kendrick or not, rass kass will always be the king of the west for me ...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Nu'maaN, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Yo you brought this up before

I think you reachin, but it could've influenced/inspired him
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Considering Biggie's Frank White "King of New York" persona was inspired by a movie... and the fact that he and Pac were close friends during the filming of Juice, which had a big influence on New York, I don't think it's that big of a reach.

I wish I could find the answer somewhere... I had a stack of rap magazines (ie. The Source, Rap Pages, Blaze, Vibe, etc.) dating from the early to late '90s stashed in my mom's basement back in the day... and I used to read all sorts of information about certain rappers in them... I remember when Biggie, Eminem, Poetical Prophets (Mobb Deep), and DMX were all "Unsigned Hype"
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

This for me falls under the banner of influence rather than biting, and although pac was an influence to Big, he wasn't the only one. (plus remember Pac wasn't the "thug life" Pac until 94) Ready 2 Die had a lot of NWA influence in it, but so much of it was Biggie's own personal sound.

the reason I say rappers like Nas and Jay-Z were closer to "biting" rather than influence is the vast contrast to their work only 1-2 years before. How many gun references were in illmatic compared to IWW? same with cocaine. and even the beats had a much darker vibe like ready 2 die.

I made a thread a while ago trying to find a Jay-Z cocaine line before the original Dead Presidents song, and no one could find one. Dead Presidents 1 was the first track where Jay was like "okay, let me see where these cocaine raps will take me.

bottom line is that IWW and Reasonable Doubt (although the are both fucking awesome) scream Ready 2 Die influence.
    test
  4. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

LOL... dude, there were like 20 gun references in NY State of Mind alone... what are you talkin' about Dream? Remember, he was like "Scarface sniffin' cocaine, holdin' an M16...," "bulletholes left in my peepholes... hand me a nine and I'll defeat foes...," "4-5s and gauges, macs, in fact same niggas are catchin' back to backs..." "gimme a smith and wesson and I'll have niggas undressin'," "...but just a nigga, walkin' wit his finger on the trigger"... like every other line is a gun reference. And there are PLENTY of coke/crack references... "somehow the rap game reminds me of the crack game" was the line that inspired Rae and Ghost to create Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Niggas.

The major difference between Illmatic and IWW was the ghetto mafia don lifestyle... he matured from street thug who observed life in the projects to a wise old owl tellin' stories about the high life while reminiscin' about the street life... the production was also more polished and commercial on IWW as opposed to Illmatic, which was rawer and more ghetto.

"In My Lifetime," which I was surprised didn't make RD.
    test
  5. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Word, it could've been an influence, Juice is classic..

BIG just rode with the death theme heavy and so intricate from the intro to outro on that album. Then came Life After Death, the continuation of that theme. It may have been more his personal direction at the time, rather than Pac puttin the idea in his head.

I'm ready to die and nobody can save me
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

True... and that line could've reinforced that idea... like "damn, what would I think if someone asked me that question?"

He could've been like, "fuck it, I'm ready to die."

Like how those kung fu movies influenced RZA and Wu Tang to base their rhyme methodology on swords and that whole mystique.

Artists get inspired by all sorts of things... I write poetry, too... and I once wrote a poem about the penny after observing a penny on the ground.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I never said illmatic was void of gun and coke references... NY state of mind and Represent had plenty, but when you compare it to IWW, the amount of violence and drugs in illmatic is tame. dude went all out in IWW because after Ready 2 Die dropped, thats what NY hip hop was all about. And I'm not just talkin Nas and Jay. 1995 and 1996 as a whole had the most violent and drug-filled rap lyrics from everybody.
    test
  8. Put it in my Mouth

Put it in my Mouth member

Kendrick sucks, pls stop w/ this bull that he's talented
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  9. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

^^Nobody on this board acknowledges u or even takes u serious so stop seeking attention u cornball. :funny:

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Well, when you put it like that, then the amount of violence and drugs in RTD is tame, as well.

OB4CL was the first album to really go all out there with it like that... they started the Cristal and Versace references, too.
    test
  11. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

You mean Crooked I, right Nu?
    test
  12. the rhyme king 25

the rhyme king 25 Member

dude pac did'nt biggie til like 1993 like around the time poetic justice came out again what are u talking about ? SMH.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  13. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

no, crooked in his prime was when he featured with the dogg pound.

i miss those old crooked verses, truth be told.

:numaan:
    test
  14. DJboutit

DJboutit Well-Known Member

I totally agree the young kats today who have been listening to rap less than 10 yrs to them Kendrick lame is top 10 if you ask then have the ever listend to a Nas 2pac Scarface Ice Cube album all the way there they will say nope. So these young kats do know shit what is truly as classic. People who grew up listening to rap hiphop in is late 80s and 90s no aritst today is even some what decent to them
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  15. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Kendrick is nice af but kind of overrated by everybody.
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  16. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

So what you're saying is that you're blindly bias to your generation and can't fairly look at musical artists on their merit?

Well that's on you, don't speak for other niggas your age because they're not stupid as you. Plenty of old heads aren't dinosaur ass niggas stuck in 88.

Get the fuck out.
    test
  17. D Funkdafied

D Funkdafied D-Funkdafied Music

test
  18. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

This.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  19. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I feel like the things I say are always a bit ahead of the trend.

Seriously, not trying to be arrogant or anything.

But like six months ago I said Kendrick wasn't that talented, was overrated, and there wasn't a single word for support, rather a MASSIVE backlash.

Yet here we are...
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  20. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Kendrick is one of the best out this year.
    test