Laugh tracks: Interesting factoid of the day

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Sir Bustalot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

they use them to tell us when to laugh, and give the illusion the studio audience is killing themselves laughing, and in turn upon hearing others laugh its more likely we will too because its contagious..

so where are these shows that are actually getting people to laugh that they record these at?

just kidding its sound effects

you didnt actually think it was people laughin did ya?

but anyways, little known factoid: it was first used on a tv show in the 50's that was very unfunny and they added the laugh track to make the host seem hilarious. The show only lasted 3 yrs and was called the Hank McCune show... althouh the show was short lived, the laugh track survived.
    test
  2. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Fewer shows have them now. Its become a sign of shows that are hackneyed, which makes sense
    test
  3. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

Yeah, social facilitation. I tend towards shows without laugh tracks. Corner Gas being one. People say the show is dry, I contend it's the laugh track they miss, because as they watch the show, their laughs don't coordinate with jokes. Which is a strange phenomenon. Weird to see people not know when to laugh.
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i see no evidence that fewer shows have them

i was about to say every sitcom uses them but then he mentions corner gas which doesnt lol...

so i guess thats evidence that fewer shows use them lol
    test
  5. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

I think he means shows like Community and Arrested Development.
    test
  6. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Yeah and the office, parks and rec, always sunny, workaholics, eastbound and down, peep show, etc.

Good shows such as fresh prince and married with children and that 70s show used to have them, now you find them on 2 broke girls and big bang theory and 2.5 men. I cant think of any great shows with them. Himymother was the last and it is borderline trash now.

Did the too much laugh track turn it into trash? Hmmm
    test
  7. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

they had laugh tracks on ''Urkel'' as well, Lang...
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

they are pretty annoying i find. But some shows it doesnt bother me, and im not sure if its the volume of the sound effect, or if its just a shitty one that sounds bad... i dont know
    test
  9. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i might check out corner gas, so far so good with your recommendations.

the only show that i can bear to watch that does have the automated laughter is probably seinfeld.

:numaan:
    test