I've got a serious question about RBL voting...

Discussion in 'Emcee Hookups' started by U S E R, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

first off, none of this is bitching in any way, shape or form. and im not gonna call out names, or provide examples - since to me its pretty obviously found in every single match.

why does everyone seem to vote on this eltitist level now? like im seeing votes from guys that'll be like 'NAH THIS WASNT GOOD' to like 50% of a verse, then you go read their battle (just to get a feel for what they think is hot, cuz thats the true example - u can say what u like and what u dont like, but ur only gonna use the shit u like in ur own verse) and the 50% that was 'wack' to them is LEAGUES above anything they dropped that week.

i seriously dont get it, and im lost as to when this started being a trend. like giving props on a line is exclusive to only the best line in an entire verse, the rest is apparently garbage.

im not saying ppl arent voting, thats one thing the leagues actually done better with - but the quality of the votes is laughable at best. tell me im not the only one seeing this?

i mean, how're u gonna say some shits wack when you write worse than the lines you pick out?

thats like me and deon calling someone fat. or frac calling someone black. or q calling someone a rapist. or magus saying someones egotistical. or oneduh saying theres a wrong way to make a living.

votings like one big stereotypical trend now,where people are afraid to give too much props to a person they might eventually face. if that person got seen as so dope he cant be beaten by the likes of you, he might win off name recognition alone. and i understand that thinking, but lmao, yall goin about it the wrong way.
    test
  2. Katharsis

Katharsis Fly......Plane and Simple

Well this is now a 5 star thread.
    test
  3. Katharsis

Oh and it's obvious...They're all following me.

I hate text, so when im forced to read a verse of defcon quality, i will harshly critique those de-feet lines til you dont want me to vote anymore.

that ....and because they suck.
    test
  4. Fracture

Fracture Legion Of Dudes

PREACH.

98% of the league is just haters, thats why so few get better these days

voting everywhere is wack as hell. its rolling the dice everytime out. thinking 'do i dumb my shit down for the majority'.. or 'do i come with the oh shit lines no matter who votes'

you're taking a chance on if the majority of scrubs are gonna be the only ones who vote, or if youll get dope battlers to peep.
    test
  5. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

i agree completely. i've pointed this out for weeks. i've written numerous articles on it in magazines in both the RBL and the RSTL.

i used to literally break each line down and explain thoroughly what i liked and disliked about each whether it be grammar, set-up issues, syllables, etc. now, i just quote the best lines and explain why one competitor wins over the other because it's pointless when other votes are terrible and i used to get knocked for voting honestly.

but yes, its ridiculous. and more so, there is no explanation anymore as to why a competitor didn't like a line. just a simple, "nah, cool, eh, roflz, dope, na, na, hell noooo, nice, blah...."

it's discouraging, or at least i would assume, to newcomers and underdeveloped writers who don't know what a good line consists of. similar to jordan robinson's reply to my vote in his thread, assuming that i hate him because i didn't like his verse.

the internet in general now is overrun with newbies and veterans who no longer take the time to nurture them. so instead of newbies elevating, they continue to suck but yet still grow egos.
    test
  6. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

what i hate though is the fact that it changes from week to week, the trends. one week a verse entirely filled with personals that you can assume most of the league wouldn't/don't even relate to is praised, and the next week a verse full of personals which lays out what they mean is knocked not on account of being bad lines but on account of sticking to one subject.

or, a style in particular can be praised on week by all and a few weeks later they'll say that they just don't like the style and that it's stretched and whatnot.

there are many more instances that i don't feel like reiterating, but it's sickening. most voters have yet to even develop a style of their own.
    test
  7. Katharsis

^^didn't you just ghostwrite a newbie through like 4 battles?

who are you to talk what vets dont do?
    test
  8. Katharsis

well that part is full of shit. your verse should be a counter to your opponent. i choose different approaches to punches depending on my target.

but, a verse full of personals will ever NOT be liked. more people just suck at making personals harsh or funny...they think stating the obvious is a punch.

and when they suck up a verse, they call it a trend.
    test
  9. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

what i said is truth, trust me, in relation to voting. you may think the verse sucks, but what i'm saying is that the voters will admit to the lines being nice and yet discredit them on the basis that they stuck to the same topic for too long whereas a few weeks back they applaud the same situation.

i've seen it done, literally.

but i agree with what you're saying, assuming that by EVER you meant NEVER.

i've never had a verse that people said sucked though, so this isn't me making an excuse for losing, just noticing that the voters alter their opinions every other week.
    test
  10. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

huh? what are you talking about?

and no, i didn't. i only wrote 2 verses for T.a.C. i helped him with another. that's it. but what's your point?
    test
  11. Katharsis

guilt sucks.

and im talking about your nuturing comment. you're writing verses for people, then saying nobody helps them. kinda hypocritical huh?
    test
  12. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

i've never been one to pay much attention to the actual trends of voters. if anything i just try to improve my lines based on my standards, and trust that my opinion of what is good is somewhere in the same idea of what the league considers good.
    test
  13. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

and btw, i've offered to actually help T.a.C write. the whole situation started when another writer asked me to jump on an alias with him, i declined. later, i think i lended him two lines and helped him word one verse which wound up being a no-show. later, he told me that he wrote something for T.a.C in the match against Deon. since i thought what he wrote sucked, i re-worded it, gave T.a.C maybe a line or two, and then told him to switch the verses. i later wrote a 5 minute verse for windsprizzle because he had already posted and i was bored. then, i noticed that T.a.C would be facing Oneduh and thought it would be funny if he actually beat him, so i offered to write for him again.

short story long.
    test
  14. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

i meant nurturing as far as voting goes, on the topic of the thread. i've been one of the most, if not the most, thorough voter for awhile now. i actually try to lend feedback and constructive criticism. most veterans online or in the league don't even participate in voting and when they do, its generally a match between other veterans that they would like to read.

but i don't knock those that do. it wasn't a shot at veterans, just something that i've noticed.
    test
  15. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

i also voted on every single match available for a few weeks back when i was still moderating actively, posting weekly magazines which offered more feedback, and participating.
    test
  16. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

same here. but being a moderator, i tend to read votes in some of the matches. especially those in which i find interest in. i also just notice a lot of things in general when i'm constantly on watch.
    test
  17. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

when i vote i generally break everything down if it's close at all. i like to think i'm one of the best voters around. but i agree with user in that people who aren't quite as good of writers, seem to have voting criteria levels above what they are capable of writing.

but at the same time i remember Frac saying years ago that people get complacent and lazy because everyone thinks they are good. and the reason he and others improved is because there ideas and lines were never quite good enough.
    test
  18. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

i agree with most of what Q's saying tho.

except while it may be discouraging to newcomers and underdeveloped writers, my beef is mainly with them adopting that voting habit from others. now its like they copy/paste a pre-made outline on how to vote.

its a classic pot calling the kettle black problem.
    test
  19. kungfugrip

kungfugrip New Member

ok NOW this thread has an all-star cast viewing it.
    test
  20. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

kung just agree and leave, g.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.