually replay it? So..I think developers are just trying to wow gamers with graphics...but...the gameplay ends up being bland.

Me..I was always a Super Mario Bros. fan....there were only like two buttons...one for jump and the other to shoot. Hmm..for Splinter Cell for 360...try using ALL OF THEM...and some have to be used in pairs. Try using two analog sticks....one for walking...the other for controlling a camera....PLUS all those other buttons for weapons...attacks...etc. Gaming is getting crazy now.

In short...I just think developers are getting really lazy when they make these games. Either that...or the realism is SO realistic that it makes you want to break the controller or lose ur mind when you play(ala Splinter Cell Double Agent). Life already sucks as it is..and we as gamers play to get away from life for a while. BUT, too much realism is in these game nowadays........to the point where it's not even fun to play for more than 15-30 minutes at a time.

By the way...I bought Mega Man X Collection for PS2...and NO next gen game has provided the type of fun and excitement that I get from playing Mega Man..I LOVE that game. Megaman X games have SNES type graphics but the fun factor is like..WOW! Forget Splinter Cell!! I've actually resorted back to playing Sonic the Hedgehog games and Golden Axe. Damn, retro gaming is the stuff!
    test
  3. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

i think you guys just had no experience with computer games and are just getting smacked in the head with the advances in gaming that you havent really seen cause youve been only playing nintendo, snes, and genesis and never really played computer games.....

i mean dudes always talk about goldeneye being the best shooter of all time...but someone like me who had duke nukem 3d, quake and doom would highly disagree......

i mean just complaining about walking and controlling the camera is hilarious in this day and age...have you never played a computer game with a mouse and keyboard??....thats just my opinion
    test
  4. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Def jam 3 Enough said.

Will be the Wrost realistic game with a touch of irony known to man.
    test
  5. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Word @ Never playing computer games. I never did, and I never will. Computers aint for gaming for me....iunno.

Anyway, my best example has to be football games, like Madden. What the fuck happened to throwing the ball and catching it? Now the games are so fucking advanced, a casual player has no chance on the internet, because you have to literally control every aspect of your lines.

But to recap what I said, I didnt say anything about the games being harder. Even though they are, thats not the problem, but we always strive for more and more and more realism, and I'm starting to think that might not be as important as I once thought it was.

Take a racing game for instance, the original Gran Turismo was the greatest racer ever, with just enough depth. Now its like, you gotta spend all your time fine tuning shit before you can even race, always adjustng settings...ya know? Its like...is this suppose to be fun?

I always loved Metal Gear games, but the more realistic it gets, the worse it gets. Take Snake Eater, worst in the series. Do I really have to feed a fucking character? Do I really have to go through this same process of healing every time I get shot? Its cute at first, but as the game goes on it just gets annoying and stupid. These are the things Im talking about when I say "Games getting realer".

Same can be said for GTA San Andreas. Did anyone really have any fun making their fucking character work out and eat...and all that other nonsense?

The controls aint really what bothers me, even though they have become far more advanced, its still the same streamlined shit basically. Besides, most games cop out with the "A button does everything" shit anyway. So once you get near something, just press A and it takes care of everything.
    test
  6. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

i guess im just elite at splinter cell, i really thought it wasnt hard lol

anyways yeah i agree though, i had most fun with the 2D games way back an shit, i wont lie when i was younger i did my online thing, then they updated the game i played and made it 3D and so you cant fight each other an shit, man they ruined it, was definately one of the best games ive ever played

but yeah, fuckin when the first mortal kombat dropped, the early final fantasies, suikoden, wild arms, shining force, ranging a few different systems, i fuckin LOVED those games, i dunno if ive had as much fun since, i do like playing games online though with the newer consoles capabilities, but the gameplay and fun factor of the old games wont ever be matched

it might just be because were gettin older though

you never know
    test
  7. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Well as Madden goes further and further from football simulation, it IMO gets less fun.
    test
  8. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I've played computer games....Doom and Duke Nukem. I used to play mega man online using my keyboard.

Liquid....have you played Splinter Cell before..if you have...then you will understand what I am saying. The more freedom that you have in a game..the tougher the controls get....not to mention that the A.I. is incredibly stiff. For example....in Chaos Theory...if someone was after me..I'd just go into a room...shut off the lights and either hide behind the door or camp out to the right side of the door. Well, I tried that stuff in Splinter Cell: Double Agent ...

some dude got su••••ious...I first tried hiding to the right of the door....well...guess what....dude opened the door...turned on his flashlight..and instead of walking straight into the back of the room....he shined his flashlight to the right and caught me. So, I said..ok....I'll hide behind the door next time if I get caught. I did that....dude kicked the door hard as hell..and somehow I died from the door hitting me..wtf?

Stuff like that drives me up a wall...
    test
  9. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

That's the textbook response to everything: ''You just can't handle how hard the game is''.

Games were harder back in the day anyway, there were no save points, no check points no nothing.

Anyway, yes I agree. Realism ruins games if it's taken too far. GTA is a prime example.
    test
  10. Look im Gangsta

And Goldeneye is a top 3 FPS of all time.

It's nice to see that one 10 year old game, is still such a threat to the 'untouchable' Halo franchise.
    test
  11. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Exactly....Ghouls and Ghosts is a perfect example...the game was impossible. Mega Man 1....impossible. There were alot of games for Nintendo that were almost unbeatable...how abt Tyson from Punch-Out....
    test
  12. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

i dunno why realism ruins games though

you dont ever remember playing a game and being completely unseen yet know that had it been real life theres no way that guy couldnt see you?

id rather him react as a real person would, and actually see me, and actually look everywhere instead of 1 spot, or come in the room differently everytime so its unpredictable

how is that not fun?

maybe its a difference of who likes a good challenge and who doesnt
    test
  13. Look im Gangsta

Realism is fine, but eating shit to gain health, having to watch your weight etc...

its tedious.
    test
  14. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Have you ever wondered why Sam Fisher was is never spotted in the dark when he has on those night vision goggles? If I saw 3 little green dots in a dark room...I'd get su••••ious. I always found that weird.
    test
  15. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

i agree about that i wasnt really talking about GTA but yeah, that was a little to much i cant front on that

i just mean more basic shit, i was specifically talkin bout splinter cell and like metal gear solid i think i never really played but last i seen it i think it had some shit like that to
    test
  16. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

I could never beat Tyson, but my buddy could. There was a pattern to it. But those guys were game hypes. I remember dude broke his SNES cause of some game. LOL, too funny.
    test
  17. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

hahaha yeah
    tyson was a beast in that
    and whats his name
    mr dream?
    a fuckin monster
    test
  18. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I still to this day can't beat Tyson..I own all those other guys though.
    test
  19. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

There was 2 versions. First was Punch Out and that had Mr Dream. Then to sell more copies they come out with Mike Tysons Punch Out, which is essentially the same game, but Mr Dream is black.
    test
  20. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

They had a black Mr. Dream?? I didn't know that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.