Is there even a Difference between Underground and Mainstream anymore?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Aug 2, 2013.

1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I agree with Twamp, there was no reason to change the forum rules. I hope that we arent forced to only talk about what the mods consider underground in this forum.

Its 2013. with the internet rappers that used to be considered "underground" are getting mainstream record sales while other mainstream rappers have really shitty sales due to having no creativity and no real fanbase.

I dont even think the terms underground and mainstream mean what they used to mean anymore.

furthermore, I am fucking insulted that whoever made the change thinks that all we talk about is "underground" rap. thats bullshit. we stay diverse around here. we talk about everything.

so my question is:

Is there a difference in mainstream and underground anymore?

If so, then which rappers are which?
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You can say 'underground' has 2 definitions... it could be about style or about notoriety... I personally prefer the old school classic definition of underground... which is about low notoriety, regardless of style. Wu-Tang had an "underground" style, but they were mainstream. Plenty of underground artists make mainstream/commercial sounding music.
    test