Joe Rogan questions everything

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Aug 11, 2013.

1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Whos seen this show on syfy ch.?

Well heres an episode on transhumanism.
    [VIDEO]
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i have not. Dont get the scyfy channel
    id probably watch it.Might not agree with everything he says. But ive heard some of his podcasts and i enjoyed them.

also... to discuss the virtual/real human being issue. Look up the term "uncanny valley" Its a term we use in the graphics industry....

"Mori's original hypothesis states that as the appearance of a robot is made more human, a human observer's emotional response to the robot will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong revulsion. However, as the robot's appearance continues to become less distinguishable from that of a human being, the emotional response becomes positive once more and approaches human-to-human empathy levels.[9]

This area of repulsive response aroused by a robot with appearance and motion between a "barely human" and "fully human" entity is called the uncanny valley. The name captures the idea that an almost human-looking robot will seem overly "strange" to a human being, will produce a feeling of uncanniness, and will thus fail to evoke the empathic response required for productive human-robot interaction."

i think were quite a ways away from being able to fool everyone. The best fx studios on earth still cant produce 100% realistic humans, even with motion capture.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    test
  3. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

will watch later, thanks.

Joe Rogan >>>
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

test
  5. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i saw an interesting talk on this issue recently

he proposes a couple of interesting points. i realize most of you won't watch it, so i'll summarize:

the creation of mature AI is just another step in a sort of meta-evolution, where each new 'step' renders the previous one obsolete. so for example you had biological evolution as the dominant force for billions of years, followed by human-driven technological progress which rendered it more or less obsolete.

this is why humans are so skilled at driving other species extinct: we simply aren't playing by the same evolutionary rules. we can adapt our technology at a greater speed and with more versatility than evolution can offer, which only works through gradual incremental changes that are favored statistically by natural selection.

so basically, evolution culminated in creating a system (the human brain) that would outstrip it and render it obsolete. likewise, human technological progress seems to be culminating in the creation of artificial intelligence which will eventually surpass the human brain. once that happens, the human brain is no longer a necessary part of the equation. at that point the newly formed intelligence will be better at all tasks that its human counterpart, including designing newer, more advanced AI systems.

so basically computers will carry on the trajectory of technological progress without the aid of humans and at a rate that renders humans obsolete (from the computer's pov). so the idea of humans 'merging' with technology is based on the idea that we can keep pace with it, which very likely isn't the case.

if this model is true, then we're left with a choice of what to do. do we want to a) act as a platform for the next tier in intelligence, or b) follow our immediate instinct of self-preservation? the speaker is clearly in favor of b), and i'm guessing a good many transhumanists would gladly wish for a).
    test