Is it ok to marry someone mostly for security/stability not love? ...................

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by mr.rip, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

Is it ok to marry someone if you're mostly doing it for the security/stability and you mostly think of them as a best friend or part of the family? What if there was someone else in the picture but you haven't known them as long as the person you're going to marry but they want to be with you and would take care of you and is in love with you?
    test
  2. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

you know what you got some ridiculous people in this world lol. some peeps get married just to say they are married. other get married for money and thatis it just to be well off. then they kill or have someone to kill their spouse so they can have all the loot lol.
    test
  3. tight-eyes

tight-eyes Such a F*cking Lady!

Yes, I think it is okay to marry primarily based on security/stability. That has actually been the norm for thousands of years... arranged marriages and such. The concept of marrying for "love" is a fairly recent phenomenon (developed over the past few hundred years), which also correlates to increase in failed marriages and the destabilization of family structures.
    test
  4. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

lol i don't like those arranged marriages lol that would suck if you and your mate was happy with each other or had nothing in common.
    test
  5. tight-eyes

From what I understand (I'm studying cultural anthropology right now... hte hitory of mariage is a part of it), a lot of folks in those arranged marriages grow to love one another over time. And I believe the families that arranged the marriages would have their child's best interest at heart, and not choose someone with whom their child had absolutely nothing in common.
    test
  6. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Lmao, it's all about opinions imo.

If you think it's okay in your mind, then do your thing. Lol, I wouldn't agree, but do your thing.
    test
  7. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

thats all well and good but in the mean time i can't stand your ass lol
    test
  8. tight-eyes

"Deal with it! Yo ass aint no walk in the park, either" LMFAO
    test
  9. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

you a nut i just can't do it haha. i would be mad as hell at my mother and father after i tell them that i am in love with the woman i have now and they be like thats your probolem. you going to marry jenny cause her family got money and they gave us a bunch of goats for you to marry her when you was born lol. i'd be like well divoice my mother and go live with her and the goats then lol.
    test
  10. ebonisunset

ebonisunset Nemesis of Truth

marriage should be for love. i think thats why alot of marriages are failing these days cause peoples ideas of marriage is twisted as hell
    test
  11. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

lol yup cause they plant the wrong kind of seeds everything you do today and in the past effects your tomorrow.
    test
  12. tight-eyes

I understand where you're coming from.

What about situations where the parents/families basically have the final say on whether the marriage will take place or not. Like, when a man asks the woman's family for permission to propose to her. Her family (or his, or both) would size each partner up, consider all the variables, and decide whether the two intendeds would be suitable marriage partners. What would you think about that?

Have you ever given your daughter advice about or placed restrictions on the guys shes dated? I think parents sometimes have better insight, that they can offer... they've been there done that and have the benefit of experience and perspective.

At the church I sometimes go to, the Pastor suggests couples get pre-enagement counseling... before an engagement even takes place (when the couple is less likely to be open to consideration that they might not be a good match). I think that's a great idea.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.