is it gay if im in love with premo

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by EmceeGoddess, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solon L

solon L that boy

J-Zone is one of my personal favorites too. Ah fuck this topic, I'm going to end up discussing top __ producers lists.
    test
  2. TheAak

TheAak Well-Known Member

lol

yes
    test
  3. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

yeah the beatnuts always have ridic beats, did juju do off the books? muggs is also ill i like his work with gza

j zone also has super unique beats i love the little sounds he tosses in em
    test
  4. Coldhands

Coldhands Member

This Premo beat will always be my favorite.

[youtube]-sqnNktfgKE[/youtube]
    test
  5. billing

billing Member

DJ Premier is absolutely one of the greatest producers of all time. I learned an incredible amount about production from listening to his style of chopping and flipping samples.

I will say that Premo doesn't generally dig too deep into tracks; he usually chops a sample from the first few seconds of a song, but that's the benefit of finding the song first, so get your cratedigging on, bitches.

My top 5 producers of all time, insofar as influencing my beatmaking style (in order):

1) DJ Premier
    2) RZA
    3) Kanye West / Just Blaze
    4) DJ Muggs
    5) Pete Rock

Honourable mentions: Dilla, Bomb Squad, Neptunes, Dr. Dre, Lord Finesse, Prince Paul, Easy Mo Bee, J-Zone, Ali Shaheed Muhammad (or whoever produced Tribe's early stuff, it clearly wasn't Qtip, haha)
    test
  6. marsblackmon23

marsblackmon23 Active Member

there's a lot of people in your honourable mentions that could of easily replaced kanye west/just blaze...easily, and q-tip did actually have alot to do with tribe called quest's early stuff
    test
  7. Caustic

Caustic H.ated N.ow I.n C.anada

nas is like is one of my all time jams

disappointed with the tags lately
    test
  8. billing

billing Member

I agree with you, but my list was who influenced my beats rather than who had the greatest body of work. If it was a top 5 greatest of all time, then Dilla and Dr. Dre would replace Blaze/West and Muggs.

As for Q-tip, he might have had a hand on People's Distinctive Rhythms and Low End Theory, but Dilla clearly supplanted him after that. Not to mention Dilla ghostproducing "One Love"......there was an article by Quest Love in Source magazine right when "The Love Movement" came out, and he said himself that Ali Shaheed Muhammad was the engine behind Tribe's production on the first two albums, after which the Ummah (read: Dilla) took over.
    test
  9. marsblackmon23

i understand your list a bit more now

i've heard those very same things about dilla before (even heard he did production on T.R.O.Y.) but then also heard most of these stories have been embellished or just simply made up because dilla met tribe just after Midnight Marauders dropped and sometimes simply just supplied drums or the breaks, i wouldnt be surprised if dilla did have a hand in any of these beats though

anyway how can i hear your stuff?
    test
  10. billing

billing Member

test
  11. Chase Moore

Chase Moore beats & bars @ ur service

Timbo deserves a top 5 spot also. Look @ him as a whole. That motherfucker created his own sound. With cats like Premo & Dila etc.. their style is obviously heavily sample based, Dre's influence is from the 70s P Funk shit, but Timbaland got his shit from god knows where. jimmy douglas his engineer is nuts also, dude did zepelin, pink floyd, etc. anyways, look @ timbos discography as a whole..dude has smash hits in hip-hop, R & B, club & pop shit and even though some of the songs are questionable, the beats are fire 95% of the time. but shout out to all the producers already mentioned, i like all of them....oh yeah that one chase moore guys pretty good...
    test
  12. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

itd be nice of that chase moore butt head would hook up a beat for a certain posse cut ya dig
    test
  13. marsblackmon23

true but i would argue that what premo, dilla and other sample heavy based producers did with samples was just as amazing as what timbaland did with his own sound, they changed the game in many other ways, for example dilla had alot of people convinced most of his beats were played with live instrumentation when really he just knew how to make it sound that way by an extreme amount of tweaking, also dilla used to replay the actual samples themselves (played all the instruments himself etc.) just so he could mess around with them more

timbaland is sick though, but prefer most of his early stuff (i know magoo is annoying but the first album he did with timbaland was dope)
    test
  14. marsblackmon23

you got ill beats man, i'm feeling most of them, nah i don't do beats but i may start one day
    test
  15. billing

billing Member

Yeah, Timbaland is a monster for sure....imho he was heavily influenced by Jungle, Drum & Bass, and UK trip-hop when he first started getting fame (post-Jodeci). Those stutter-step drums were basically Jungle drums and breaks slowed down to hip-hop tempos. I give Timbaland mad props for expanding his sound though; the man even went to India to study Indian classical music, which has a completely different musical nomenclature than the western paradigm....that's dedication to mastering the craft.

Your beats are nice though Chase, I've been a fan of your ish since I first heard that X-men verse of yours like a year and a half ago. Keep grinding.
    test
  16. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

timbo did sample quite a bit in his early work homie.
    Research.
    test
  17. billing

billing Member

respect fam, I appreciate it.
    test
  18. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

[​IMG]

Nas Is Like is easily one of my favorite beats by Premier. Premo is my favorite producer because even though his beats may not be as complex as other producers, his ear for music is incredible. It's crazy how he can take a short 3 note sample, either loop it or just change one note, stick some energetic drums behind it, and it doesn't get old throughout the whole song. At least, for me.

One of my favorite examples
    [youtube]nLym6JTe3dA[/youtube]
    Here's a more recent one where he only changes one note every two bars and it sounds completely different. The second bar is practically all drums. lol The kick is pretty much on the 1 and the snare on the 3, or the 2 and 4, with just a little variation thrown in from time to time but it still has swing to it and never sounds robotic. It's crazy!
    [youtube]NjPl6Ia2pCU[/youtube]
    test
  19. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

Dilla was influenced by Pete Rock heavily but he didn't have a hand in production on T.R.O.Y. I don't think he met Pete until years later. I've heard Pete say that beat was all him but if he had any help at all, it would have been from Large Professor, who basically taught him how to work a SP1200.
    test
  20. Elaquent

Elaquent Gill Breathing

I dare anyone to listen to like water for chocolate (common) and still sleep on jay dee.

Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.