Ladies, children and work places..

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by GaLaTeA, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

Lots of working mothers have an option to make full use of their workplace daycare which is really fantastic, but alas, not all companies have them.

So, here's the question; would you take full advantage of a workplace daycare vs. leaving your offspring with a grandparent or a babysitter?
    test
  2. MissAndrya

MissAndrya Evolution is what is.

That would definitely require some investigation. For me, personally, it would be about convenience and cost. My son is 23 now, so I haven't a need for for daycare (most days, lol), but I know several women who do. It also depends on whether or not that child is in school (some single moms don't have the luxury of working 9-5), and therefore can't rely on workplace daycare.

In a more direct response to your question, however, I would use workplace daycare over a sitter, but not over grandparents.
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

You do raise a lot of valid points.

I know the cost of those varies ~ but isn't the cost of one related to one's salary class? Also there are pros and cons to convinience (work effectiveness doesn't suffer, in case of emergencies the mom's not far away, etc. ~ the only con I can think of momentarily would be being separated from the child).

Speaking for the country I'm from; children of parents who work crazy hours on a regular basis or need to stay at their work longer just a few days out of the week have an option of leaving their kids in after school "extended program" ~ which comes helpful a lot (kids do their homeworks, have play time, etc), however, the kids can stay there only to about 6 p.m. or 7 p.m. (at the latest).

So it's on to plan b.

Grandparents for the most part make the best sitters ever, tbh.
    test
  4. MissAndrya

MissAndrya Evolution is what is.

In some cases, yes, but usually that's for low income situations. They gear what you pay to what you can afford, as in a percentage of what you make. This usually applies to government funded daycare, at least here it does.

I don't know about workplace daycare, but in schools the programs are usually only before and after school. This is convenient for school age children. All day daycare often finishes by 6pm, again causing a problem with shift working moms. I don't know of a system that covers all three. Grandparents or a sitter work best for this I imagine.

I agree.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.