is phantom power another name for a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Dee N, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee N

Dee N Observation

is phantom power another name for a pre-amp?
    what does phantom power mean...Im about to get a condersor mic, and it says it needs pantom power..
    im also get the digi002 w/ protool, can i use that mixer as a pre-amp, or i would hook the mic into the pre-amp, and the pre-amp into the mixer?
    test
  2. ~Mister~Roush~

~Mister~Roush~ New Member

Phantom Power is not a preamp. Phantom power is integrated into preamps and is what is used to power a condenser mic. Most Condenser mics require +48V of Phantom Power to make the mic work. I used to know exactly what the process is, but I've since forgotten. Somethin' about the condenser mic workin' like a capacitor hence the reason they are sometimes called capacitor mics. At any rate if you have a condenser mic then you want to make sure that part of the specs for your preamp include +48V phantom power. If you have a dynamic mic then you don't need phantom power.
    test
  3. Dee N

Dee N Observation

ok, thats cool...how about when u use the condensor with the digi 002...would u need to use a pre-amp, or is that what u plug into the mixer?
    test
  4. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

No. The Digi 002 comes with preamps and +48v build into the rack ANd the console unit

And if your asking questions like this, I would heavily recommend staying away from the Digi 002 until you get a bit more familiar with audio tools and equipment. Here, I shall help.

http://www.ghetalion.com/news.php?id=63

:-D
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.