Is Nas is the ONLY rapper out right now that puts out GOAT Quality music?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

They're both great and flawed in their own ways... I'm tired of comparing and contrasting the two... "boring/exciting" are really, really subjective terms and don't carry much meaning to me beyond personal preference... you cannot objectively say who's boring or exciting... I find Nas' vivid imagery and wordplay to be exciting, but some may find his voice or flow to be boring... to each its own... I find Jay's content to be repetitive or boring, but some may find his flow, wit and conversational inflections to be exciting... to each its own, again...

They've both chosen shitty beats and great beats... they've both made questionable albums and great albums... Jay definitely has more pop appeal, but does that really mean he's better? I don't know, but I do know that Jay wouldn't be Jay without Nas... you guys need to listen to some pre-Illmatic Jay Z and compare/contrast with post-Illmatic Jay Z... two totally different rappers... Nas raised the stakes and inspired the whole game with his debut... just like Rakim did in '86 with Paid in Full...
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  2. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Jay isnt on nas's level, never has been and never will be. Lets be honest here, its not a huge margin but its not really debatable. You might prefer jay z as an artist but he isnt a better rapper than nas.

None of the goat contenders been putting out goat material for almost 10 years. Nas had some nice albums but there are numerous underground albums that shit all over them in their years of release and lets not get started on how wack jay z's albums have been for 10 year.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  3. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

well said, and I agree with you on most of this....jay sounded really different and didn't find his way till RD, and i'm sure nas was a huge influence, as was big and jaz and such.....They aren't in competition with each other, and we have our own tastes and opinions....
    test
  4. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

so in your opinion, what artist is putting out the best music right now?
    test
  5. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

nah streets disciple is dope
    test
  6. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Nas was already headin down that path in 98/99...he had claimed he was the prophet at that point on I Am..which was a play on words anyway to go along with Nastradamus.."I AM NASTRADAMUS"

Nastradamus had joints like God Love Us, Some of Us have Angels, etc..

I Am had joints like We Will Survive, Ghetto Prisoners, Small World, Life is What You Make it, etc...sprinkled with that commercial shit..

Not to mention Lost Tapes material n other unreleased joints like The Rise and Fall (where Nas breaks down chillin with the esco persona), Amongst Kings, etc from that time..

Don't give Jay no credit for that, Jay ain't do his research or knew better but just tried to assassinate Nas character on some Im' a call you out what any man can be guilty of mixed in with some slick deceit/popular opinion..

but Nas broke Jay down more thoroughly, on some deep shit...Blueprint 2 was hard though..
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    test
  7. King-Vis

King-Vis Buy Any Beats Necessary

Haha, yeah i had that one in mind, too.
    test
  8. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

uughh i hate that line
    test
  9. King-Vis

It was a weak line, but kinda funny.
    test
  10. Superman70

Superman70 edited

speaking of Nas, he's on this song and i like this song

test
  11. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I think it is a pretty great line tbh.....same with the murder capital one, though I have always thought it was kanye's line
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

It is a great line... great lines are simple as fuck, because they say a lot by saying very little.... succinctness is a tenet of wisdom.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

theres really nothing behind it though... all it is is jay bragging about making lots of money...
    test
  14. Superman70

Superman70 edited

it's a clever line
    test
  15. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

It's a play on words... I thought you were a Lupe fan? He's a master at wordplay and exploring double meanings.
    test
  16. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Lupe is 100000x better at it than jay-z could ever dream of being. I like double meanings, but t has to actually be dope...

look at this line by another one of my favorite rappers P.O.S. where he talks about a girl thats been hurt many times by men and finally meets the right guy.

"Regressing to bedrooms where fools ignored don't
    He's not one of them tools that screws, nuts and bolts"

^this is fucking genius. a tool can crew nuts and bolts, but in this case hes talking about the fact that this one is not an asshole guy (tool) that fucks (screws) cums (nuts) and leaves the girl (bolts)

thats what I'm impressed by.
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

That was intricate... it was nice, but intricate... sometimes, simple is dope, too... you don't think, so?
    test
  18. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

of course simple can be dope... but for me, I just dont like it if its toooo simple.
    test
  19. King-Vis

It's not clever nor is it stupid. I think it depends on the person saying it. For a man like Jay-Z it's a weak line, he's one of the greatest ever. If Soulja Boy said that i'd be impressed, but still...the line is nothing special.
    test
  20. SpawnYours

SpawnYours Gram •••••••

I admit Lupe has made some great songs for Hip Hop, but I don't think he'll be put up there with Nas and Jay from the majority.

My personal opinion he just doesn't do it for me.

Back to the main topic at hand though .... I can't believe Nas has been around for so long and still relevant. He has one of the best positions is hip-hop. He's not underground, but not mainstream - yet he still has relevance and people want to hear what he'll do next.
    test