LeBron James in H.S.

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Brahman, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i remember back in the day when lebron was still a senior at st. vincent-st. mary's, i was one of his biggest hypemen on this board

i made a thread for everyone to post their predictions about his rookie statline, and i came the closest to being right

i may be off by a few decimals, but i specifically recall saying his statline would be 16.8, 4.3, 3.8

everyone called me crazy and started posting mostly single-digit scoring averages with 2 or less rebounds and assists per game

lol

just felt like reminiscing and patting myself on the back
    test
  2. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

No you didn't.

Sort of like your Gerald Greene for rookie of the year prediction.
    test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

the gerald green thing was a joke

i only saw one game of his and went over-the-top with the hype because of the tracy mcgrady comparison and the fact that he's from houston

i was dead serious about lebron though and had the most accurate expectations of him
    test
  4. G-Rob da great

G-Rob da great Fear moondog.

I wasn't here then.

I thought LeBron in his rookie year would average around 14 ppg, 4 or 5 boards, 5 dimes (remember, LeBron started off playing point guard in his first season- so I didn't think the assist factor was too much).

Also, BEFORE THE SEASON, I predicted Carmelo Anthony to win rookie of the year because I felt he was more NBA-ready and I thought he'd easily have the better first year of the two.
    test
  5. G-Rob da great

Anyone who thought he would average single digit scoring simply wasn't paying attention.

It was well known that he'd get a significant amount of minutes and touches from the get go and he averaged like 30 at Saint V.

Saying "he'll score in double digits" was a given.
    test
  6. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

whenever brahmans wrong he claims it was a joke.
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i bet you cannot cite any examples
    test
  8. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

i didnt think he would Average double digits in his first year. thats not saying i didnt think he would be good. but untill the Mcdonalds allstar game the only guy i say him play that seem'd like decent compatition was DJ Strawberry. and at the time i thought he embarrassed DJ. BUT i king of chalked it up to DJ being over hyped. Now i know DJ's one hell of a defender and Lebron made him look silly. i'll admit when im wrong and i was wrong about how well Lebron would do in his first year.

in saying that i still think the rookie of the year was Dwayne Wade. i been saying that ever since. i think he was the best rookie that year. i wasnt suprised when Lebron won over him i was stunned when he finished third to Mello though
    test
  9. G-Rob da great

Every single year people want to link rookie of the year to winning, but it's not about that- it's about the best individual rookie performance.

That's why LeBron won it 2 years ago and why Okafor won it last year (over Ben Gordon). It really doesn't have much to do with winning and team success unlike say the MVP award.

Wade didn't start coming on until the playoffs of that year, and yes LeBron and Carmelo were at home watching him at the time the controversy arose but people tend to forget that particular award has little to do with winning teams.

LeBron's 20-5-5 rookie year was in some VERY elite company and had not been done since Jordan's rookie year.

I felt he was very deserving of the award. I just thought before the season Carmelo would be the guy.
    test
  10. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

Wade started coming on right about during the all star break of that year. He started off good in the beginning I think he fucked up his wrist or ankle and that slowed him down a lot.

And I could have sworn the Nuggets made the playoffs that year also?
    test
  11. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

didn't the controversy hit full-swing in the eastern semis when the nuggets had already been eliminated?
    test
  12. WWIII

WWIII It has begun...

well everyone around here knew lebron would be great.. I watched him play my old high school team. he was unbelievable. we were actually in the game though until second half he exploded
    test
  13. G-Rob da great

Yes.

And that's what I meant Mind-soul. That's why I said he didn't come on until the playoffs- it was basically considered LeBron's or Carmelo's year for the taking until he kinda stepped in that 7-game series and semi final matchup and let it be known he was that third guy.

For a body of individual work in a regular season there's just no way Wade deserved that award more than LeBron. Carmelo was a little deserving and it's arguable, but Wade simply did not perform better than either one of them that year in the regular season.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.