John Hollinger changes his MVP from #3 to.. #23?!?!

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by G-Rob da great, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-Rob da great

G-Rob da great Fear moondog.

Since his terrible 3 game "non-clutch" stretch, tonight's game would make the Cavs like 4-1 in games decided by one possession since then. And that's ignoring all the other clutch plays and free throws he's improved on.

And he always has the ball in his hands on that final possession.

...Yeah, he's clutch. He's had his failures like others, but like I've said.. saying he's "not clutch" was incorrect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060411

"LeBron James hit a field goal in the final second of play to give the Cavaliers a 103-101 win over the Hornets. James has made 19 of 29 field-goal attempts this season in the last two minutes of a one-possession game (66 percent). No other player with at least 25 attempts has made more than half of them. Derek Fisher ranks second at 50 percent (13-for-26)."

I can think of a few players who are more deserving of the ball on the final play, but he's far from a choker or fader in clutch time.
    test
  2. G-Rob da great

I didn't have a problem with Kidd finishing second.

Most people here know how I feel about Duncan's value (even though I don't like him).

But as far as making a comparison.. there isn't one. If the Duncan of that year had been playing last year.. Nash wouldn't have won it last year. Nash was deserving, but there weren't that many canidates last year- and even still, Duncan was on his heels.

The value of Duncan and Shaq get overlooked constantly because they do it for so many years and so many games that we take it for granted.
    test
  3. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

their is a comparassion because as you said the value of shaq and duncan go overlooked. and the impact shaq had last year changed the fates of two teams. whereas nash who had a great yr helped the suns but dallas was better than they ever were before.

shaqs yr can be compared to the one T dunc had when he beat out kidd.

and i think what kidd did with the nets was so much more impressive than what nash did.
    test
  4. LikeWise3001

LikeWise3001 I crush alot

exactly.

You can;t count on him taking that shot everytime. Thats why he's so dangerous and thats the reason you only saw one guy on him yesterday.

Lebron makes you pick your fate.

He's gonna take the shot everytime if you try to single cover him but if you double or triple team him he'll definately find the open man.

Teams really don't know what to do now when they face LeBron in the last few seconds of a game.
    test
  5. cyphamasta

cyphamasta New Member

yea man. he's been playing incredible lately. i've thought he was a great player. but i still stand by my sig.
    test
  6. G-Rob da great

They both did similar things actually... they both took a lottery team to the #1 seed with one year.

Which is impressive either way you look at it... Kidd without question did it with less talent- and also took his squad to the finals, but remember... the MVP is awarded before the finals even begin and is based on regular season work.

Nash probably could've made the finals too- if it wasn't for those pesky Spurs.

I won't argue too much- I've flipped flopped so much on who's the better point guard between them, and I've got a ton of respect for J Kidd. Even though Nash has been outstanding the last two seasons I'm not sure you can still say he's the best PG and make an ironclad case (Kidd plays much better defensively for starters).
    test
  7. G-Rob da great

The funny thing about both of LeBron's game winners this year: they came with one-on-one defense with the defender on his heels.

How many other players get that kind of isolation on the final shot? Players like Kobe and Paul Pierce cherish taking that final shot- but they are almost guaranteed to get at least double coverage on that final possession. As you said, coaches are starting to come to a loss with LeBron because he can make great passes (the pass to Flip in the Charlotte game still amazes me when I watch it).

I think he's gained the respect around the league with his decision making- because it's almost deadly to double him, and maybe soon.. it'll deadly to play him one on one (if he keeps knocking down the shot in those situations). Like you said, he's making coaches pick their fate.
    test
  8. G-Rob da great

Six lines or less?

I think the majority of rapmusic.com won't have a problem standing by that. (We're not given a choice) [funny]
    test
  9. G-Rob da great

lol.. LeBron plays 42 mins last night in the FIRST game after clinching the spot and the topic of discussion on PTI today: "Ok with LeBron playing that many minutes?"

I don't have a problem with it personally... I'd like to see them get 50, and LeBron is so young and athletic.. I highly doubt going to be worn out all of the sudden for the playoffs, even if he plays 48 mins over the last 5 games- because it's just 5 games. Perhaps he was "tired" in Febuary as people wanted to call it, but he caught one hell of a second wind.
    test
  10. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

my voting has changed alot over the last couple of weeks. right now i'd put Elton as the number one he's had a Shaq/Duncan effect on the clippers this season. then i have Bron coming in second. he's really impressed me. his ability to hit clutch shots has never been my concern really. it is his ability to turn it up when theres something on the line. he choked over the last month last year. his team shoulda been in the playoffs but they werent. he started playing like Kobe trying to win it all by him self. he's growing up and learning to play his game no matter what.
    test
  11. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

i love elton but i wouldn't give the mvp to elton this season. elton's not clutch, man. the team doesn't go to him in late game scenarios and say, here elton win the game for us. he's just not there yet. he's built up a lot of confidence though this season and he improved so so SO much last offseason i definitely see him coming back next season and just being able to create his own shot down the stretch.

i give it to lebron this year. partly because i secretly don't want nash to win it twice in a row, i dunno why, and partly because what he's doing with that team is what kobe needs to learn how to do next season...propel a team from mediocrity into the promise land. the cavs aren't title contenders, but hey, they've got a much better chance of getting out of the 1st round than the lakers. that team without lebron is as good as the lakers without kobe, and look where the cavs are. mvp baby.
    test
  12. cyphamasta

cyphamasta New Member

lol. i forgot about that. and i'm too lazy to fix it.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.