Joe Budden speaking on current hip hop fans.

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Knowledge, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowledge

Knowledge 12 lbs with dick insert.

• Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

Pretty much in agreement with Joe Budden. I find it laughable how the people he was debating with think hip hop fans will magically start respecting artists who aren't in the spotlight anymore. HELLLLL NO. Look at some of the discussions on this board alone. People STAY disrespecting older artists; people STAY talking shit about anything that isn't deemed RELEVANT at this particular point in time. Sometime around the turn of the century the attention span of the average rap fan went completely down hill. The idea of having a hip hop equivalent of Prince, Madonna, or Michael Jackson is damn near impossible due to how we treat out own music/culture.

Shorty also had the nerve to state that current artists are talking about what's in the streets right now....yeah, ok. The vast majority of rappers talk about (in no particular order): money, haters, women, their damn selves, guns, and things of that nature. People don't make introspective records that actually give you a visual of what life is like in the hood anymore. Rappers just glorify bullshit.

Also, like Budden said it's much bigger than the rappers. Hell look at Lupe's Lasers saga if you want a fresh example. The fans are the ones with the real power but people seem content on being fed nonsense.
    test
  3. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

"you'd be hard pressed to name eight people that the masses could give two shits about"

i think this is really the issue. at least this is my take on things. the more hip hop has grown as an industry, the more its role as an art form has declined. this is what happens to many commodities. mass production = declining quality. in this case its not so much a matter of mass production as it is mass marketing and mass appeal.

hip hop has basically been incorporated into the larger pop culture and in doing so its quality has plummeted and its fan base has expanded. the expanded fan base are largely much less dedicated to hip hop as anything more than something to 'bump' on their way to school in the 'whip' that their parents bought them. this is largely the demographic that dictates sales.

since sales trends dictate who makes a career and who doesn't, rappers take note and write songs about poppin bottles and dranks in da club. thats the easiest thing to sell to the largest amount of people. the same thing happened to rock music, and pop music as well. they're all being sucked into the larger pop culture which is combining to form a mega-genre of sorts.
    test
  4. .Sparro.

.Sparro. A Wraith

It's funny, because these arguments about quality declining with marketing/mass production get completely destroyed when you ask "what is good hip-hop?"
    test
  5. .Sparro.

.Sparro. A Wraith

Oh, and I agree with him, in the sense that Hip-Hop fans tend to be the most frustratingly gay.
    Just look at my sig.
    test
  6. L7 - LMV - L7

L7 - LMV - L7 The Fat Cat

I concur with Joey.
    test
  7. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

thats true, my argument only works from my perspective. my perspective being that hip hop was 'better' before and is now 'shit.' those who agree with that conclusion would be more apt to agree with me. those who prefer the modern era would likely say the industry had the opposite affect. what we might be able to agree on is that there was a drastic change in hop hop as the industry progressed.
    test
  8. dj battle cry

dj battle cry Active Member

jay-z is the equivalent
    test
  9. .Sparro.

.Sparro. A Wraith

Of Madonna, Micheal Jackson, and Prince?

[​IMG]

:funny: Gtfoh.
    Rap-wise, Eminem is bigger than Jay-Z.
    test
  10. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

H- Hate
    I - Ignorance
    P - Perpetuated

H - Homies
    O - Obliviously
    P - Pimped
    test
  11. block215

block215 Member

my dude budden is 1000000000% correct

the hiphop fanbase is a "whats going on now" fanbase "what have u done for me lately" type..

outside of the 5% of hiphop fans, the hardcore fans, no one else gives a fuck about the history and how these new artists disrespect the music and treat as a job rather than that their involved in a part of history and that does include the labels, djs and everyone else for watering down music to try to expand it..I mean I been listening to hiphop for like 15+ yrs and for every modern cd I play (last year or 2) I play 500 cds from the 88-2000 time frame b/c the music was much better...Years ago I was actually thinking about the idea that Joey brought up about the old school hiphop stations 20-30 yrs from now and I dunno if itll ever happen b/c no one associated with the genre gives 2 fucks about the real artists..
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

No, it doesn't... a few exceptions don't disprove the rule.

Most rappers suck elephant balls... and that includes most multisyllabic rappers.
    test
  13. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

There's more wack rappers because there's more rappers period.
    test
  14. .Sparro.

.Sparro. A Wraith

Gimme an example of bad hip-hop.
    test
  15. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I like blaming the fans, but really fuck the fans... it's the wack rappers fault and the companies who sign them.

Robots do what they're programmed to do, so you can't blame stupid fans.
    test
  16. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Drake, Gucci Mane, Rick Ross, Lil Boosie, Lil Webbie, Soulja Boi, etc.

You can catch most of them on 106 & Park and commercial radio stations owned by Clear Channel.
    test
  17. .Sparro.

.Sparro. A Wraith

Drake, Rick Ross, and Lil Boosie have solid ass fanbases. But I guess you feel your opinion is above other peoples. Just like an elitist douchebag. Lol.
    test
  18. Knowledge

Knowledge 12 lbs with dick insert.

Yeah it's official, I knew you were a Sage Francis fan Ignorant, don't think anything of it, I am too.

Got the shirt yet? :funny:

[​IMG]
    test
  19. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

ha ha... having a fanbase doesn't preclude one from being wack, my friend.

Try again.
    test
  20. .Sparro.

.Sparro. A Wraith

Yes it does. Keep trying.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.