Knaan writes an article on how his label asked him to censor himself.

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Sep 13, 2013.

1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/o...g-himself-for-success.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Its basically about how before his 3rd album "Country, God, or the Girl" his label had a meeting with him and asked him to americanize his lyrics for this album and talk less about the struggles of his old country.

I noticed this when I heard his last album... there were fewer tales of his Somalia days and more tales of the "american" struggles that the people in his songs had.

I know a lot of you complained about this when I posted tracks from the album, and I figured the label had something to do with the "safe" approach to this project.

I guess every artist has to go through this at some point.

...and as much as I hate to say it, I still fucking love "Country, God, or the Girl"

shit was safe... and not as unique as his previous 2 albums, but damn it sounded good.
    test
  2. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

"to deny me is to deny my father"
    test
  3. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

that's so fucked up.

why should he rap about american struggles when he grew up in canada?

:numaan:
    test
  4. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

What label is he on? Kinda getting tired of these rappers signing with majors and then getting all pissy about creative control...in this day in age you know what you signed up for. Labels want money, not the dopest artist...if you wanna spit what you wanna spit then go indie. Maybe once all the dope artists are indie, the majors will realize they need to change their approach and we can get back to some balance in our mainstream hiphop...but there's no reputable artists left to fight for hiphop, they want their money too so they try to play both sides of the fence.
    test
  5. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

well said.

test
  6. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

If this was before 2008, I would disagree with everything you just said. but in the world of social media, you can build a buzz and a fanbase without a major label. Macklemore showed us that. dude went platinum.

knaan aint broke. he can definitely do his own thing and his fans will support him.
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

but wouldn't he have had already signed on the dotted line?

or sold his soul to the devil as illuminatists would have you believe?

test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

This could seem like the safe approach for the label, but it could also be looked at as the more risky approach....business mixes with art and tempers flair on all levels....labels need artists, and artists need guidance, but from whom is the question
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

good thoughts.....

What would the other side of the fence be for a person who has the job to sell their music?...
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

exactly. this is what so many label execs dont understand.
    test
  11. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

They do, but they are more business than ever, cause the biz is in need of businessmen to restore business as it was.....but mo way will that ever happen or ever should....things are a mess, and there is so much out, and it is overwhelming really....the more music I hear, the more an artist is guilty till proven they have a reason I feel like I should peep......

Dream no one really does though.....we can all feel like if so and so did this, then they would have been dope and loved by most.....But that cannot happen anymore, cause artists do not get the chance to develop these days......no one wants to make money slowly ya know.....Labels labels labels.......they will find themselves again.....
    test