Is battle rap loosing momentum or on the rise...

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by Handinyourpants, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Handinyourpants

Handinyourpants Milk was a bad choice

Just something I noticed after hollow/surf, but I feel like the pure art of battle rap has hit it's peak and is now starting to be more of a popularity contest/pop preformence. It could be that battles just don't interest me the same but I remember looking forward to battles a lot more. They were real and different from all the shit that comes out now. I have been a fan for about 6 years. Didn't catch the freestyle era live but caught up. Does it get worse from now on? What can be watched to renew that feeling? Thoughts? Or just call me a fag or whatever, but this sucks.
    test
  2. Dougay43

Dougay43 Member

Youre growing out of the interest. That and battle rap is like hiphop. the purity is beginning to fade and its all about performance and getting the crowd energetic than actually dissing your opponent with pure hatred. went from a hobby to a business and now money is probably the driving force aside from pride and competition like it used to be. some people have been able to use this style in todays form i believe though.
    test
  3. Handinyourpants

Great insight. Thanks bro. It's funny that the pride and desire kinda disappears once money becomes the driving factor. Funny, the more people like something the the faster it deteriorates. I guess more battlers/battles doesn't mean better battlers/battles.
    test
  4. Sin Skywalker

Sin Skywalker #184 Gladiator.

I think it depends on the performance. It has it's ebbs and flows. I can be disinterested at times but then a performance like Verb against Hitman will come around and "wow" me, tbh.

Depends on the battle, I guess.
    test
  5. Handinyourpants

@SinSSMG that's definitely a factor. I've been going back to some of the wrc and scribble jam battles because of the raw energy that the top freestylers brought. You either preformed or flopped, a lot less room for debate and a lot more passion.
    test
  6. kublaikhanjohn

kublaikhanjohn Well-Known Member

Ur op i real opinionated. If you want others opinions, i think its on the rise. Its about to be on tv, sm3 will be crazy, pat stay getti g the tittle will be crazy, etc.
    test
  7. Handinyourpants

I agree battle rap as a culture is getting bigger everyday. Celeb shout outs, Adrian bronner stepping in the ring. I feel that the quality of the performances is going down hill. Or it could be that I'm just loosing interest. Any reccomondations?
    test
  8. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

I dunno, I watch a lot of Don't Flop, these guys are creative.
    test
  9. My Kall

My Kall Well-Known Member

I think battle-rap is still in its heyday, but it reached it's pinnacle in August/September 2012 after Summer Madness 2, I'm not sure it will get more popular.

Battle-rap has lived through at least 3 eras, but each era has been a golden era in it's own right, league's have come and gone, but battle-rap has never actually undergone a decline.

There was the post 8-Mile 2003-2006 era, MTV and BET experimented with it, Scribble Jam was awesome, Iron Solomon was on a wrecking spree, Smack was on a DVD, and the era culminated in Thesaurus/Illmaculate's WRC victory.

There was a 2007-2009 transitional era, battle-rap disconnected itself from Hip-Hop and became a totally separate entity, Thesaurus inspired a generation of clones, it globalised in the WRCs 2007, freestyling died, Grind Time almost monopolized the industry, multi-syllabics and jokes were trends, leagues like Lions Den, Fight Klub, Street Status bridged the gap between Smack DVD and URL, and this era concluded at BOLA 3, in December 2009 when Okwerdz and Hollow battled each other.

The onset of URL in early 2010 signalled a new era, that we might still be in. Rounds got much longer, battles lost replay value, it became more of a sport than entertainment, it stopped being cool to hate on street battlers, it became more macho and aggressive, gun-talk replaced comedy, cross-over battles became common-place, it became more demographically integrated, celebrities started taking an interest, events happened on a much grander scale in front of massive audiences, videos went hi-def. During this era URL has always been the dominant league, in 2010 GT was URL's rival competitor, in 2011/2012 it was KOTD, and now Don't Flop is URL's main challenger.

I do think there is room for further evolution, there will be a generation of kids born 92-93 onwards that will have grown up with battle-rap, and they'll be much more influenced by Thesaurus, Hollow, Verb etc than by Hip-Hop rappers, and they'll have grown up aspiring to be battle-rappers rather than Hip-Hop artists, and when they come of age they'll innovate the scene in some kind of a way and take battle-rap in a new direction.
    test
  10. antilluminati

Think that perspective is based on which league you put at the pinnacle. Not everyone has URL as their go-to league, and people base their definition of skill on other things. I personally think URL only bgot interesting within the last year-six months. Kotd lost a bit momentum with the merger but it's gonna pick up when the get used to getting it to work. Don't Flop's been consistently improving since the beginning and they never fail to deliver.
    test
  11. MAKOTO.

MAKOTO. HACK DETECTOR

for the amount of battles released im actually kind of surprised that peoples verses are still distinct. I.e even if the angle is pretty much "asian joke" youll hear a different variation of it.

the thing within the art that i think no on cares about but should is schemes, rhyme patterns whatever you want to call it. Clean set ups, quality of writing is what im trying to say.

i personally dont mind the way it is really because most cant really be bothered to pick apart someones set up, or how advanced one punchline was compared to the rest without kind of stopping and rewinding shit.

When it comes down to it, what hits right now IMO is.

-interesting multies
    -heavily emphasized punchlines
    -performance
    test
  12. antilluminati

multis and setups is what kotd, grindtime and don't flop's been doing since the start, and which URL's been sleeping on? Which is prob why theres a difference between these leagues and URL who seem to go for wordplay, street talk and theatrical performance instead.

What's happening is that somehow they're starting to incorporate eachothers strengths whiich is progress. This is why I wanna see more crossover events.

On some levels matchups are more even than URL fans would care to admit. Still looking forward to shit like Charron vs. Shotgun Suge ^^
    test
  13. PJ Sumroc

PJ Sumroc Ozone/Chi-town/Stump town

This post is hella on point^
    test
  14. antilluminati

for no reason at all I'mma post this battle:

See,, battling can be fun. ^^
    test
  15. antilluminati

Just realized we need more Serge 'n Mosh from rewatching their shit, funny as fuck.
    test
  16. BarZ.

BarZ. Over Everything

i ain't know what yall mean but errtime i see a B-Magic battle i get all antsy...
    test
  17. Rough Draft

Rough Draft New Member

I think Battle Rap is definitely still on its rise. URL is doing it really big with BET and all these artists/athletes Co-Signing a lot of the battlers. KOTD still holding it down with good match ups. The thing that I saw that I definitely agree with too is that the more battlers/battles doesn't equal up to better battles/battlers. I just hope that battlers will still keep the hunger. The chokes and the non serious attitudes are what hold battles that could potentially be classics and make them just another 30 min video.
    test
  18. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

If by momentum you mean popularity, I think it's just getting started on a larger level and there are going to be some crazy things happening that we'd never anticipate. Maybe not crazy like Eminem returning or even Cassidy and Meek Mill battling but larger venues, more huge international events, televised PPVs, all that stuff hasn't even had the corporate backing to come to fruition but it's becoming more possible now than it ever has been. As long as new fans keep coming to this, which they will, I think there still is a lot of gas left in the tank for battle rap.

If you are talking about passion and quality of battles, I hope it gets better but more money doesn't necessarily mean more passion. We've seen it do the opposite for battlers as soon as people started being paid. And as much as we may not like it, as you take out the rawer, unpredictable elements of battling, it will naturally lose some of it's charm while gaining accessibility and mass appeal. As long as the people guiding the culture are in it for the right reasons and attempting to preserve what is important to people, the ends justifies the means.

I'm just along for the ride as long as it stays interesting to me. I've been watching battles for so long, of course I want to see it continue to progress but if it all ended tomorrow, it was fun while it lasted.
    test
  19. My Kall

My Kall Well-Known Member

If battle-rap gets corporate investment and major media outlets promote it, then it could attract a wave of young disaffected, non-conformist males, because there is no other form of entertainment that projects machismo and rebelliousness anymore for them to relate to. If you were being taunted at school during the 2000s, you could identify with the thuggish Hip-Hop mentality, take solace in it, and it would make you feel cool and tough. As Hip-Hop's matured it's got a lot lighter, it's no longer macho, so battle-rap could fill that void, and replace Hip-Hop.

HOWEVER for this to work, the battles have to revert back to 1-2 minute rounds, because people have short attention spans, if something doesn't captivate them in the first few minutes they move onto the next video. I first got into battle-rap during the 1 minute round format, I don't know if I would have persevered with battle-rap if every battle was 30 minutes long, I might have instantly rejected it. I'm a seasoned follower, and I struggle to sit through battles, so imagine how exhausting it would be for a newcomer. URL has done incredibly well to gain the viewership that it has, but don't you think if the videos were shorter every video might get millions and millions of views, like Epic Meal Time?
    test
  20. antilluminati

2 minute rounds are perfect. 1 minute is about 16 bars and makes the battle under 10 minutes long, too short. 3 minutes should be main event only, ain't nobody got time for shit fillers from anyone else.
    test