k1 world grand prix final coming up dec 5

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

REMY BONJASKY
    Nickname: The Flying Gentleman
    Gym: Vos Gym
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 240
    Career Record: 73-14, 40 knockouts
    K-1 Record: 37-10, 17 knockouts
    Key Wins: Badr Hari DEC, Gokhan Saki KO, Jerome LeBanner KO, Musashi DEC, Alistair Overeem DEC
    HDNet K-1 Ranking: 1
    Probability of Quarterfinal Win vs. Errol Zimmerman: 70%

An outstanding fighter on a number of levels, Bonjasky is the three-time and reigning K-1 World Grand Prix champion. While to many he is a shining example of all a K-1 champion should be – humble, well-mannered, aesthetically beautiful to watch, beautifully skilled, eloquent and handsome – there are those detractors who claim his peek-a-boo style goes against the K-1 Bushido spirit of kill or be killed.

Whether you're a fan or not of Bonjasky's cover-up-and-counter style you can't deny it is a style that has made him one of the most successful fighters on the planet and a man who almost never gets beaten. Indeed Bonjasky comes into his title defense on December 5 on an 8-fight win streak and has only lost five times in the last five years. That is an amazing accomplishment for a heavyweight competing consistently at the highest level, especially when you consider Bonjasky's busy roster having 12 fights since 2007.

With three K-1 Grand Prix crowns to his credit, Bonjasky still does not receive the accolades of other multiple GP winners such as Ernesto Hoost (4), Peter Aerts (3) and Semmy Schilt (3). Bonjasky's back-to-back wins in 2003 and 2004 were considered two of the weakest Grand Prix line ups ever and his 2008 win was handed to him on a silver platter in the form of Badr Hari's brain explosion. Despite the criticism that is sometimes leveled at Bonjasky however, he must be respected as a technician of the highest order and one of the smartest K-1 fighters of all time, ranking up with Ernesto Hoost in terms of strategy and gameplan. Indeed perhaps the only weakness in Bonjasky's skill set is his lack of any real boxing power. I have always speculated what could have been (and could still be) for Bonjasky if he had spent twelve months with a good boxing coach. A Bonjasky with world-class hand speed and power is a scary thought indeed!

Bonjasky has all the goods to win the Grand Prix for a record-equalling fourth time, provided he believes in himself, especially should he reach the semi final and meet Semmy Schilt. The last time the two met, in the semi finals of the 2005 Grand Prix, Bonjasky lost via KO though it looked to me like he just didn't want to be in the ring with the monstrous Schilt. Should Bonjasky get past Zimmerman and then Schilt and reach the final, likely against Badr Hari, you have to wonder if once again he will have Badr's number as he has the last two years.

FAST FACT
    Remy Bonjasky used to be a male model and also worked as a banker. In 2008 he released his autobiography entitled 'God in Japan'.
    test
  2. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

I think Schilt will probably take it, honestly.
    test
  3. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

LMAO no way jose
    test
  4. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

Other than Hari, I think he should be able to roll through the rest. Even Remy.
    test
  5. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

so far, no. Not enough of a k1 following in the forum yet.

I'm hoping to change that. I think mma and boxing fans would love k1 if it weren't so difficult to follow.
    test
  6. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

k-1 is my favorite sport. it feels even more recluse and secretive than mma years ago. :-(
    test
  7. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

dope avy.

I've always liked k1, but I have a tough time keeping up with it a lot of times. I'm surprised stand up combat sports other than boxing have never caught on in america. UFC proved that people want more, but often times the casual fans are turned off by grappling.
    test
  8. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Yea I took that into consideration. I mean, there were a lot of other fighters fighting above their weight (Kaz) and below their weight habitually. I don't think Alistair should receive special consideration for what other fighters did habitually. Before he was really lean, and to build that kind of muscle onto that body type in a period of a year or two, is well, damn near impossible. Take it from a guy with the exact same body type who has been training for years...
    test
  9. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

True, it's hard as fuck to find decent streams, and the shit is always on at like 3 am, lol...
    test
  10. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Yeah, and I personally don't have HDnet. Not sure how many others are in the same boat.

Good thing is that k1 fights aren't taken off youtube quite like the american stuff.
    test
  11. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

Damn...I didn't realize it was this soon.

Also, I think people are underestimating Texieria.
    test
  12. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

lol...nevermind.
    test
  13. Odysseus

nice KO from ubereem

fuck yeah i love k1

even michael buffer is announcing

semmy is about to fight lebanner
    test
  14. Odysseus

disappointing showing from lebanner, semmy will be fresh for his 2nd fight just like overeem
    test
  15. Badr Hari vs. Semmy Schilt...

Badr ftw
    test
  16. test
  17. Schilt is a beast
    test
  18. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

fuck schilt

he is garbage... fuck

i had money on hari, got 3:1 to win it all @ beginning of tourney

i needed that
    test
  19. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

God I'm good.
    test
  20. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

probably the weakest looking knee to ever kill a guy from overeem.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.