Is Maia the best jiu jitsu guy in mma?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Disraeli, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disraeli

Disraeli p4p the best

Serious question.

I've never seen someone as dominant with it as he is.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

nah, hes not... but he is one of the best, and i guess it depends how you look at it.

there are some guys that BEAST on bjj, but they can't transform it well enough to mma.

theres an old saying that for every time you get hit, your belt color goes down one rank. a black belt goes down to a brown, to a purp, to a blue, to a white.

i think demian is among the best, he is not THE best but definitely up there.

the best bjj in mma i would have to say is bj penn. IN mma. it appears as though hes transformed it best. roger gracie is also a beast but can't seem to transform it well to mma.

look out for jacare, andre galvao, marcelo garcia, aoki also has amazing bjj for mma.

marcelo is pretty much the best on the mat but lacks mma experience. so just keep an eye out on them and see how they transform.
    test
  3. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

aoki >>>>
    test
  4. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

not a fan of almieda's bjj?
    test
  5. Wanderlei Sabba

Wanderlei Sabba The Strats Murderer

Why Penn?

I'd agree that he's the best full mma fighter with a bjj base, but I've never really seen him tie someone up as easily as an aoki or maia. BJ's always won with strikes just as much as submissions, while maia so far wins with jiu jitsu alone.
    test
  6. Ben Official

really? penn destroyyyys people on the ground dude. the only reason he has so many finishes by TKO is because he has the best striking i've ever seen for a grappler. the reason aoki has more submissions is because thats all he has. he can't strike like bj can. bj TOYS with people on the ground. you can watch a few of his fights and see how he literally toys with them on the ground. he can submit them at any time, he might have a rnc or an arm bar or a triangle but choose not to finish them that way because he wants to beat them up more or finish it a differnent way (see penn vs pulver 2, and i think he did the same in stevenson). hes really a true beast on the ground and his flexibility allows him to do insane shit, taking the back easily from the guard, his take down defense, hes just insane dude.
    test
  7. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

ok now then look at it this way.... who has peen ever beaten with his ground domination????

his 2 failures against st pierre show that hes not superior at bjj to bigger guys

gsp ragdolled his ass

and every win against a decent grappler came as a decision, so its not like he 'had a submission at any time'

people make too many excuses for bj and overestimate him way too much

yeah the dude likes to fight up weight classes, thats pretty cool and he is highly skilled bjj and striking FOR HIS SIZE, thats cool too

but man ive just about heard enough about bj and the excuses and how great he is etc etc
    test
  8. Ben Official

who has penn beaten with his ground domination??? what do you mean, are you saying all of his good wins have come by his stand up? just wikipedia him man. he tapped hughes in hughes prime.

lol @ "his 2 failures against st pierre show that hes not superior at bjj to bigger guys" right... because he lost to one bigger, stronger, guy with incredible wrestling in amazing shape means he can't hang with any big guys... did you forget he tapped hughes in matt's prime when he was believed to be one of the best fighters on the planet? that comment makes no sense.. can you elaborate?

i'm not saying he can submit anyone at any time lol, i named 2 fights where he toyed with the fighters and had submission opportunities that he purposefully did not finish because he did not want to.

just because he doesn't choose to always rely on his bjj doesn't mean it isn't up there with the best in mma.

[youtube]w1kLYq2noc8[/youtube]

theres bj rolling with leozinho vieira, one of the best black belts in the world.

"yeah the dude likes to fight up weight classes, thats pretty cool and he is highly skilled bjj and striking FOR HIS SIZE,"

yeah.. for his size... lol what... so to be the best bjj in mma you have to be able to dominate people in every weight class? what do you mean by that? that makes no sense to me lol. yeah for his size, he is one of the best p4p fighters on the planet. he proved he can't fight as well when he puts on weight. does that take away from him being one of the best p4p? hell no. it proves he needs to stick around his natural weight and fight guys his size. if gsp moved up to heavy weight and got handled by fedor would you say gsp sucks?
    test
  9. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

penn WANTS to fight up weight classes, he thinks he can handle bigger guys, he cant

and all you did was name hughes 2x... hughes also beat the tar out of his face the 2nd time
    test
  10. Ben Official

yeah..... penn wants to... he can't.. so it proves he can't fight above his weight.. what does that have anything to do with his jiu jitsu in mma? lol

i think you're letting your bj hate automatically draw you away from considering his bjj skills
    test
  11. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

probably... but shouldnt a guy that has such great bjj be gobbling up peoples limbs like we see maia and jacare do?

maybe i havent seen ALL bj's matches but the majority of the ones ive seen havent overly impressed me... i mean a majority decision loss to jens pulver in 02????

there is almost no excuse for that
    test
  12. Ben Official

he had jens in an arm bar at the end of the first or 2nd round i cant remember, but it was right at the buzzer and he was like a milisecond from tapping.

watch the last pulver fight. or the stevenson one.

and no, jacare and maia go for attack after attack because thats all they have is their bjj. they can't rely on anything but jiu jitsu. bj has great striking as well so he doesn't need to jsut go for submissions

and by the way, how many times he has lost and to who is irrelevant unless its due to tap out. he could have gotten knocked a 100 times but still had the best jiu jitsu in mma. the question was who has the best jiu jitsu in mma not who is the best fighter (although i'd argue bj is the best p4p out of all of the jiu jitsu guys i listed)
    test
  13. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i guess, but shouldnt we see it applied?

i know youre gonna defend bj tooth and nail but i would think a guy who is supposed to be one of the top bjj players in the world at his weight that can also strike should be even more effective at finishing fights with his sub attack
    test
  14. Blue Bayou

Blue Bayou The Sothist.

Tank Abbott.
    test
  15. Ben Official

but we do see it applied lol.

Dailymotion - B.J. Penn Highlight - The Prodigy, a video from hipnotik925. BJ, Penn, B.J., Prodigy, Best

i was trying to find hughes penn 1, hughes gsp 1, pulver 2, gomi, and ludwig but all i could find was ludwig.

the highlights pretty good but the one thing it doesn't show is how bj set up a lot of those submissions. the way he took hughes' back was beautiful. and i think it was bj vs gsp 1 where he took his back from the guard and it was fucking perfect. not to mention watching people try to take him down (except the 2nd gsp fight) is crazy.

i'm sure you've seen this

[​IMG]

he is really amazing man. give him a chance sometime.
    test
  16. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i could be more open to him if he werent such a fuckin flaky weirdo, then again to be a fighter u have to be a different kinda dude

ive seen him do this in fights before.... his balance and sense of bodily self-awareness is insane!
    test
  17. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

marcio cruz????

forgot about him

he tooled the fuck outta mir AND beat feijao
    test
  18. Ben Official

marcio cruz? not even close imo

but yeah.

heres' bleacher reports top 10 bjj in mma (this was made before jacare so of course i'd put him in there as well as andre galvao and marcelinho regardless how they do in the dream gp). oh also rani yahya is up there too. theres also a few others that haven't really made a big name in the mma world yet but are very well known in bjj.

the report is pretty accurate in my opinion, aside from the fact they put NATE DIAZ ahead of DEMIAN MAIA, PAOLO FILHO, ARONA, ALMEIDA.... HELL NO lmao... wtf

but they still put bj as #1. aside from nate being on there the list is pretty accurate.

The Top 10 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) Fighters in MMA Today | Bleacher Report
    test
  19. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i thought pdp was a adcc champion

am i wrong?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.