Let's Be Real

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by MaDneSstheKing, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzy Dunlop

Fuzzy Dunlop this ainta pageant pimpin

^^^ well its only the people who are doing that who make it like that. (granted, which is the vast majority of battle rap)

The fact that the vast majority of fans, and rappers perpetuate it is the only reason "battling is never true." I'm not arguing that battle rap at this stage isnt like that, because it is. But I'm saying it doesnt have to be like that.

Battle rap originally wasn't about people calling each other faggots, it became that. It's not like someone has to say dry 100% factual observation statement sentences.

You can still use metaphors and all that and there still plenty of creativity way to do you without talking about your breakfast or movie collection.

I am kinda torn on the subject cause like I said earlier, if people are acting "too real" then it definitely wouldn't be as popular and probably would be less entertaining overall.
    test
  2. Philosophist

Philosophist Rice da 5'9

Then I realized... that Gay Shit... RHYMES WITH FAYGIT! JESUS FUCK HFK, I THINK WE ACED IT!
    test
  3. Tricky P

Tricky P Well-Known Member

Biggie wouldn't have written Dead Wrong if it weren't for fabrication
    Eminem wouldn't have written Guilty Conscience

almost any FUNNY line in battles wouldn't exist if it weren't for fabrication.
    its really hard to make a joke without using at least a little bit of an artistic license.

I'm curious, no disrespect Fuzzy, but who are your favorite battlers?
    Do any of them use purely factual content in their bars?
    test
  4. 6thSense

6thSense Ashwin

Uhh, I brought up the topic months ago and didn't get much response.

http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...w-u-they-just-gon-know-u-creative-person.html

Guess this "crisis" wasn't at its peak. Plus it wasn't a renowned battle rapper starting the thread. I was really curious what peoples' stance was. It is a really important discussion to have, at RM at least, since we're as battle nerds as it can get, you'd think BVA as a community would've upto a certain degree come to a conclusion on it. We look pretty divided with some new off-the-wall suggestions like comparing it to acting and movies.
    test
  5. Fuzzy Dunlop

See to me it's not so much about 'purely factual content'. That is an extreme and I think there is middle ground that a lot of people pull off. It's about what you are doing is representing who you are. That doesn't mean you can't exaggerate or use any artistic license. There is a fine median I think between what some of these clowns do and what the kind of people I'm talking about do, but you are right there is always going to be some stretch to make it entertaining.

Heres an example of what I'm talking about:

illmac in the 9dm battle talking about how he fathered 9d style. I realize that every sentence isn't a literal thing that happened, but what he is saying holds true and its not fronting in any way.

Or when illmac was talkin about how 9d lives next to his parents. Thursday doesn't have to be literally Karaoke night. Im not gonna call illmac a liar because they actually go to karaoke on a wednesday. what he is saying is not fronting in any way.

Or if a guy is just bigging himself up. like "moon walk with steel toe boots on" - that is a dope line even if he cant really moon walk with steel toe boots on" because in saying that he is not fronting in any way.

These examples (def. not the best examples just some that popped in my head) the guys are clearly not saying "purely factual content" but they are on that middle ground I am talking about. Artistic license within reason imo

But charron talking about splashers and how hes gonna kick someones ass, how is that not fronting and putting on an act?
    test
  6. Fuzzy Dunlop

Basically its not so much about exact 100% truth in very sentence, but more people being true to themselves.
    test
  7. ControllerBeta

ControllerBeta New Member

There's something about that thug shit that brings out a visceral reaction from certain people. You never see people say this shit about torture rap, or fake personals.
    test
  8. Tricky P

Tricky P Well-Known Member

ok i see where you're coming from here Fuzzy
    i guess its just a matter of relative believability, which is more a style preference issue in my opinion. to be honest i highly doubt any battle rapper shoots people, and if they do they're foolish for snitching on themselves in their battles. so i just don't take anything anyone says seriously. except for the true shit of course. i can't front i love it. but i like the creative stuff as well.
    and i definitely agree that people should try to be themselves. but this is entertainment so its always gonna be a slightly exaggerated version.
    test
  9. Fuzzy Dunlop

^

yea im not exactly riding for this shit either. more playing devils advocate since people seem to think its either 100% fiction or 100% truth.

I do think a lot of the entertainment comes from the fiction and battle rap wouldn't be anywhere near as popular without it (which would be bad for you guys battling) so i can see both ways
    test
  10. PriceAintRight

PriceAintRight Never been to TRL

Yo, just so you all know, this is a very, very good thread. Looking at all sides of the discussion, and some excellent points have been made. Props.
    test
  11. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

Let's Be Real, How u Think u 'gon see may
    my girl look like free, yours look like free-way (OHH!!!)
    test
  12. Mistake

Mistake Dougie Darko

i really dont care either the first time i saw gun bars by what shitheads consider a nerd rapper it was funny i guess.. It just seems like every cunt wants to do it now.. And imho there so easy to write
    Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
  13. Fatty Goodness

Fatty Goodness Registered Bruiser

Fuck all of this. Fuck you Madness. I battled like three times so far gun bars in all of em. The first time I was expecting laughs, I thought I was being ironic. But the crowd loved that shit, i got that "uuuggghh". It's so much better than getting laughs. I'll keep using em too. I don't give a fuck if you think white kids spitting about guns are corny, I'm a fucking good writer suck my dick.

Snubs, knives and samurai swords tbh. Goon Squad.
    test
  14. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

Jesus Christ, that was some thinly sliced ham. How real was that shit?

GS
    test
  15. DeathChamberz

DeathChamberz From the Page to da stage

THis says it all
    test
  16. DeathChamberz

DeathChamberz From the Page to da stage

Torture rap in most situations is known to be creative stories

Jokes are just that jokes

But street raps were supposed to be a Keep it Real mentality and some guys don't like that todays generation seem to not care about that
    test
  17. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

"Gun bars" are still great. And I don't feel they're any easier to write then any other bars, I DO feel that currently even the bad ones aren't criticized as often because right now they are "all the rage" lol.

Which is basically the overall problem, its as though they're almost "trendy" right now, which is gay as fuck.
    test
  18. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

why don't u try drinking in a...

~gun bar~
    test
  19. BasedDIGLETT

BasedDIGLETT KINGLETT

test
  20. swpstateofmind

swpstateofmind i got da burna

dead...