Issue about "air breaths/gasps" within vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Tech-Omega, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech-Omega

Tech-Omega New Member

Okay, for those who record I'm sure you have noticed when mixing down vocals the infamous "air breath..or as I call it gasps". I'm solid at mixing (not the best, but I can get demo quality). I'm having trouble going around the whole air breath b/c as of late I've decided to mute these out. I record in a sound proofed closet.

What would be a way of going around this issue (using a slight echo on my vocals? reverb?) If so please list a decent preset to input for these adjustments. I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 (I know shits old as fuck, but I work well with it and it gets the job done)
    test
  2. nO gOoD!

nO gOoD! Life Music :: Press Play

any imperfections in the vocals like the gasps etc, I've always just muted them out.
    test
  3. TrackMakerz

TrackMakerz TrackMakerz

Try backing up a little from the mic when recording vocals that might help a little..
    test
  4. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

volume automation is your best friend. Saves you the CPU power from using plug-ins aswell.
    test
  5. Scumbag

Scumbag Member

some gasps are good, they make the performance sound natural. i once worked with an experienced 20 year verteran engineer/producer, who had worked with the beatles and peeps like that, and he told me that sometimes he picks a good breathe/gasp and copy and pastes it over the whole track in place of bad ones. and sometimes you just cut them out.
    test
  6. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

Don't cut too much of that shit. Like dude above me says it seems unnatural. Keep the rugged rawness to it.
    test
  7. Joel VeNoM

Joel VeNoM The All Mighty...

amplify..and then put it in the negatives.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.