kendrick or not, rass kass will always be the king of the west for me ...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Nu'maaN, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

This... it's because there's so many wack emcees nowadays... Kendrick would be AVERAGE in the '90s... I said the thing about Blu years ago and this cat who was close to him almost went ballistic... but that's not to take anything from Kendrick or Blu... they're both dope, but not super dope in the grand scheme of rap music... they're just super dope TODAY.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

blu's always been dope, kendrick new on the scene.

can't even compare the two, blu on another level.

:numaan:
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

There goes that nostalgia nonsense. Kendrick would have been even MORE of a god in the 90's, fuck outta here.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

No.

He would've been a west coast Memphis Bleek.

He is better than Memphis Bleek, but that's what he would've been.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

highly doubt that, that's not even the nu'stalgia speaking.

consider jay z, he's the greatest right now, but when biggie and pac were reigning, he was basic.

this.

poor comparison but the point stands.

test
  6. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Memphis Bleek is a fuckin' terrible rapper lol wtf

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  7. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Memphis isn't terrible, he's mediocre as fuck.

See what I'm getting at?
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Nope, no nostalgia... just objective fact.. lol... Nas, Pharoahe, Prince Po, Biggie, Pac, Andre3000, Big Boi, Black Thought, Keith Murray, Kurupt, Prodigy, Souls of Mischief, Del, CL Smooth, etc. were/are all doper than Kendrick and Blu.

Lyricism was at a premium in the '90s... if you had any cursory knowledge of hip hop from '79 til today, you'd realize this.

Every genre has its golden age and it's not always about nostalgia... the '60s was the golden age for rock... and the third golden age for jazz... it's about great, classic music being made period.

And really, I can say that "latest is greatest" affects a lot of you youngsters more than "nostalgia" affects me... I realize that there was wack shit in the past and I recognize dope shit today... there are dope rappers today who are doper than rappers in the past... but there are waaay more wack rappers today than in the past... that is just a lyrical fact... lol.. I mean, are you listening?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I like Blu, but like Kendrick, I don't always like what he does with his flow... Blu idolizes CL Smooth, but CL Smooth is way doper and has a crisper flow... and sometimes, he's too esoteric for his own good.
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Kendrick is not even better than Kurupt... and I don't even think Kurupt is the best out of the west... Kendrick is dope among his peers... but all time? He's not even close.

Kendrick is competing with guys like Big Sean and Drake... rap has become more about style, swag and image... it has always been about that, but lyrics were in the forefront... now, they're an afterthought... swag is in the forefront.

A rapper like Kane had ALL of that... but lyrics were always #1.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  11. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Kendrick is a great rapper. Far from mediocre but of course not yet a goat.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  12. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Kendrick (like many rappers nowadays) have a lot of influences from the 90's and such, like a lot, to the point they don't seem that original. It's really hard to know what he'd been doing if he didn't had those influences. Like his aggressiveness that gave him the status he has wouldn't been nothing next to someone like Pac.

I think Kendrick in the 90's would've been nice, he nice I can't take that from him, but he wouldn't have shined as much. Or who knows... maybe with more competition dudes like Kendrick would've been even better.
    test
  13. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Ayo Ig, any new rapper nowadays really surprise you?
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I haven't heard too many classics this decade... last decade, there were a few... that Blu and Exile comes to mind... Little Brother's first... and that's probably it when it comes to new rappers... I like Kendrick, A$AP Rocky, Schoolboy Q, Flatbush Zombies, the BRF$T Club, Joey Bada$$ (it took awhile, but I'm feelin' him now), The Cool Kids, Action Bronson and that's all I can think of right now... oh, I also like XV... he had a hot single last year. I haven't really gotten into Odd Future yet... Dream keep mentioning them... that black lip bastard dude with the funny flow... I forget his name... he's alright, sometimes... he's different. I haven't heard much from Hopsin to move me because he tries to sound too much like Eminem.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

kurupt in his prime was unfuckwittable, i wish he carried his dogg food/streetz is a mutha skill for longer.

to say that we're just being nostalgic when we claim time itself peaked in the 90's, is not right.

it's a fact, everything was better in the 90's, i mean every thing.

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

:chefoooh:
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

People think lyricism has no ceiling... what is being done today that hasn't been done already? Nothing really... I've listened to a LOT of rap... I've been underground since the '80s... over 25+ years, I've bought and heard a few thousand tapes, CDs, DLs, vinyl, etc... singles and albums, b-sides, unreleased remixes, watched videos, attended shows, participated in ciphers, etc.... so I can emphatically say that lyricism has declined... it really did peak in the '90s... I can't think of any rapper post 2000 who has advanced lyricism to the point where I can say, "wow, I've never heard anyone do that before." That's not a bad thing, though... rap, like other forms of music, can still be GREAT without having to constantly advance. A lot of musical genres have plateaued when it comes to creativity and innovation... rock has peaked, as well... I mean, you have Radiohead who are constantly innovative... but their style is like a combination of that psychedelic rock from the '60s with some trip hop infleunces... R&B is no longer innovative... country, as well. Rap is all about STYLE now... and even with that, people are still copying other styles. For awhile, I thought that new staccato or pause and speed flow that Kendrick and others were spittin' really was new until I listened to some old 8 Ball & MJG a few weeks ago... MJG was spittin' like that in '93.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  18. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

There is always room for innovation.

Blu has a style of lyricism with a level of technique I have never heard before when he's on his best.

As time goes on there are innovators left, but fewer of them.

Hip-hop and electro are slowly merging. Those two crowds are getting closer and closer and right now are right next to each other.

Innovation is right around the corner, I believe.
    test
  19. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

First of all, nigga, I'm not young. Second of all, you're out of your goddamn mind if you truly think any of those people are better than Kendrick in any real objective sense. CL Smooth? Nigga try and be serious.

Remember when Eminem first hit? There were two groups of fans. Group one was made up of people who were amazed that a white dude could spit. Group TWO were people who were amazed at his uncanny ability to make words and syllables rhyme in a way that LITERALLY no previous emcee had. His sound was so fresh, he speeded by everyone.

Kendrick is very much in the same vein. Having something different to say, and doing it in a new fresh way. If he had dropped in the 90's he probably would have been Dre's number one and Pac would still be alive with no one calling him GOAT.

More wack rappers now than back in the day? Again that's that nostalgia bullshit. Selective memory. Jermaine Dupri was a thing at one time. Bobby Brown dropped bars from time to time for fuck sake.

And just to prove that your "latest is greatest" accusation is stupid (like your other opinions) I can point to Mos Def's work and say that has aged QUITE well. Ms. Fatbooty can still be compared to any top storytelling joint today and be ill. But for as godlike and legendary as TROY is...CL SMOOTH SUCKS DICK as an emcee.

If you want to give bias lip service to the past (like the old heads typically do) that's fine, but don't act like it's anything BUT bias lip service.
    • -Rep -Rep x 2
    test
  20. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

DP:

ITT, you niggas are terrible lol
    test