Let's Be Real

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by MaDneSstheKing, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaDneSstheKing

MaDneSstheKing Critical Madness

Stop fucking rapping about guns if you have NEVER been around that shit.

There's this new term "Gun Bars" and it's corny. Remember when nerds hated SMACK battles? And now they're all on street battling's dick trying to emulate it. Horrible. Us that know the time HATE you haha.

The phrase "Keep It Real" is now non-existent. Let's go back to knocking people the fuck out.
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 2
    test
  2. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

The day I can verify what a battler has and hasn't been around/done, I will. Until then, I'll just listen to what I enjoy.

That happens to be gun bars.
    test
  3. Mofuccas

Mofuccas New Member

They sound good tbh. Lots of battlers also say they're gonna punch, fuck up, kill, strangle or whatnot battle but lets be reality, they wont ever do it. They also talk about raping or having their way with their opponent's family or some shit but we know it aint true.

Hell, even pat stay wont punch foreman if they met i think.

Battling is projecting a persona, not some real life shit. There are only a few battlers who dont rap made up stories and make them look good.
    test
  4. MaDneSstheKing

Rich white kids from the burbs are pretty easy to figure out haha. Maybe the SMACK ones not so much but I know you know what I'm talking about.
    test
  5. MaDneSstheKing

This is what I'm talking about though. I hate to be the "I'm from a different era" dude but I am. Even when it was only freestyle battling you didn't front. You'd get your card pulled in a second. "Keep it real" meant something. Now it's like a hobby for some kids to just battle and rap "gun bars." It is the corniest thing I can think of. Get someone from my era in here.
    test
  6. ErikForeman

BTW, the criteria isn't really what makes it cool anyways. Guns in rap are just a popular subject in street battles imo, but it also represents a stylistic approach.

If someone is rapping about faggot jokes or dicks, chances are I can tell you their style of "rapping" before even hearing them or knowing who they are. The same goes for rappers that focus on guns.

The pattern has been, highly flow based/RAP based battlers mention guns/street shit. More laid back styles with less flow and more theatrics usually focus on other criteria/content.

When I say I like gun bars, I'm only talking about the style that backs it up. If HFK started doing gun raps, it wouldn't at all be the same thing. Same with a street battler rapping about a guy being gay. Somehow I can listen to that more without cringing.

Its all opinion based.
    test
  7. JerzisGod

JerzisGod Wavy Jones

Big fan of gun bahz to keep it 100
    test
  8. JerzisGod

JerzisGod Wavy Jones

so if u can't rap about guns if u never held one then u should also not be allowed to rap about fuckin some one sister or mother unless there proof you did call them a fag unless there proof ther gay say they have aids unless u have there aids test results smh come on ur sounding like a hater breh
    test
  9. ErikForeman

At this point I can't see battling as the same as back in that era though. We've crossed a line of no return, where dudes are just rapping.. noone cares anymore if they're real or not.

We have rappers on both sides of the spectrum fabricating lifestyles and facts. The shit has become more about entertainment and less about validity. Do I dislike that? yeah, I guess I do.. but I just decided to roll with it after a while.
    test
  10. Tricky P

Tricky P Well-Known Member

me and Madness discussed this at length on facebook and i share pretty much the same sentiment as you. If you don't like hearing a nerdy guy with glasses rapping about guns then that's fine. And if he gets G-checked after the battle then that's on him. I just don't think realness should have any bearing on the judging of a battle if the bars/delivery are on point. There is no way to actually fact check any battler so all you can really go on is entertainment value.
    If I actually believed half the shit my favorite mcs say in their battles I would not be able to watch their videos anymore.

music is reflection of self and realness should be appreciated but in a sport like battling everything has to be taken with a grain of salt anyway.
    test
  11. JerzisGod

JerzisGod Wavy Jones

I would have to agree with the point of some nerdy dude spittin gun barz that shit is beyond fuckin terrible and lame
    test
  12. ErikForeman

Sometimes when done in a comedic way, I can enjoy when a total nerd raps about guns. It's just funny and imo its poking fun at himself without actually having to say it.

We all know they don't "bust chrome" so it's an irony kind of thing.

Now, street battling is different, but not so much anymore... battlers like Goodz/Swave/ICE are in short supply as everyone wants to rap about fictional events when they don't back it up.

I think some battlers have just got with the times, but when a battler stays true, that's when it's the best tbh.
    test
  13. ErikForeman

Yeah bro, def don't watch my battle in a few days. I went for that ironic kinda thing, certain people will hate it.
    test
  14. Tricky P

Tricky P Well-Known Member

i'm not the biggest fan of gun bars myself to be honest.
    but when someone spits one that is musically on point i can't help but appreciate it. regardless of who they are/how they dress.

"put the chrome to his cranium,
    CLICK CLACK BOOM, turn his dome to a stadium!"

that's probly my favorite one.
    test
  15. JerzisGod

JerzisGod Wavy Jones

Tbh I like ur gun bars for the most part ya the unbelieable as fuck buut they are also pretty clever n well written iit not like just some nerdy white guuy spittin generic gun bars that the shit I really don't like
    test
  16. swpstateofmind

swpstateofmind i got da burna

I own several guns and I carry everyday. With that said, rap is just entertainment at the end of the day. Almost every battle / industry rapper is "fake". This is just a sport, where rappers use ANYTHING to lyrically break down their opponent using gun bars, gay jokes, etc. So tbh, it's really stupid to say rappers can't rap about guns when it's such a big part of "battle rap" in general.
    test
  17. Fuzzy Dunlop

Fuzzy Dunlop this ainta pageant pimpin

What about in music?

Does the EF argument apply to only battling?

Like do you expect people to 'keep it real' more so in music or do you apply the same standards as battle rap?
    test
  18. ErikForeman

To me, music is ALL about being genuine. If you're not being yourself, I can't listen.

That Vinnie Paz shit gets no plays around here.
    test
  19. itslinx

itslinx Unngghh!!

Obviously original is original when it comes to the actual lines. Someone like EF can have more original gun bars than anyone. But does the fact that he doesn't fit in a certain image mean he shouldn't be saying those lines? Lol, I don't know. I feel stupid saying yes and I feel stupid saying no. At the end of the day (I hate that saying), they're just lines. I guess someone could take the shit serious one day and call you out on it, but that's a risk you'd have to take. Whether we like it or not, it's at a point in battling right now where gun bars are pretty much accepted by anyone. And not for nothing, but having someone like Hollow The Don or Arsonal spit gun bars doesn't make it more believable than someone like Madness or Kid Twist. You know what i'm getting at there.
    test
  20. Fuzzy Dunlop

Fuzzy Dunlop this ainta pageant pimpin

I agree.

but why in music is being disingenuous so frowned upon, but in battle rap its openly accepted?

I guess I get the swp argument that battle rap is more of the 'entertainment' side hence the wwf type antics that go along with it and that music would be the more serious side and they have different expectations but in the end its all hip hop and rapping.

Makes me wonder how many people on this board/battlerap are fans of hip hop music or if they only like battling
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.