is Dustin Pedroia really a viable MVP candidate?

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by DannyC, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Really? Jody Gerut is the starting catcher on the team with the 2nd best ERA and poised for the best record in his league?

For all that wonderful 327 BA Pedroia has, he has a whopping 4 point advantge in OPS+, which most baseball experts agree, is the best tool to measure a hitter, all around. Soto is absolutely as viable a candidate as Pedroia, IMO.

Both are viable candidates. Now you can go back to defending every Boston athlete as if he is a sure-fire hall of famer.
    test
  2. DannyC

DannyC Stay golden, pony boy.

soto wont win the mvp. period.

pedroia might. advantage: pedroia.
    test
  3. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

heh.
    test
  4. DannyC

allow me to put that in perspective for you.

a second baseman has a 4 point advantage in OPS on your star catcher and a lock for ROY. thats not even close to normal.

combine that with the fact that right now pedroia is 1st in avg, 1st in runs scored, 1st in hits, 1st in doubles, top 20 in obp, slg, and ops, he has as many walks as strike outs, and 17 home runs and 17 steals just to push it. btw, hes 3rd in the league in total bases behind only huff and hamilton, and hes not behind by much (huff 320, hamilton 311, pedroia 306). hes also tied for 6th in extra base hits.

but the big question is, would the red sox be tied for first right now, as they are, without pedroia's ridiculous performance from a position that usually does not produce these kind of numbers?

answer: no.

suck on it.

"heh."
    test
  5. DannyC

also,

your guy soto has 11 less xbh, 65 less total bases, only 5 more home runs, only 4 more rbi's, 70 more k's, batting almost 50 points lower, scored close to 50 runs less, has close to 80 less hits, lower obp for soto... etc etc etc

the only thing soto has him on is slugging.

the guy is OBVIOUSLY not the offensive player that pedroia is.

look at the stats again if you disagree, because frankly, if u do, ur bias is comedy.
    test
  6. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Pedroia is also in a weaker field where nobody really seems to have an edge..
    test
  7. DannyC

except, according to national pundits, justin morneau
    test
  8. DannyC

i just read this again, and i mustve skipped over this to go straight to the pedroia stuff without realizing how stupid you are.

jody gerut is an outfielder. not only that, he plays for the padres, who have the 18th best era in the majors.

so um yeah, you need to uh.. stop posting on baseball threads.
    test
  9. double ML

double ML Guest

youkilis > pedroia
    test
  10. Nam Dekan

Morneau is my man! He has overtaken Josh Hamilton for the AL lead in RBI's
    test
  11. DannyC

glad to see old soul ducking out of this thread as he should have
    test
  12. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Calm down...it's obvious he was talking about Soto and just mistakingly mentioned another player. It's certainly no worse than this gem you dropped a few years ago...

Let's count how many things you were wrong about in this one post...
    -His name isn't Erik Hanson
    -His name isn't Eric Hanson (Craig Hansen)
    -He wasn't the closer at Syracuse (Went to St. Johns)
    -He wasn't a 4 year closer in college (Only 3 years)
    -He's not nasty...the Red Sox traded him and he couldn't cut in the Pirates bullpen and they sent him down before bringing him back up solely because of the expanded rosters.

OLL @ you mocking someone else for an error and actually saying he should stop posting in baseball threads.
    test
  13. double ML

double ML Guest

^^sick burn

GO FINS!

FUCK NEW ENGLAND!
    test
  14. DannyC

years ago?

how long were u looking for that?

i live here and now. and i ended this thread.

moving forward.
    test
  15. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

I was just given an old laptop so I have net access again.

Danny, seriously, you thought I was talking about Gerut? You really thought I don't know who Jody Gerut is? I was mentioning how ridiculous comparing Gerut to Soto is, in terms of MVP consideration.

In case you haven't noticed, there is not more than a handful of catchers producing nowadays, whereas there are numerous MIF putting up nice numbers. Soto is a rookie, Pedroia is not. So who really should have the advantage? Soto is the catcher, on the team with the 2nd best ERA in the NL, you idiot.... seriously thinking I was talking about Gerut...

The only reason you have such a crazy decision in the AL is because you don't have a player of Albert Pujols caliber. Soto is a very viable MVP candidate, never did I say winner.

Also, McCizoy, don't forget Buchholz and Elisbury are superstars already... ESPN said so.
    test
  16. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Just to add on... if your #2 or 3 hitter DOESN'T have more runs than our #6 or 7, something is wrong. This is precisely why runs and RBI (notice I didn't even mention Soto's advantage there) are horrible comparative stats. They are dependant upon too many outside factors. This is not a hard concept to understand. Put Pujols on the Red Sox and he leads the AL in RBI... The stats that Pedroia fairly and credibly has an advantage are hits, BA, doubles, OBP (although he has less walks than Soto and thus, has a FAR lower BA/OBP differential - Pedroia falls to Soto's 285 BA and suddenly his OBP is 330 with prolly a 430-450 SLG) 50 doubles is phenomenal no matter how you slice it... steals aren't exactly fair, comparing a MIF to a catcher. A catcher takes years off his career trying to be a base stealer... ask Russell Martin why his numbers have dropped.

Again, I never said Soto was a more viable candidate... I simply proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he is a much more viable candidate than Jody fucking Gerut and definitely at least comparable to Dustin Pedroia. Pedroia is the spark, Soto is the rock - those are important intangibles, which are what becomes the focal point of MVP talk.
    test
  17. Nam Dekan

if the Tigers were doing something thing year then Miguel might be in the MVP hunt. He has really come on strong after sucking ass to start the year
    test
  18. Newportz

Newportz Guest

Pedroia has been dying in September...
    test
  19. double ML

double ML Guest

jorge cantu & shin soo choo have been on fire this month
    test
  20. DannyC

thank you for that report from the yahoo fantasy front page