Kung Fu vs Karate (Bare knuckle)

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Crates, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

This is from a 1982 tournament. Check their technique.

• Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

intresting..once grappling is put out of the equation..

so much rigidity excactly what bruce lee meant with..styles being too limiting.
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

rules being too limiting as well

also this is point sparring. Once someone scores you re-set, so its nothing like real fighting

I love traditional MA

i point sparred a brown belt karate guy when i was just a beginner in Wing chun and i kicked his motherfuckin ass up and down and it was awesome to see how my MA was far superior to someone who had been practicing for years... But i was fighting, he was playing the point sparring game. I got disqualified for hitting to hard and too many time to the head.

bruce lee was correct, but he had a physical disability that didnt allow him to perform the martial arts he was taught correctly. One of his legs was 2" shorter than the other.
    His original style was Wing chun, but he never even finished half the system because he was physically incapable of performing it correctly. He altered his MA to fit his body. Jeet Kune do, in my experience with them over the last 6yrs hasnt been good. All the Jeet kune do guys i know lack foundation and Bruce also built "cockyness" into the style which can be a huge negative.... Not saying Jeet kune do sucks, it comes down to how good the practicioner is, but My wing chun has been miles above any jeet kune do practicioner ive met. We ended up with former JKD guys in our school because they saw the level we were being taught was much higher than the level they did

everyone looks at bruce as the ultimate traditional Martial artist, but he was just the best one who was in the public eye. Many of his kung fu brothers in china could have kicked his ass.
    test
  4. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to checkout any other fights between traditional striking styles look up some Manup Standup fights on youtube.

Here's a Wing Chun fighter vs a Kick boxer.

test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah i havent seen that series, but ive seen many shitty martial arts vs martials videos on youtube.... lol many prove how much bad martial arts schools are a problem, and that there is TONS out there.. Ive been to a Mcdojo, my karate training was like that. My tae kwon do was legit and my wing chun is legit. There is tons of bad wing chun out there. This fight i like, one of the first that ive liked on youtube actually featuring a wing chun guy. I had one on there a couple years ago of me beating down that brown belt but it wasnt my vid so my sifu made me take it down because i was kind of disrespectful in the details about it. It was one of the better displays of wing chun at work on youtube for sure. I wish i had it..
    test
  6. UnbrokeN

a martial art can always only be as good as its practicioner
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thats what i said is there an echo in here?

:) lol
    test
  8. UnbrokeN

i know..i just summarized ur post

-...and u caught me doing it.
    test
  9. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

highly doubt that.
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

doubt away

maybe a stretch saying many... but thats just cuz it sounds like i mean lots... i mean there were people he trained with who were more skilled

i also would think that in all of china there were probably more skilled people

its not like bruce lee was found after a search through billions of asians doing kung fu and hand picked

he was definately the only asian who had the charisma/skill/acting combo that supassed anything anyone had seen

not saying he wasnt skilled as fuck. I just think there was people more skilled that just didnt get the hype or limelight at all.
    test
  11. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Busta hating on Karate.

Can't stand for that shit.

We only did point sparring in training for tournaments.

Everything besides that was real sparring.

Kempo is one of the most destructive forms of martial arts out there.
    test
  12. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

haha i dont hate on karate, just saying there is a lot of mcdojos out there which is true, and its common in karate because karate was so popular that it created a lot of good practicioners but also a lot of shite, which opened schools. Just like right now there is a lot of shitty MMA schools.
    test
  13. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Fair enough -_-.

My sensei was a from Marine who spent a decade + in Okinawa learning Uechi-Ryu Kempo from Master Uechi himself.

We ain't no Mcdojo.
    test
  14. Makabreli

Makabreli done

test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

my friends dad lives in the middle of nowhere in some shit town, and he runs a Karate school there, and the grandmaster from Japan come to visit for a seminar as they always do, but he refused to go to this shithole town unless they supplied him with a hooker and booze. So they did.
    test
  16. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I respect that man.
    test
  17. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

I think how effective a style can be can come down to many factors. But one of the main ones is how a practictioner has been taught to apply that style to different situations. Keep in mind that people can be attacked in many different places and coming from different types of attackers.

Many martial artist are accustomed to fighting in dojos. But once you step outside your dojo you will be in a variety of settings that will change how you will apply your style differently than how you use it in your dojo. In a dojo you tend to have open space on a level ground. But lets say a TKD stylist is attacked in a narrow hallway or crowded resturant. How will they apply TKD for those situations? TKD is generally known for it's variety of kicks. Some of those kicks might not be the best option in an area with limited space. So you will need to rely on other TKD techniques that will work better for closed spaces.

This same idea goes for other styles as well. Again what is the best way to apply a style based on the situation? How would a shotokan stylist deal with someone stronger than them? What's the best way to apply shotokan on stronger attackers? Or supposed a BJJ stylist is attacked in a resturant? They're more likely to land on some tables rather than the floor when attempting a takedown. So what's the best techniques to apply from BJJ when there isn't much floor space?
    test
  18. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

^^this is true

there are a ton of schools that only ever spar or fight against other practitioners of their style, so they get lost when up against someone who doesnt do what theyre used to having their opponent do...

but the ratio of people who know how to fight to people that have 0 training or practice whatsoever is quite lopsided. If you trained for years and years and attained a high rank at your style, and fought a nobody who didnt know anything and never had fought, and you still lost its definately your schools fault for teaching you incorrectly and giving you a fals sense of security... Cuz if you suck that badly you definately shouldnt of gained rank....

but then again some schools are just teaching the style and not teaching how to fight with the style. SOme schools just want to teach you the curriculum and thats it, they could care less if you know how to use it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.