Interesting article: Anderson Silva is Getting Old

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by The Nonpareil, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

Anderson Silva Is Getting Old -- MMA Fighting

Aging always feels like a difficult subject to broach: We all know we're getting older, but it feels rude to point it out about anyone else. But you can't follow sports and not be acutely aware of how athletes change as they age, and on Saturday night at UFC 117, we were reminded of a simple fact that it had so far been easy to overlook: Anderson Silva is getting old.

Although he managed to pull out a submission victory in the fifth round of his fight with Chael Sonnen, Saturday night's fight was by far the worst of Silva's UFC career. When an athlete Silva's age offers up a sub-par performance, it's hard not to conclude that age was a factor.

Silva is the oldest champion in any of the seven major weight classes in MMA, and he almost certainly will be for as long as he remains champion. Silva turned 35 in April, making him more than two years older than the next-oldest champion. And for that matter, Sonnen, at 33, is older than all of the fighters who could become a champion later this year.

Consider:
    * UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is 33, and No. 1 contender Cain Velasquez is 28.
    * UFC light heavyweight champion Shogun Rua is 28, and No. 1 contender Rashad Evans is 30.
    * UFC welterweight champion George St. Pierre is 29, and No. 1 contender Josh Koscheck is 32.
    * UFC lightweight champion Frank Edgar is 28, and No. 1 contender B.J. Penn is 31.
    * WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is 23, and No. 1 contender Manny Gamburyan is 29.
    * WEC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is 24, and No. 1 contender Joseph Benavidez is 26.

MMA is a young man's game. Randy Couture may be able to fight at a high level into his 40s, but Couture is an extreme outlier, not a fighter whose career path other fighters can realistically hope to emulate.There are plenty of former MMA champions who already look like they're showing their age and are younger than Silva: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is 34. Mike Brown is 34. Fedor Emelianenko is 33. Rampage Jackson is 32. Urijah Faber is 31. Miguel Torres is 29.

I'm not the only one who has taken notice of Silva's age. Sergio Non of USA Today pointed out Silva's age in noting that Sonnen managed to hit Silva with the kind of strikes that Silva used to avoid easily, while Silva didn't strike with the same kind of speed that we'd grown accustomed to seeing from him. And Jonathan Snowden of Bloody Elbow made a perceptive comment before the Sonnen fight comparing Silva to Roy Jones Jr., who was seemingly unbeatable in his late 20s and early 30s but has never been the same since turning 35.

Silva isn't done yet. He's still the best middleweight in MMA, and I'll pick him to win his next fight whether it's against Sonnen or Vitor Belfort. But age has closed the gap between Anderson Silva and the rest of the middleweight division. It won't be long before he suffers the fate of every elite athlete who sticks around long enough, and loses to a younger opponent.
    test
  2. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

age is a factor that shouldnt be underestimated. on the contrary, randy couture is really all will. he gets hit easily in most fights and takes enough punishment but his wrestling clinch skill prevents the worst, but hes stil lgetting beat simple as that.

at age 35 u start to deteriate its just a harsh fact of life,

its why michael schumacher will probably never dominate the formula 1 again unless his car is completely superior.
    test
  3. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

he may be old...but that dude went 23 mins takin blows and getting put on his back....there are ALOT of younger guys who would not have survived that fight...and still have the patience to pull off a triangle-arm bar
    test
  4. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

who else saw this as the next big article if silva got beat or dominated most of the fight?

i could of told you 3 weeks ago this article was sitting in someones desk just waiting for the opportunity to see the light of day, its bullshit because every person is different, some fighters peak by 30, others peak at 40, some peak by 23, it's happened.. great prospects one year, nothing the next, were "individuals" for a reason. maybe silva is peaking and wont ever be where he was, or maybe he's not, maybe we should consider that for once someone got the better of a great, it happens.
    test
  5. The Nonpareil

Because getting taken down and dominated was no big deal, but the best striker ever in MMA getting outstruck by a wrestler was.

I've been saying for a long time that his style doesn't age well. When you rely on reflexes, eventually they crap out on you.

Basically: something was wrong. Could've been age, could've been an off night, could've been Anderson under pressure, but it's not a case of fucking Chael Sonnen being the better striker. You know this.
    test
  6. The Nonpareil

test
  7. UnbrokeN

perhaps hes just taking cockyness to a whole new level..perhaps he wanted to show everyone a ''tough'' fight..perhaps he allowed him to taking him down seemingly at will all the time because he wanted to give him hope..perhaps thats why he diidnt show his usual antics..perhaps he was just bored with another overall crappy ass fighter and tried to see what happens if he played totally into the cards of his oponennt and if he could still win...to be honest if anyone would go that far to manipulate a fight like that, its anderson..he was just getting taken down too damn easy..and outstruck..it was like he lost 95% of his strikign skill overnight..!

no way this guy is a better striker than forrest..possibly same skill even..one of anderosn strengths is avoiding take downs, but it was as clear as day that he wanted to be taken down if you ask me..very weird..
    test
  8. jayoo

thats the biggest reach ive heard especially when anderson himself came out saying how tough it was and he was lucky and blessed to be able to pull out a win at the end. forrest is a shitty striker in my opinion, chael is faster, anderson looks as if he starts off trying to move but after the first shot lands he kind of just takes the next 2 as he backs away

back when they fought, forrest was a lot faster with his hands, hes slowed down, hes past his peak which was never much

chaels problem though.. i dont think he hits very hard, he rocked silva off his feet, not really rocked him into an almost knocked out state, but it was more because it was technically on point.. his ground and pound in some of his fights is weak, it only causes damage because of how many he lands, until he can finish fights or become sick at sub defense he's gonna always have trouble
    test
  9. UnbrokeN

u know im right...he toyed him in the worst possible way
    test
  10. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i thought this too. Everyone has said he's such a boring fighter and doesn't entertain the fans, etc. etc. that the first reaction i had was that in playing this way, he looks like he's beatable, he puts on a show, everyone is entertained, everyone is excited, but he still pulls out the win so everyone thinks he's a true champion and loves him again.

next fight, he'll come out and whoop ass and people will be like "this is the best anderson silva we've ever seen! what a recovery from the chael sonnen fight!"

then they'll rematch and he'll beat chael.
    test
  11. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

My money's on silva for the next fight also
    test
  12. jayoo

lol this sounds like a quote from a chuck norris page

lets himself look beatable so he can come back an win fans over, but in reality hes invincible an was never in trouble
    test
  13. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i never said he was never in trouble, i just think he was trying to get his reputation back and win over fans, main event status, and dana white with his performance.

just look; now everyone's talking about him again and most of it is good, and now when he comes back and dominates, it'll make him look even better.
    test
  14. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I just don't see how anyone could think that a fighter would willingly take that much punishment intentionally. Round 4 proved to me that Anderson wanted to get Sonnen out of there but couldn't.
    test
  15. jayoo

im sorry am i the only one who thinks this is the biggest bullshit i've ever heard?

i cant believe people think silva is so good that he really has to go out and LET HIMSELF lose rounds, that shit isn't realistic at all, this is a fight business with guys who've trained their whole lives, if anderson can "let" these situations happen and pull wins whenever, he's not human.

i cant even believe that anyone would CONSIDER that a possibility..

tells me who to take serious when we talk mma and who not too smh..
    test
  16. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

then why did Silva put his hands down for a minute and take shots willingly

even Sonnen said he felt he would have had more resistance
    test
  17. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

didn't say it was a reality, just a thought. and it does make sense considering the history. like i said, it gets him back in good standing with everyone and erases the past fights and also gives him a chance to now "come back" and be great. if he had lost, his rematch most likely would be him dominating sonnen.

his last fight he embarassed what's his name for 3 rounds, then just did nothing and coasted and played around. 4 months later he suddenly can't fight? you don't find that just a little weird? the guy has lost his entire ability to avoid takedowns and punches in less than a year? that's the bullshit. he got taken down at will and pummeled at will by a guy who can't strike. he didn't get knocked out or really even close to getting knocked out, and was never in any serious trouble. he just got taken down and was losing the fight.

so either 1) he lost all his skill in a few months or 2) this was all his plan to keep himself from getting chumped by dana white for being a fighter that doesn't take the fans or the business seriously.
    test
  18. UnbrokeN

therei s one more option, thats laughable tho..that is he never had the skill to begin with.

but other than that..this is what it all boils down to. he was manipulating this fight is my opinion, hes done it before, just not on such a scale..perhaps he knew he could easily pull a submission on this guy if he wanted to..knowing that sonnen had been subbed 8 times before !

the theory is valid. and guess what..sonnen felt it..silva made it look like hed been hurt as well..but he was never i nany danger..look at the state of his face after the fight..looekd very fresh.
    test
  19. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

and to go a step further...Silva came out in his jiu-jitsu gi with the black belt.....Sonnen dissed the Nogera bros remember....almost like it was the aim from the get go to submit him...and he does it 2 mins from the end????

Silva was in the same position all 5 rounds...Silva controlled that fight...the illuminati are real!!!...lol

maybe
    test
  20. jayoo

im literally ignoring everyone who buys into this, thats the lamest shit i ever heard, he had a fuckin cracked rib if you wanna buy into something buy into that excuse. seriously tho, any real mma fan buying into this especially when silva spoke on the matter and his cracked rib ended up being true, i cant ever take you seriously in an mma discussion again
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.