Is the public ready to accept a Whitney Houston comeback?

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Ignorant, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

Whats the name of Whitneys first album?
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

It's self-titled... just "Whitney Houston."
    test
  3. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

I don't either. That's a "Reflection Eternal: Train of Thought" type album.
    One that's impossible to follow.
    test
  4. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

i didnt read anybodies reply so my bad if im repeatin somethin...but ummm lol ill never get pass the crack sorry...its the same with the r. kelly thing...everytime i see him i think about the pissin...everytime i see her ima think about the crack...now on a more positive note whitney in her prime was unfuckwithable...nobody had pipes like that...but since for the last decade and some changed she traded those pipes for crack pipes im not sure she still has it...i cant wait to see though
    test
  5. Ixtlan

Kells has famously beaten the statutory rap...
    That never effected his overall fan support.
    If Houston can be that lucky she'll do just fine.
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You're still stuck on that, even though it's been proven to you by my eloquent sense of reason that "Quality" is infinitely better.

I don't think any album is impossible to follow, though... "Thriller" took over the greatness of "Off the Wall."
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I never knew he beat the rap... what happened?

Nevertheless, he's still a pedophile... he married Aaliyah when she was 15.
    test
  8. Ixtlan

Not the case just the poor public perception.
    test
  9. Ixtlan

It's not.

That album was all over the place.
    There were timeless moments on that album, but then there was also the ill-conceived "Guerrilla Monsoon Rap" and "Put It In The Air".

RE:TOT was cohesive throughout and one solid solid piece of work.
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You think so??

He's still the punchline of many pissin' and statutory rape jokes.
    test
  11. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I take it you don't like raw, braggadocious raps over insane beats?? It's why you hate Nas, right?

"Guerilla Monsoon Rap" is absolutely the best posse cut in years. I still have trouble figuring out who came iller... right now, it's Pharoahe. We need more of the 'mic check' songs in hip hop these days... cats forgot about that in their pretentious desire to be more "well-rounded."

And you hate on the genius of DJ Quik's production work, as well... "Put It In the Air" is a great song... waaay better than "Show 'Em What You Got"...

TOT was actually all over the place... I told you Hi-Tek's production didn't always fit Kweli's vocals on that album... I don't care how dope you think the beats are... it's all about the marriage... the even match. Kweli sounds soooo much better with Kanye behind the boards.
    test
  12. Ixtlan

Sure I do.
    I'm a pretty big Jay-Z fan. Hello?

I don't hate Nas. Will you stop with that?

You're not serious... GMR was mediocre at best. That beat was gab-bage...

If you say so...
    Blaze's SMWYG shits all over PIITA.

Call me a hater, but I've never seen the genius of Quik's production work.
    He's a poor man's Dre in my book. He can talk that shit about isolating drums and using clean power sources to do tracks with, but he's grossly overrated let Ix tell it.

What tracks did Hi-Tek do that didn't fit Kwe's vocals?
    That album was cohesive from start to finish.
    What record on "Quality" is as dope as "The Blast"?
    I'm waiting...

"Get By" is a standout song, but maybe for different reasons than you think.
    Credit Kanye on that one. And this is coming from the biggest Talib Kweli fan on the planet. Kweli isn't as good a songwriter as that song suggests. That was Kanye's magic I can guarantee it.

As a songwriter, yes, because Kanye himself is a songwriter...
    When it comes to classic Kweli... Give me Hi-Tek all day.
    When Ye gives him a record like "The Blast" then we can talk.
    test
  13. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^So basically you think TOT is better because of "The Blast?" That's it?
    That's one song!

Quality was dope from top to bottom.

I don't have the albums in front of me, but I definitely remember and play Quality more. I need to go back and listen to TOT again so I can tell you precisely and specifically why it's inferior to Quality.

I'm just *smh* on your comments on "Guerilla Monsoon Rap." You're the only one I've seen in my life who doesn't like that song...

I do think Quik is overrated, but he came right on "PIITA."
    I'm waiting on R-Tistic to come and defend him, because he's a BIG Quik fan.

You're different, man... I still haven't figured you out yet... once I think I do, you throw me a curveball. I mean, you like tits like I do... but then you hate on "Guerilla Monsoon Rap" and think RD is better than Illmatic.

*smh*
    test
  14. Ixtlan

Cute...
    Add "Move Somethin'", "This Means You", "Memories Live", "Down For The Count" (which was easily a better posse cut than GMR), "Love Language" and "For Women" in and I think it's plain to see which album was better.

*Cough* "Talk To You (Lil' Darlin')" *Cough*
    *Cough* "Shock Body" *Cough*
    *Cough* "Put It In The Air" *Cough*

I'm a different type of cat.

The same goes for you Mister.

Kanye gets lazy on the button-push from time to time.
    GMR was one of those moments.
    That beat left ALOT to be desired.

I still think "Illmatic" was one of the best albums of the last 20 years.
    Cut me some slack.
    test
  15. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^I'll listen to TOT again tonight and I'll be back later... if I can find it.

I remember really liking it initially, then my admiration for it waned after awhile... I think you're just jocking Hi-Tek more than anything instead of analyzing the whole package... when I say TOT was all over the place... I meant Kweli's focus and thoughts weren't as coherent as they were on Quality... I don't just judge the beats... I judge everything... the beats, the rhymes, the delivery, the passion, the focus, the writing, the overall presentation. TOT had its fair share of cuts, but overall, it's just not as great. I'll listen again, though.

Let you tell it, I figured you'd think Illmatic was at the bottom of the barrell.

Like Leila Night said in another post, MP3 has destroyed the concept of ALBUMS in a lot of people's minds... precisely why I don't download. I still cop CDs that you have to open and pop in... liner notes, jewel cases and everything. Most of this board judge albums on a song-by-song basis when that's an inherently flawed approach.
    test
  16. Ixtlan

I've used the term 'coherent' ad nauseum.
    It's obvious that I'm looking at the album as a whole.

You're kidding, right?
    He couldn't write a more focused album than RE:TOT.
    That album is a soundtrack for life.

He speaks to the fall of his contemporaries in "Too Late", "Soul Rebels" and "African Dream". He waxes nostalgic on "Memories Live". "Some Kind of Wonderful" and "Down For The Count" provide your chest-thumping, nut-grabbing braggadocio. "The Blast" and "This Means You" are your monologues...introspective in form. "Ghetto Afterlife", "Good Mourning", "Name of The Game" and "Eternalists" are all political... "Touch You" and "For Women" are concept tracks.

I'm struggling to see how his focus is wayward.
    20+ tracks... 5 topics essentially and then 2 concept tracks.
    Sounds cohesive to me.

As do I.

Forget what you and I think... RE:TOT was much more critically lauded.
    Does that count for anything?

That's because you only extract small portions of my commentary.
    I've said this all along.

I beg to differ.
    I believe the label push for singles is what killed the continuity of the Rap album. They've developed a contrived album formula (format) for artists to work within. "Quality" follows that format.

RE:TOT seems much more artistic in form.
    They were aiming for commercial success with that album (Quality).
    They were hoping for the slam dunk single. They got it, but I think it caught them by surprise. I get the impression that they thought "Waitin' For The DJ" would be that tune. It wasn't. Turns out it was "Get By". They didn't plan it that way... That's just how it happened. Remember... "Get By" was the last single released from that album. Nearly three months after the album dropped.
    test
  17. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

and he will be forevea...niggas still makin oj simpson jokes that was 11 yrs ago?
    test
  18. Ixtlan

He'll always be the object of an off-color joke, but I doubt seriously that he's lost many fans behind those charges.
    test
  19. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You make a good case for TOT, but I guess it just boils down to personal preference... I still think it's a good album, but I like Quality better. I listened to them both back to back and "Get By" is a stronger song than "The Blast"... "Guerilla Monsoon Rap" is far superior than "Down for the Count." The violin loop is nasty, I don't care what you say... I like creative shit like that... and the MCs rip it to shreds, unlike the boring verses from Rah Digga & Xzibit on "Down for the Count." The GMR beat reminds me of the Mass Appeal beat in a way... lemme guess you don't like Mass Appeal, either.

I'd rate TOT a 4 out of 5

Quality gets a 4.5 out of 5.
    test
  20. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

As a consolation prize, I will tell you that there is no beat on Quality that is fuckin' wit "Move Somethin'"... those fuckin' drums are incredible!!!!!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.