Battle Video [*K.O.T.D.*] - [VENDETTA] - DNA vs EURGH

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by KingFly, Jun 24, 2012.

?

Who do you think won?

1. DNA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EURGH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Kall

My Kall Well-Known Member

Eurgh won that. I like word-play, but most of DNA's puns were shameful and embarassing, he's getting more and more corny with it every battle. I didn't think Eurgh was amazing either, his similes and cultural references were a bit hit and miss, but he was cleverer and more creative. Vendetta looks like a bit of a let-down thus far, however I like the intro segments alot.
    test
  2. Fartface

Fartface Well-Known Member

a let down thus far?
    this was the best battle of the event lol
    test
  3. Se7eNem

Se7eNem hi mom

From what I remember TheSaurus had the slow it down of the event, and probably of the year tbh. But anyways, I have DNA taking this 2-1.
    test
  4. Slick Ick

Slick Ick New Member

describe specifically what you mean. DNA's schemes flow into each other smoothly, and his transitions are audibly less noticeable than eurgh's, who didn't rap a single verse that battle and spits nothing but schemes that only make rhythmic sense when taken as a single unit. you can't take his schemes in context with each other because there's a disconnect in temporal cadence that he apparently can't hear and his opponent was doing it a lot better than him, which is the definition of rapping better. please reference specific points of eurgh's rounds where his rapping was nice and talk about why they were nice. please discuss his round structure and say was his rapping wasn't actively bad. content was nice, wordplay was nice, rhyme schemes were nice, rapping was almost nonexistent and thats not an opinion and there aren't other ways to see it

by the way, twitter angle was corny as fuck, so was referencing dna's youtube account. dna had plenty of corny shit too, but it sounds audibly better because he's rapping. saying something grammatically incorrect is a far less relevant battle rapping error than not structuring full verses.

unrelated to everything else in my post btw but i was cracking up when eurgh was talking about the style clash being dope because it would allow him to call out dna on his street shit or whatever and I was ready to be PISSED if he wasted everyone's time with yet another 'you aint in the streets and if you were so what' suburban pride verse. hate those
    test
  5. Automator

Automator Active Member

tbh this medium has evolved past the point where it's two emcees trying to display who can rap better. Rapping ability and delivery are still HUGE skills you wanna have on your side because they allow you to deliver your content more effectively but they aren't necessary anymore. Look at guys like Bender, Marvwon, and 360 all of who make music (relatively successful compared to other battlers) but who use more of spoken word approach in battles. The live acapella written format allows people to use body language, facial expression, and voice projection as part of their content. There's nothing inherent in the medium that makes a rapping approach (similar to you'd hear on a track) better than a more conversation approach (which has become popular in KOTD).

your main criticism of Eurgh - that his schemes don't flow together as well - doesn't seem relevant to me in a battle. On a track, yes, but in battles, there are pauses between schemes where the crowd reacts. Most KOTD battlers write in this way and that's what Mad Child, Canibus, and I bet future rappers that attempt this format will struggle with - they think in terms of verses instead of in terms of schemes that are punctuated by crowd reaction.
    test
  6. eastcoastreppa

eastcoastreppa Well-Known Member

That's true!
    test
  7. IKNOWALL

IKNOWALL Well-Known Member

dont work like that though TRY AGAIN. While you are at it go list all the shit Eurgh did that was bad
    test
  8. avocado

avocado Well-Known Member

what THE FUCK DID I TELL YOU!?!?!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  9. You People

You People Active Member

If it's hot in here....am I allowed to talk about that?
    test
  10. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Lol yea this is a good point too. I was thinking, "okay, so he doesn't use twitter properly...who gives a shit?"...regardless of its originality, it doesn't mean its that good.

You guys are slowly convincing me that a battle I originally thought was awesome from both sides, may have in fact sucked dick.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Exactly
    test
  12. You People

You People Active Member

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a bodybag as tightly zipped as that one.
    test
  13. avocado

if you break anything down, almost every angle is pretty corny.

shit.......battling is general is kinda corny.

but god damnit if i don't like corn in my shit.

YADIG?
    test
  14. TradeMark310

TradeMark310 Tunk vs Lux

Corny shit. I'm talkin bout Avocado...

Tough battle, I'm late here but I second the motion that it was hella close and I gave the edge to DNA cause he delivered better.
    test
  15. gregrieke20

I was just playin...I still thought it was a great battle.

As far as what slick ick is saying, I couldn't agree more. The ability to write complete, cohesive verses with seamless transitions is the biggest separation between URL battlers and gt/df/kotd battlers as a whole. URL battlers for the most part seem to take into account "how is this going to sound?" far more than the other leagues. Trex, verb, Cortez and others write their verses so as to be rapped well, and many times they sound as though there is something almost "musical" to their performances.

It's actually surprising to me that people don't seem to recognize these cohesive verses more often, or if they do recognize them, they don't seem to feel it is that big of a factor when deciding the outcome of a battle in terms of a winner or loser. It certainly is far from the only thing when determining a winner, but I do think people should place a higher value on it, because it's not an easy thing to do.

Rex's verse against Ill was like 8 minutes long, and the entire thing was structured so it ALL worked together as a unit. It was pretty fuckin great imo
    test
  16. shutupnSCREEM

shutupnSCREEM Active Member

This was nothing short of a classic. One of the battles of the year as far as I'm concerned.
    test
  17. ForestSilence

ForestSilence Well-Known Member

Aye, a whole is only as good as the sum of it's parts, true...

But what's good parts when they don't come together to form a whole in the first place?
    test
  18. avocado

word up mang i feel ya! completely agree also.
    test
  19. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

This.

Shit, you could break down the Bible or the United States Consititution to the point of them seeming corny.

Calling something corny and pretending like you aren't just being a fickle dumb ass is corny.
    test
  20. IKNOWALL

IKNOWALL Well-Known Member

thread coming soon for the haters
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.