Is the 40 yard dash overrated?

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by MyKe SeaN, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyKe SeaN

MyKe SeaN Paula Deen is my hero.

What do you think? I think it slightly is.
    test
  2. Yung Lyon

Yung Lyon THE BOSS

no not at all, speed kills

look at barry sanders
    randy moss
    allen rossum
    d'angelo hall
    deion sanders
    terrel davis

most super fast 40yrd runners are great players... if micheal bennet could stay healthy he would be sick aswell...

Lavarnous Coles
    Steve Smith

ect...

you get a fast 40 time and ur half way their, never will someone run a 4.1 and not have a spot to play on a football team

Jevon Kearse
    Julius Peppers
    Mike Vick
    Darren Sproles
    Jerome Mathis

the list goes on and fuckin on
    test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

so many fake times floating around out there

track n field > football
    test
  4. Ed E Brock

Ed E Brock RM's version of this guy

Yes. It is.

Too much is put in to it.

So much so that I myself even fall for it.... There's a difference between game-speed (people like vince young, deangelo williams, etc have it) and track speed.
    test
  5. StylisticS

StylisticS National Champions

Exactly. TOO much is put into it. While it's great to have speed. What good does it do if you can rarely use it in the NFL and what good does it do if you have speed but you can't accomplish any other abilities that come with the position like catch the football for example. Yes, it's overrated. It's just a fun stat to talk about.
    test
  6. MyKe SeaN

MyKe SeaN Paula Deen is my hero.

^^exactly...

There are so many corners with great 40 yard dash times but dont even have great careers in the NFL...

In my opinion, I think its actually possible to train to run a good 40 yard time.
    test
  7. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

^^agreed and 40 yard speed i think it only really important for receivers/corners, etc. Running back never really needed the speed thing..The best running back didn't nesscessary have speed. Emmit Smith, the best running back ever, was really fast but broke almost all running back records... List goes on...
    test
  8. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

you shouldnt have to ask this question if u really think hard about it
    test
  9. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Yes, there are many HS people roaming around thinking they actually run a 4.5's.
    test
  10. cyphamasta

cyphamasta New Member

Emmit Smith is not the best RB ever. but i see your point.
    test
  11. Yung Lyon

Yung Lyon THE BOSS

^^barry had speed (goat)
    walter payton had speed (goat)
    terrel davis had speed
    priest holmes has speed
    marshal faulk HAD speed lol

so i tink the best running backs DID have speed
    test
  12. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

none of the guys you listed ran Sub 4.4 dashes. Marshall Faulk was Slower then Trung Canidate by a couple tenths of a second and it was obvious that Faulk should be the starter over Canidate.

and whoever said Micheal bennet would be good in any aspect is very wrong. He's the number one canidate for how Speed isnt that big of a deal.
    test
  13. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

everyone in the leauge is fast so it kind of waters down being fast. its like being near 7 foot to play Basketball. its not that big of a deal anymore cuz there are more 7 footers to go around.
    test
  14. yb254

yb254 New Member

i went to school wit a guy who ran a 4.2, 4.3 and he couldnt do a thing on the football field, didnt even play much. he runs track for baylor though
    test
  15. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

my brother went to school with two guys who ran 4.3's

one posted a 10.something 100 yard dash and he play'd some small school ball.
    the other ran an 11 flat 100 and he didnt play ball at all collegiatly as far as i know. but then agian Delante (the second guy) was only 5'4 or some ish. that dude was made athletic. he could dunk two handed as well as motor
    test
  16. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

definitely overrated by the fans and media at least, i don't know how much 40-time weighs in the minds of personnel people as opposed to other things. it's just the most relatable stat as compared to say shuttle or cone drill or wonderlic score....everybody understands 40 yard dash
    matt leinart clearly didn't value it too much as he decided not to run it at his pro day, saying everyone knows he's not a scrambler, so it was unnecessary
    test
  17. Yung Lyon

Yung Lyon THE BOSS

i played reciever in high school, i only timed for the 40yrd dash in 9th grade and ran a 4.5, i could prolly run it faster now (4.4 like)

i ran 10.8 in the 100 meters, and im not a big guy, im taller than steve smith but about 165... and im tellin u, that if i was slow, maybe 4.9/11.8, if i was that slow i wouldnt be able to do half the shit i can do now... cuz im not tall and i need that speed to break corners off when im running my routes... i'd be another OK WR instead of the best on the team...
    test
  18. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

rofl @ a 4.5 in 9th grade.

See what I mean. People are dumb as fuck.
    test
  19. Yung Lyon

Yung Lyon THE BOSS

^^ok w/e?

u cant tell me wat i did nigga so dont even begin to talk out ur ass.. jus cuz u from NY and yall dont have no athletic ability what-so-ever... shit u kno how many niggas from florida are runnin 4.3s in high school? theres a sophomore in west palm beach that ran a 4.4 last year when he was a FRESHMAN. just cause new york lacks the talent that we have you gotta get all upset like a hoe... thinkin that cause u could NEVER run a 4.5 that i didnt do it in 9th grade, lame ass nigga

look up south florida athletes... MANY of us ran 4.5/4.4 before 11th grade... so yes our 9th graders and 10th graders are more talented than grown ass men like u who aint got shit to do but hate on da computer... if it was still on sun-sentinel dot com i would send you to look it up but i can only name other people for u to look up

tyrone moss (plays for UM now) - pompano florida - ran 4.5 in 9th grade
    antwone smith - pahokee florida - ran a 4.4/4.5 in 9th grade
    jake walker - west palm beach florida - ran a 4.4 in 9th grade

so why were u bitchin again?
    test
  20. Yung Lyon

Yung Lyon THE BOSS

^^let me not forget, in 8th grade on the track team i ran a 11.4 - i was 13 years old, believe it or not... 10th grade i ran 10.8... and i didnt get to run 11th and 12th because of grades and shit.... but i hope u see my point

for instance:

THERE IS A 10TH GRADER (16 YEARS OLD) AT DILLARD HIGH SCHOOL IN FORT LAUDERDALE THAT JUST RAN THE NATIONS FASTEST TIME IN THE 100M - 10.33

THATS AS FAST AS RANDY MOSS AND SHIT... AND HES A SOPHOMORE IN HIGH SCHOOL RIGHT NOW!!! GO TO SUN-SENTINEL DOT COM AND LOOK HIM UP

HARRY ADAMS IS THE NAME BITCH
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.