[*K.O.T.D.*] - [$2500 GPR1] - Loe Pesci vs Syco

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by _Organik_, Feb 15, 2010.

?

Do You Agree With The Judges Decision?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Who's Loe got next, Mischief or Lokust?

That should be fun.
    test
  2. zonal000

zonal000 Well-Known Member

I think then that the difference between our perspectives might lie in an interpretation of its context. I don't attend the events and I'm probably the only person (at the very least, I must be in a very small minority) on here whose interest in watching the battles is not accompanied by a strong interest in hip-hop. For me these battles are a media phenomena (there's signs in the way these events are presented to indicate that they're meant primarily for mediated consumption) and I interpreted everything Pesci did as connected to the battle as a media phenomena (IE, shit talking on youtube and facebook) and thus as part of an overall performance. Even if its outside of the narrow space of the battle, Pesci's trash talking was tangentially connected and I think it's acceptable - and I think its acceptable, in part, because the entire nature of the competition is who'se better at talking shit about the other.

This kind of behavior is usually only found in relation to competition of one-on-one aggression, boxing and (professional) wrestling. It occurs through the assistance of media and is for the benefit of a wide audience (under the guise that its directed strictly at the opponent) I don't see any reason why battle rappers can't do this.

On the other hand I can see that if you interpret the KOTD battles as primarily live events captured by camera, and if you actually go to a lot of events in Toronto, and feel tension everywhere - and it gets out of hand sometimes - then I can see how you might be uncomfortable condoning Pesci's behavior.
    test
  3. RegularJoe

March 29th, Heaslip House, Ryerson University. I'm presenting a conference paper at the inaugural Literatures of Modernity symposium on this exact topic, as well as elements of hypertextuality and intertextuality as interwoven into the signification process in battle rap. You might be interested in checking it out if you live in the GTA.

Doesn't seem like the type of thing to advertise on this site, but if there's at least one other person on here interested in those aspects of the scene, I gotta throw it out there. Grant applications coming up soon, gotta keep my hustle on.
    test
  4. hawton24

hawton24 New Member

yo this was a sick battle loe !

Expensive HEAT!!!

Montreal All Day!
    test
  5. Pavan

Pavan Active Member

Any articles you wrote about this in the internet?
    test
  6. Charrons_Father

Charrons_Father New Member

Loe Penguin is fukkin wack. I'm genuinly embarrassed for that fat fuck.
    test
  7. Murkfest

Murkfest Well-Known Member

he's got the winner of tricky p vs mischief, which was supposed to go up today but is delayed til tomorrow morning due to technical problems
    test
  8. SmiRk

SmiRk Logic or Death

I must concur.
    test
  9. Ihateforumames

Ihateforumames New Member

Loe Pesci should grin out of the side of his mouth and snicker when he wins battles ahahahahahahahahaha.
    test
  10. masta_blasta

masta_blasta Member

The thing that bothers me the most was Loe's antics between the rounds.

While the umbrella was one of the more creative props I've seen in a rap battle, if a battler's material is strong enough, he will win - he shouldn't need to do or say anything during his opponent's rounds in an attempt to put him off.

It's like hoping the other team won't get off the bench for the second half in a game of basketball. Just let your opponent perform in peace.
    test
  11. solon L

solon L that boy

shit was still hilarious, let it live

lmao
    test
  12. SmiRk

SmiRk Logic or Death

I thought we was 'bout to see some boxing Cannucks as soon as Low popped the 'brella on him. lmfaooooooooooo.
    test
  13. apalanchau

apalanchau wtc aint nutin tafuckwit

what is it with fans going oh battlers shouldn't do this battlers shouldn't do that this ain't high school and you ain't no hall monitor or something, as long as the battle league itself allows it it should be okay, battles would be really be boring if everything was polite and rigid and shit like a fucking piano recital this ain't some aristocratic shit this is hip hop.

props loe pesci keep bringing that assholish entertainment.
    test
  14. SmiRk

SmiRk Logic or Death

Despite Loe's obvious coke habit.. his interview was real talk.

Ha.
    test
  15. Loe Pesci

Loe Pesci New Member

LOL I know it looks like that, I was touching my nose more than my lil homie Roosevelt in his first battle
    real talk, I was sober as fuck before and during the battle, high off adrenaline 100%.
    test
  16. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

loe offered me cheeseburgers right after the interview
    test
  17. RegularJoe

Not yet, most of my research is actually about semiotic linguistic theory and its application to ideas of authorship in instrumental hip hop. I've got a paper on that up for publication right now, so we'll see. If this shit at the conference goes well and I can get some funding out of that, I might try to expand it into something I can publish. But right now it's just a conference paper, so it's a small, basic idea, like a 15 minute presentation and roundtable discussion type thing.

That's the wonderful world of academia though ... unless someone is interested enough to pay me to research it, I'm probably not putting the effort in.
    test
  18. ville2ville

ville2ville Friendship SmileNet [=

KOTD does ALOT right, and I credit PVP and Organik constantly for bringing the scene probably the most polished product in the game, but one thing they can't help is exactly what you touched on.

KOTD is more highschool than rapleague.

plain and simple. I say it all the time so I won't go any further.

I wanted to amend something I said earlier. I just rewatched this battle and I have to apologize to Pesci. After seeing this and going to watch Syco's last battle where he literally SPRAYS dude down with spit i take back everything I said. That would be fucking nasty as hell to be spit on constantly by SYCO. Seriously. I'm sorry I caught feelings over it the first time around, I hadn't seen the other one, so my bad. I did think it ruined Syco's whole verse, which would be a good tactic except its a dirty one and has no place in battling. I was NOT hating on you for being CONFIDENT AND COCKY. I like that shit ALOT and I think EVERYONE should be that way because this is Battling! Being humble is cool and all, maybe for professional sports, but in battling you literally try to ruin your opponents credibilty in life. So fuck being humble, maybe to the fans, but not your opponents and potential opponents.

that is all, peace
    test
  19. ville2ville

Youre talking to me arent you buddy. Aw man erik i <3 you. and yeah I think Loe won on second watch ahah.

When are you and wonka gonna let me in on yalls lil chats? I like rap battles and I have a couple lvl 80s still floating around
    test
  20. ville2ville

This post owns.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.