John Hollinger changes his MVP from #3 to.. #23?!?!

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by G-Rob da great, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-Rob da great

G-Rob da great Fear moondog.

(article in next post)

I said LeBron's play over the last month and a half was simply too much to ignore, but I never expected JOHN HOLLINGER of all people to change his opinion as well- seeing the amount of work and dedication he put in his case for Wade.

The Wade wagon is falling apart.. it's on two wheels, paint is chipping and the handle is bent. Give it up. The rest of you Wade supporters go ahead and follow your leader towards the KING of the 2003 draft class.

Activist, please turn the ">" symbol in your sig to the right.. thank you.
    test
  2. G-Rob da great

"EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- My how things can change. Less than a month ago, I made an MVP case for Dwyane Wade that I thought was ironclad. I really didn't think there was any way that another player could do so well over the final month that he'd surpass Wade in terms of overall value for the season.

Having watched LeBron James single-handedly end the Nets' 14-game winning streak in the Meadowlands on Saturday, it's obvious that I spoke too soon. From out of nowhere, James has shot himself into the discussion and may very well end up winning the trophy. That's quite a shift, since nobody held James's MVP stock in very high regard over the first half of the season. It appeared the Cavs would end up with a win total in the low 40s and James himself struggled mightily in some late-game situations.

But thanks to a late, LeBron-fueled surge, the Cavs aren't headed for a humdrum 43-39 campaign but rather something much closer to 50 wins -- they'll hit the half-century mark with a 4-2 finish, which would seem well within the club's reach. That's an impressive accomplishment considering Larry Hughes and Anderson Varejao both missed roughly half the season.

Then there are the late-game situations. While James had some struggles earlier in the year, he's been money of late. For instance, Saturday's comeback win over New Jersey included an insane play by LeBron to tie the game in the final minute. With his club down by three, he took a steal and zoomed upcourt. Three different Nets grabbed his right arm to prevent him from shooting, but James was so strong that he muscled through all of them and put the shot up softly off the board for a basket and foul. Other than Shaq, I can't think of a single other player in the league with the strength to get that ball near the rim, much less convert the shot.

That play was the signature moment in a 37-point, seven-rebound, five-assist performance -- including 18 points in the fourth quarter -- that allowed the Cavs to end the league's longest winning streak even with center Zydrunas Ilgauskas sidelined. It was the latest salvo in an incredibly strong finishing kick that has seen James zoom to the top of the Player Efficiency Rating charts and stake his claim for the MVP trophy.

The numbers he's been putting up of late are simply phenomenal. The man hasn't been held under 25 in over a month. He's scored 35 points or more in nine straight games, and in the month of April he's averaging 38.4 points a game on 55.4 percent shooting. Throw in the improved clutch play, and the fact that he's played far more minutes than any of the other candidates, and James has suddenly positioned himself near the top of the MVP debate.

I'm not the only one frothing at the mouth about his crazy stats either -- before the game Nets coach Lawrence Frank went Elias Sports Bureau on us and mentioned that James is on pace to be the fourth player in league history to average at least 30 points, seven rebounds and six assists in a season. The others were Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Michael Jordan.

Of course, a lot of water still can go under the bridge in the season's final 10 days. Dirk Nowitzki will be tough to ignore if Dallas takes the top record in the West, Kobe Bryant has a talentless Laker team headed to the playoffs, and even with his recent mini-slump Wade hasn't completely fallen out of the picture.

But after witnessing James's maestro performance in New Jersey Saturday, and having seen what he's accomplished over the past several weeks, I'm pondering a change in my MVP allegiance. As good as the others have been this season, it's becoming increasingly clear that King James is ready to begin his reign."
    test
  3. G-Rob da great

Still didn't pay to read that either. Free trial. Biatches.
    test
  4. G-Rob da great

See man, I know what I'm talking about.

Come on Darth Waders.. don't disagree with your leader.

lmao @ Rippy thinking his shot against the Bobcats was his only clutch play of the year when I said he improved his decision making down the stretch. [funny]

LBJ 4 MVP!! It has a nice ring to it.
    test
  5. Final Chapta

Final Chapta End of Story

you run this thread!
    test
  6. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

i am a big Wade Supporter and i would change my vote to Lebron. no doubt Lebron is making a real case to be the mvp. i however think its still a close race.
    test
  7. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

^word

although i still belive wade is better bron has been unbelivable lately.

still got time left.
    test
  8. Ed E Brock

Ed E Brock RM's version of this guy

Unfortunately... the race for mvp isn't between either of them.

hahaha
    test
  9. G-Rob da great

I think LeBron can surpass Nash BUT...

I do doubt it to an extent. Larry Hughes said this after Saturdays game: "It's a big goal of ours to finish the season strong and get 50 wins." (I might've butchered that quote a little bit, but it was something like that)

This is the only thing as this point..

We have nothing left to play for.

They're locked in the 4th seed.. can't move down because it's clinched, can't move up because the other three teams are division leaders. LeBron has played A LOT this season, and I'm not so sure that Mike Brown and the team is going to come out and play fully motivated when there isn't a whole lot of reason to. In fact, I'd expect Mike Brown to catch a lot of flak if LeBron is still playing 42 mins+.

The numbers (and wins) might drop over the last six games.

As long as LeBron and Nash finish 1 and 2 in some way shape or form I'll be content. It's funny that Hollinger mentions nothing about Nash.. he's so wrapped up with numbers and PER.. it's ridiculous.
    test
  10. LikeWise3001

LikeWise3001 I crush alot

Lebron for MVP.
    test
  11. Iceodu921

nash doesnt deserve mvp
    test
  12. G-Rob da great

^I thought you said he would probably win and he was more deserving than last year?

Likewises sig is pure gold.
    test
  13. Iceodu921

he will probaly win and is more deserving than last yr.

but i didnt think he shouldve won last year either.
    test
  14. G-Rob da great

Got ya. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've only disagreed with the MVP selection maybe a couple times since I've been watching ball. Karl Malone (both times- - once over MJ, once over Duncan), A.I over Shaq.. those are the only ones that come to mind off the top.
    test
  15. Iceodu921

only other 1 i diagreed with was duncan over kidd.

not that you couldnt make a great case for duncan just what kidd did that yr was amazing.

and what kidd did wit jerz>wat nash did wit phx.
    test
  16. LikeWise3001

LikeWise3001 I crush alot

and Lebron keeps proving ya'll wrong with a buzzer beater over the hornets tonight.
    test
  17. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

elton is still my mvp, regardless.

best power forward in the league this season with decent talent on his team, leading the got damn clippers into the fucking playoffs while averaging 25 and 10. suck my dick.
    test
  18. Iceodu921

^its sad he doesnt get more press
    test
  19. Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee u unno me!

i'd still give it to kobe for getting that gargabe team to the playoffs.. he's puttin up 36 a game too, which isnt bad
    test
  20. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

kidd did it the the east so no he didnt deserve the MVP

look at how he fared in the west and his record vs the west

if either the lakers or spurs were out east it would have been SA vs LA for the whole decade just like the 80s when it was LA vs Boston

plus duncan can take average/above average players and make them look all star caliber.. kidd needs these lottery picks to raise his game
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.