Jill Scott: My soul burns when I see a Black Man with a White Woman

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by urban_tactics, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

Commentary: Jill Scott Talks Interracial Dating

Friday, March 26, 2010 | 12:20 PM

by Jill Scott

You know the moment when you realize that fine, accomplished brother is with a White woman? Let's call it "the wince." Three-time Grammy Award-winning artist, writer, actress, philanthropist, mother and all-around Renaissance woman, Jill Scott gets to the root of our feelings on the matter.

My new friend is handsome, African-American, intelligent and seemingly wealthy. He is an athlete, loves his momma, and is happily married to a White woman. I admit when I saw his wedding ring, I privately hoped. But something in me just knew he didn't marry a sister. Although my guess hit the mark, when my friend told me his wife was indeed Caucasian, I felt my spirit...wince. I didn't immediately understand it. My face read happy for you. My body showed no reaction to my inner pinch, but the sting was there, quiet like a mosquito under a summer dress.

Was I jealous? Did the reality of his relationship somehow diminish his soul's credibility? The answer is not simple. One could easily dispel the wince as racist or separatist, but that's not how I was brought up. I was reared in a Jehovah's Witness household. I was taught that every man should be judged by his deeds and not his color, and I firmly stand where my grandmother left me. African people worldwide are known to be welcoming and open-minded. We share our culture sometimes to our own peril and most of us love the very notion of love. My position is that for women of color, this very common "wince" has solely to do with the African story in America.

When our people were enslaved, "Massa" placed his Caucasian woman on a pedestal. She was spoiled, revered and angelic, while the Black slave woman was overworked, beaten, raped and farmed out like cattle to be mated. She was nothing and neither was our Black man. As slavery died for the greater good of America, and the movement for equality sputtered to life, the White woman was on the cover of every American magazine. She was the dazzling jewel on every movie screen, the glory of every commercial and television show. She was unequivocally the standard of beauty for this country, firmly unattainable to anyone not of her race. We daughters of the dust were seen as ugly, nappy mammies, good for day work and unwanted children, while our men were thought to be thieving, sex-hungry animals with limited brain capacity.

We reflect on this awful past and recall that if a Black man even looked at a White woman, he would have been lynched, beaten, jailed or shot to death. In the midst of this, Black women and Black men struggled together, mourned together, starved together, braved the hoses and vicious police dogs and died untimely on southern back roads together. These harsh truths lead to what we really feel when we see a seemingly together brother with a Caucasian woman and their children. That feeling is betrayed. While we exert efforts to raise our sons and daughters to appreciate themselves and respect others, most of us end up doing this important work alone, with no fathers or like representatives, limited financial support (often court-enforced) and, on top of everything else, an empty bed. It's frustrating and it hurts!

Our minds do understand that people of all races find genuine love in many places. We dig that the world is full of amazing options. But underneath, there is a bite, no matter the ointment, that has yet to stop burning. Some may find these thoughts to be hurtful. That is not my intent. I'm just sayin'.
    test
  2. ~OMagic~

~OMagic~ Well-Known Member

test
  3. MLK_Jr.

MLK_Jr. New Member

She's right....messiah
    test
  4. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

lol @ "I'm just sayin" right at the end. We got to be past that imo
    test
  5. urban_tactics

personally...i love all women

not about to be narrow minded and stick to one

white girls will get it too
    test
  6. Mr. Lucaz

Mr. Lucaz ALZ

i read this a few days ago on a blog, i had the same reaction.

I love jill scott tho, and her music..

and i feel what she saying tho, but at the same time, its time to keep it moving caring about what everyone else doing tbh.
    test
  7. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune

Black Women kill me w/ that shit.

I bet if that nigga was a Manager at a Pawn Shop she wouldn't of wrote this.

Since he got money it "winced" her soul lol.

Black Women are full of shit with this argument...sorry.

You only hear this shit when they refer to Doctors, Lawyers, Athletes, and other high paid people.

They don't get mad about Junebug the bus driver dating a non-black woman lol...

I'd fuck the dog shit outta Jill Scott but she need to sit her ass down somewhere on this one.
    test
  8. Based Prophet

Based Prophet Luxurious Hairmodel

This part is true, I'm not judging anybody in an interracial relationship either. It's gonna be a becky in my dorm in a couple hours. However, I believe that when it comes down to it I will not have a non-black wife or child. I want to build a strong black family to offset the statistics.
    test
  9. urban_tactics

nicca said pawn shop

lol
    test
  10. Mr. Lucaz

Mr. Lucaz ALZ

primo thats real what you just said.
    test
  11. DeenoG

DeenoG New Member

Chicks are shallow in general it hurts her soul because that dude is powerful, and has class and all this other shit.

I never seen a woman complain about a ghetto ass dude with a fat white girl, only when the guy happens to be successful and educated they have a big problem. Would she be made if the brutha was dating a now good chick who happens to be a bitch but was Black?

Black girls don't have a problem with other black girls dating outside of their race, see the double standard.
    test
  12. MLK_Jr.

MLK_Jr. New Member

I don't fuck white girls but I agree with everything else u said
    test
  13. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune

I speak the truth and nothing but the truth.

Marxist need to bring her black ass in here so we can mass-debate together.
    test
  14. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

I hear y'all smh @ "fine ACCOMPLISHED brutha" she means rich
    imo
    test
  15. ~OMagic~

Yup

I don't even be looking at anybody on no "color" shit either. If I see a bad female with someone I don't say "Damn she with a white boy" or "indian dude" or "spanish dude" etc. I be like "Damn she with a lame." lol.

With females you are either bad or wack and with dudes you either lame or cool.

Niggas really be "wincing" when they see a successful black dude with a white woman?:funny:

But they don't mind if Tyrone the janitor got a fat white broad?:funny:
    test
  16. Shakez

Shakez New Member

if i fucked a chick that look like jill scott yall would call her fat nasty and ugly :funny:
    test
  17. Shakez

Shakez New Member

but yeh black females, they go over board with this...my moms just recently told me she dont give a fuck about any race shit, she just doesn't want a black/white mix grandchild
    test
  18. Messiah

Messiah Big Brother

I guess I have no choice to divorce my wife now. I'll break the news to her after we have sex tonight
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  19. urban_tactics

my mom the same way, she tell me not to bring a white chick home, bc her family will never fully accept me...and i believe her, i'd obviously have far less chances to fuck up because of my race...but whatever happens, happens
    test
  20. ~OMagic~

Last year at school one of my roomates had 4 chicks from home (all black) stay at our apartment for a weekend.

One night me and one of my other roomates was leaving out to hit up one of the bars and while we are leaving one of the broads go...

"Where yall going?..... prolly to mess with some snow bunnies." then started snickering and shit (3 out of the 4 females was heavy set and wack).

We coulda been going to the store for all she knew but that was what this broad uttered out his chubby mouth when she just met us.

When they eventually left my roomate who had them staying at the crib told me as soon as we stepped out that night the same broad that had the sly comment was asking questions and telling him to put her on to me.

:funny:

Bitches going overboard worrying about who the next nigga fuckin. Maybe if you step ya game up I'll fuck with you and you wont have to make no sly comments.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.