just doing a little bit of math

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Eternity, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

as I have been re-aligning myself w/ the soundclick gods over the past 4-5 weeks, I've been doing a lot of "homework" in helping to re-brand http://www.soundclick.com/soleternity

Right now I'm raking in around 4,000 plays and 800 views a day based on grassroots marketing and word of mouth. I've spoken w/ people who have secured Front Page Advertisements on the site and have gathered around 15,000 total website plays on the days which their music was featured in the frontpage spotlight. I know that 15k plays per day is very attainable, as already I have 330 beats on my page, and at least 1 per day coming for the next 2 years. Combine that with a roster of 15 producers & growing, all of whom have exceptionally well made beats, and it won't be difficult to earn repeat traffic from anyone who wants to find good beats on a daily basis. after all: why go to the website of one producer, when you can go to a website that features over 15 hand picked producers by an industry veteran? it just takes a matter of time to win over people's trust & consistency. and I've got some very big promotions planned this summer, one of which is a partnership with karmaloopcodes.com that is going to start july 1st

to get to the point: in doing my research, I conducted a simple measurement: I compared how many plays/views the #1 artist on soundclick accomplished over one day. at the present time, this was someone named "Johnny Juliano"

On june 23rd, 2010 his website statistics showed:

27,488,229 total plays
    2,699,699 page views

On june 24th, 2010 his website statistics showed:

27,603,925 total plays
    2,711,447 page views

So, lets do a little bit of math:

According to his stats, he had 115,697 song plays and 11,748 page views in a 24 hour time period

Lets break that down hourly: Assuming the plays are evenly disbursed per each our, he received roughly 4,821 plays per hour.

According to his stats, he is accomplishing more song plays than there are seconds in the day. There are 86,400 seconds in a day, and his site is receiving 115,697 plays per day.

If he had youtube videos recieving 115,697 views per day, @ the royalty rate of .25 cents per view (which from my experience is ussually higher than this for partnerships, but for the sake of being conservative), he would earn $105,573 per year based on ad revenue alone.

Now I feel it is important to point out that his site was shut down recently and then restarted. Thats why it has "only" 27 million plays, when he is bringing in plays @ a rate of 115k per day. it would only take 234 days to achieve 27 million plays @ the rate of 115k per day. there are others who's websites have over 100 million plays.

OK, now lets do a little research: according to google trends, soundclick.com's highest search activity occurred from 2005-2006, and has gradually declined on a consistent downward slope since. View the stats for yourself: Google Trends: soundclick.com (one stat that will certainly seem strange is: why is the city of 1. Makati, Philippines, responsible for the most searches of soundclick?)

During 2005 I was in the hottest unsigned artists consistently, while bringing in around 3k-5k plays per day on the best days. In the year 2005, my total page views was 190,341. This breaks down to an average of 520 views per day.

Could someone please explain to me how even though soundclick was more popular & receiving more traffic during 2005, that I was able to be on the front page "hottest signed artists" and "hottest unsigned artists" charts at a humble 520 views per day, whereas now, when soundclick shows LESS traffic and LESS searches, that the top artist is receiving allegedly 11k views per day?

Could someone explain how a website that gets 115k song plays per day averages about 15 comments per song? When you click on a youtube video that has 115,000 views in 1 day, that video will CERTAINLY have thousands of comments. How is it that a song thats been #1 on soundclick for weeks, such as one of the songs on "johnny juliano" page, has only 26 comments?

I've examined this question and many tactics of testing the soundclick charts system. I have found several very interesting insights from doing a lot of research w/ producers. It definitely helps that my name is recognized by all of them, as they have been willing to lend certain pieces of information to me, although they refuse to give away all of their secrets.

One thing thats for certain: anyone who tells you that soundclick artists are not using coding/scripts to inflate their plays are LIEING.

I'm not going to reveal those tactics quite yet for obvious reasons. But I'm going to report back to you guys after a few months of my promotions and see how my soundclick rank is doing.

I'm only interested in giving all artists a fair chance to be heard on the soundclick charts. The fact is, soundclick DOES provide a lot of exposure to producers. W/ all the politics and bribery of the physical music industry, you would hope that at least internet charts would provide an equal opportunity for people to be heard.

I only wish that soundclick (which is a very small company owned and operated by only a few individuals and a handful of programmers) would provide artists with a bit more transparency in their practices. Either that, or for now, programmers are going to be the top artists on their site. If you need any more evidence of this, just post your own request for "soundclick plays" on freelancer.com and watch how many programmers contact you with resumes of having successfully provided this service to others.

I miss mp3.com. But I will conquer soundclick.com and I will provide the fans of soundclick and instrumental music with something thats been severely missing: diverse, quality instrumentals in a plethora of genres from a diverse selection of producers. Shame on the top producers on the website for not utilizing their alleged amazing amounts of plays to do anything more than lease beats for $20. Shame on them for not helping talented producers who are lacking exposure.

:funny:
    test
  2. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Soleternity -Are you Einstein reincarnate? I'm calling for his "corpse" to be exhumed immediately!
    test
  3. Sho-Down

Sho-Down RockItPro.com

Good read man. I'm very interested in seeing how your page does in the next few months so keep me up to date.
    test
  4. PLT Productions

PLT Productions Baltics Most Wanted

test
  5. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

Good read, but how do you figure .25 in "royalties" per play. Where exactly does that money generate from, and how is it paid out? I sincerely doubt people are getting anywhere close to that.
    test
  6. MFB

MFB Ciroc Boys

sol going ham
    test
  7. PLT Productions

PLT Productions Baltics Most Wanted

google music composers/writers law
    test
  8. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

Thank you Soleternity!!! I've been asking myself this same thing for months now!!!

I can't wait to hear the secrets you got from the top producers on soundclick.

the highest i have got in the Beats/Instrumentals chart is #13 and i got around 10-11k plays per day for about 2 days. i wasn't getting any higher then #13 even with 10-11k plays per day and around 400 d/l's.

i spend $100's on Sound click promo song of the day.

johnny juliano, vybe beats dont ever use sound click promo!! how is this possible they dont ever leave the top 10?????????
    test
  9. Hitman J

Hitman J lets get get get it....

i been knew it was fishy shit going on with soundclick which is fucked up cause the only way to win is to cheat with the rest of them... which alot dont know how
    test
  10. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

nice read, if you're gonna use those tactics, I'm sending you beats for the page ASAP lol
    test
  11. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

interesting replies. blitz that is very insightful.

Im going to tally the dudes stats for the week.

June 23: 27,488,229 total plays / 2,699,699 page views (daily: 115,697 / 11,748)
    June 24: 27,603,925 total plays / 2,711,447 page views (daily: 111,867 / 10,424)
    June 25: 27,715,792 total plays / 2,721,871 page views (TBD based on June 26 stats)
    test
  12. YB MUZiK

YB MUZiK Active Member

good shit sol. i'm going to rebuild my whole soundclick shit back again too. gotta fight back to that number 1 spot back again. it's going to be hard nowadays though. too many talented cats out there. good luck homes.
    test
  13. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

This might be goin off a little but a few months ago I spent a good few hours with a close friend of mine chatting about creating a website for a certain ethnic community that would allow for them to network and create music together. A school friend of mine also owns a website called New Music & New Band Community | OOiZiT.com which is very popular amongst live bands in the UK and has been compared to myspace.

What if we were to put our heads together and invest in the creation of a website dedicated to what people talk about on here all the time? I WOULD invest in a networking site dedicate to providing instrumentals and music if it was a solid plan. What if 50 dedicated producers and non producers came up with and agreed a plan then applied it whole heartedly? Youtube was probably founded with less commitment than that.

I'll say on record that I'll put 1000 pounds sterling into any solid idea amongst like minded people who are willing to invest in a plausible musical idea. I don't even have a grand to my name but the good thing about the western world is that I could get it 2morro. And Sol, I dunno man your sutten else. 4 real
    test
  14. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

@soleternity if you figure out that they're using fake hits to dominate the charts, are you going to start doing that as well?

We both know it will be very hard to accumulate over 50,000 Real hits per day.

I'm still using the good old Promo Song of the day and im working hard to crack the top 10 without cheating. Starting next week i bought 16 days of Straight promotion! I'm going to see top 10 soon!!!
    test
  15. DayCore™

DayCore™ Th!nk

Hit it spot on...

sure they implement grass root sales with maybe a team of 8-9 max of theirs....but honestly, it is all scripting/encoding
    test
  16. Predator INC

Predator INC New Member

hey sol man whats up my brotha from anotha? hit me on the pm or on the email i needa holla @ u.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.