Is it even possible for there to be a new religion?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by breathlesss, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

test
  2. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

Ironically, the rise of science and technology will probably bring about more religions.

As long as there are gaps to be filled, religion will always adapt to social circumstances and reinvent.
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

This is the age of aquarius. Its to be expected.
    test
  4. patrown

patrown student for life

remembering scientology for the win.
    test
  5. RETSoldja

RETSoldja Telling it like it is.

It already has- Scientology exists... Unless Tom Cruise is perpetually on crack.

EDIT: Hat tip to Patrown, who beat me to this by ten seconds.
    test
  6. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

scientology involves about as much real science as a paper clip
    test
  7. RETSoldja

Scientology is based mainly around science fiction- Yet even that science fiction is based upon science and technology; and sometimes, that fiction is what science and technology is based upon.

Example: Gene Roddenberry.
    test
  8. breathlesss

you can gene my rod an' berries
    test
  9. RETSoldja

Pass.

Talk to Jabba the Hutt. He'll eat anything slimy and rotting.
    test
  10. 2old4thisshit

2old4thisshit Member

It is funny though, the more science progresses the more the religion evolves. The possibilities of the unknown and suspected workings of our universe are harder to comprehend by the day, kind of like an infinite being.
    test
  11. 2old4thisshit

2old4thisshit Member

It's almost as hard to swallow as the idea life started from absolutely nothing, and what a huge coincidence mankind is (believed by some). It seems far more likely another race of creatures put us here than a 1 in a kazillion chance we were formed from random bacteria colliding in our infinite universe and viola.
    test
  12. breathlesss

that aliens or whatever creatures themselves would've had to come from something as well, see, i think that the biotic life coming from a primordial soup thing is just part of the original equations, one of the many possibilities, a highly unlikely one...but, given the ridiculously vast amount of times the interactions of the "soup molecules" happened, it becomes actually likely, if not gaurenteed, given enough time...think about it

there's billions of days in millions of years
    there's like 864,000 or so seconds in just a day
    in one second there was millions of interactions happening
    a cubic inch of P. soup has millions of molecules interacting in it
    there was millions of cubic inches of p. soup

that makes the odds against the one time it needed to happen dwindle by like...
    '''''''''''''''millions
    millions..........%

*that wsa the only way i could figure how to make "millions to the power of millions percent" look right...
    test
  13. 2old4thisshit

2old4thisshit Member

I understand, and have explored that theory, or fact depending on what you want to believe. You are right, even if we were genetically programmed, the programmers had to come from something so while on Earth that can set the tone, thinking universally you end up with the same problem.

Being that this universe is 4 billion years old or whatever it is they say, how old are the the other universes some believe to exist? Where did the particles come from? Why is the earth full of all the ingredients to make all sorts of life, and seem to have been played out like a book.

Lets say you were to be the ruler or manager of an ecosystem, or your own planet, how would you want it to shape up? You would know you'd have ample time to do so, so you'd start with large creatures to soften the soil and landscape, also leaving ass amounts of gasses behind. So after dinosaurs are wiped out (this is suggesting that was their purpose) in comes mammals on a planet that has been groomed for many neccessities required to sustain and progress mankind. You have all the tools and needed molecules at your disposal so whipping up a man the taking the cloning route (which is most likely possible seen how we can clone everything else) would be pretty simple.

The question then is why. Maybe as a test to see what certain lifeforms can coexist on the same planet? Test whether or not the Earth is a safe place for life compared to planet x?

I don't know, but it seems like if you throw mass coincidence out the window it would seem to make sense that we are in fact a large experiment.
    test
  14. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

Universe is 13.75 Billion Years Old. Our solar system is 4.6 Billion Years Old. The dinosaurs were nowhere near the start of life on this planet. Having first appeared only some 250 Million years ago. And most likely lived along side early mammals though probably just small rodents.
    test
  15. breathlesss

I think you maybe meant galaxy, or solar system, or planet, or were confused, or something weird like that,
    as for the planet, that's supposed to be 4-5 billion years
    the universe 15-20 billion
    and i'm not actually sure about the solar system and galaxy, but, obviously, all the universal particles of the galaxies came from the same shibang...
    the galaxy would be far older than the solar system, and the solar system older than the planet...

i think it's somewhat like that, but, it wasn't so much god, or aliens, whatever playing a real life Sim Earth game, from what I understand the big animals were the majority because of the climate, offering abundant resources to feed on, and growing ever larger until inevitable extinction, which happened to come prematurely due to an asteroid (or maybe an alien nuked 'em, millions of years in advance for the purpose of their fossil fuels and whatnot...) and then the smaller animals survived better 'cause they didn't need as much food after the asteroid dusty atmosphere plant famine shit...all that seems pretty logical and possible, but what makes me wonder is how the human evolution from chimps/orangutans whatever, happened so ridiculously fast in comparison to the prior events...it seems there was something prodding our development along...

but as for the aliens, if that's the theory we're going at, which sorta makes sense to me, they could've developed naturally on a planet that existed in a solar system with a much longer capacity of existence, i mean, even just a billion or so more years would make sense of the rap.id evolutionary development, and allow them to be far more technological than us, all naturally...

but regardless, it don't matter what bones we find, or particles we detect, the fact remains, nothing doesn't come from nothing, so the only option is some higher power created it, and most obviously, it created the "big bang" and set a mass of beautiful equations of probability into motion, and we are now allowed to let our hair blow in the wind while we're allowed to come along for the ride
    test
  16. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

I’m just waiting for another coffee stained scroll to be found in a middle eastern cave somewhere claiming god came in the form of a dolphin to bring salvation to Atlantis.
    test
  17. 2old4thisshit

2old4thisshit Member

As far as the age of the universe, I have no idea and I understand how science equates the age. There are so many variables that can fuck that mathematical equation up it's silly. I'm pretty sure other galaxies are billions of years older than ours which definitely would suggest the possibility of far greater advancements as far as technology is concerned.

The idea of the big bang may explain our universe to some, but as I touched on before, wouldn't it have been spawned from another universe (considering the fact we now believe there to be in upwards of zillions of universes) which would derail so much of the scientific minds belief of the big bang starting it all.

I don't know what killed the dinosaurs off for sure, it was probably a combination of what you described, as well as bacteria, and virus. The meteor/potential nuke that did hit our earth probably played a huge role, but I feel like it would take more than that to wipe out every specie.

Non religious people are very fixated on the idea that GOD is of the same genre as Santa Claus. They probably do so based on the "fairytale" type stories they are told, or read on their own in the bible. I don't think of god like that at all. And I hate to use the word alien but that's exactly what everything not of this earth is to us. The reason I brought up dinosaurs is if you think about it, this earth has played out exactly how you would want it if your intention was to one day have man rule the earth. Who knows if were the last creatures to do so, but up until this point everything has been laid out precisely.

Here's a question for you, what would happen on this earth if say aliens did visit the earth and explained to us that they did put us here, and they are who we refer to as god? Mass hysteria? Rejoice? Would religion collapse or grow stronger?

Problem with that as you earlier stated is, ok et, who created you? Who put you guinea pigs on your planet? Still no answers. That's what is so frustrating to me when thinking about the possibilities.
    test
  18. 2old4thisshit

2old4thisshit Member

That's great, but I think you're putting way too much stock in the when as opposed to why. Noone said the earth came stocked with dinosaurs upon it's inception. They were merely a starting point pertaining to this discussion.
    test
  19. breathlesss

well, a lot of it would depend on their agenda for us now, were they doing it as a favor, or molding us into the things they wanted us to be for some strange evil purpose, or maybe even they were using us as a means to stay alive, genetically, because their planet was dying (but that mean they would be extinct and not contacting us...)...or maybe they were making us to tailor the planet and get it ready for them, all buildings and infrastructure built for them, and they're just gonna eradicate us...that would suck...
    regardless tho, i think it would play out into a couple different "type" groups

devout, blind faith, scripture bound religionists would be destroyed mentally, and either kill themselves or accept the truth
    smart people would be massively happy that another piece of the puzzle is definitively fit into place, and glad that all the devout, blind faith, scripture bound religionists no longer exist
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.