Is Eminem back?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by cDensley, Dec 8, 2013.

1. cDensley

cDensley Member

I've heard many differentiating reviews of MMLP2, and I'm still indifferent myself. Do you guys think that Shady's back? I think MMLP2 obviously isn't the best, but it definitely has it's moments. Do you guys think that Em still has it? Or is he just making bullshit for the media now?
    test
  2. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

He'll never be back as we knew him, but that doesn't mean he won't continue to grow as an artist..
    test
  3. cDensley

cDensley Member

@GaLaTeA

That's true. Em will always be Em, just not to the full extent. There's one line from I think from Relapse where he says, "They gave The Slim Shady LP a 3, three years later they say it's the greatest. The Marshall Mathers LP was great, but Encore didn't have the caliber match it. Give it three years that shit'll be Illmatic." Is that true? Does the same apply to MMLP2? I certainly don't think the same applies to Recovery. At least not IMO.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Think sobriety took all the fun out of Eminem as did dealing with other issues.. Doubt MMLP2 will ever amount to/be as highly regarded to be deemed a "classic" - it's a solid album with probably the sickest wordplay he's shown to date, but that's not enough.

Almost feels as though he's trapped inside of a capsule trying to produce hit albums, but has been ran over father time and mother hipsteria and has now found himself in an unfamiliar music territory where he can't deliver what's expected of him nor is able to find a marketing niche to get back on top once more..
    test
  5. cDensley

cDensley Member

@GaLaTeA

That's sadly true. Another line from Em in My Darling from Relapse, while Dre is speaking, says, "I don't know, it just seems like ever since you got off of your drugs, you got a lot softer." It's sad, but a majority of Em fans just want Shady, not Marshall. That's why, IMO, albums like Recovery aren't as big.

I personally think that, and this happens way too often in music, people get to know one side of an artist, and they automatically don't like any other side. For example, Shady and Marshall. If someone hears The Slim Shady LP, they might love it. They love Shady. Then, they hear Recovery, and they think, "What the hell is this?!" Not to drop another lyric, but from Without Me, Em says, "I've created a monster, cause nobody wants Marshall no more, they want Shady, I'm chopped liver." Another example, Kanye. If someone, me for example, loves Graduation and The College Dropout Ye, then they hear Yeezus, they may freak out (like I did at first, but Yeezus isn't actually that bad, still kicking myself for hating it at first). Another example is Childish Gambino with Because The Internet. Camp had so much replay potential, and had more of a hip-hop feel to it, and BTI had such a different feel to it. On the thread on here about it, BTI feels like one long song, rather than an album. So... Yeah. XD
    test
  6. vandalism

vandalism the king

nah

eminem basically hit the zeitgeist perfectly back around 2000. now he's just a old rich dude, doesn't really have anythin to rap about, switched up his flow and beats, it ain't worked since 2002. I mean I guess he still sellin shitload of records every time and it gives him somethin to do, but he nowhere near the classic level he was at 1999-2002
    test
  7. Superman70

Superman70 edited

i dont think people care if it's shady or marshall if the music is good and he's not using stupid corny accents or screaming in your ears.

MMLP2 was good, and i think he's as close to MMLP1 Eminem as he's going to get.

I cant imagine what else he's going to have to talk about after this album but maybe he'll come up with something.

And get some better beats
    test
  8. cDensley

cDensley Member

Oh believe me. People definitely care wether it's Shady or Marshall. I've read on multiple sites and know multiple people who either only like Shady and hate Marshall, or who only like Marshall and hate Shady.
    test
  9. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

That might be like that for simple minded people... like Juggalos or something that get off on the shtick and not the techniques.

IMO it's not shady vs marshall as personalities with the drugs, it's the way you hear music and the creative headspace you're in, especially with Em taking everything under the sun putting him in that Van Gogh & Salvador Dali mindstate.

weed x flow / beats = science

test
  10. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

rip prime em 99-04
    test
  11. ronnie enclade

ronnie enclade Member

prime eminem to me was 1997-02 but yeah i agree it's over for him.
    test
  12. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

U wasn't bumping em in 97
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

test
  14. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

Listened to MMLP2 once and then a few tracks again...Have yet to have the desire to listen again. Must be age cuz I just don't feel this dude's music anymore. A lot of people say he's still dope, but I just don't hear it
    test
  15. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

That doesn't mean he wasn't recording dope shit then.
    test
  16. Tacky Jones

He's too focused on wordplay and lil Wayne metaphors. I don't wanna hear him talk about wiping his butt with the mic.

But this album was his best as far as word play of the recent ones. He had some genius shit. "Bitch is such a broad statement" gives me a jolly.
    test
  17. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Em is Jordan on the Bobcats

Wait...
    test
  18. Tacky Jones

That's a lil far.

I'd say Johan Santana on the mets. Injury prone, gets hurt a lot but damn good when healthy.
    test