Inception is a MASTERPIECE!!!

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by BoogieArchie, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoogieArchie

BoogieArchie New Member

Whatever you do, go see that movie!

You have to be on major drugs to think of a movie concept like that. Dope on so many levels(literally)

It's the best movie I have seen, Dark Knight included. I'm not just speaking on impulse with that statement either. The movie is THAT ILL!!!
    test
  2. heebs907

heebs907 GS ICEY

damn, ive heard a shitload of good things..

i havent even heard of it.. damn
    test
  3. StayAwesome

StayAwesome Member

this topic is agreeable
    test
  4. thepointe01

thepointe01 I'll do me, you do you

I don't know know how Nolan thought of all that shit, he must really be suspicious of dreams or something and really think that everyone is out to get him. But it was crazy, tho part of me isn't even sure what I was watching lol. Crazy movie tho, not Dark Knight good, but crazy good nonetheless.
    test
  5. BoogieArchie

BoogieArchie New Member

word? I thought it was plenty better than the Dark Knight

DK was great though, no doubt!
    test
  6. thepointe01

I just thought DK had a better atmosphere around it. I thought the story, even tho simpler, was better intertwined than this one. This one was crazy and they're going from one place to the next and part of me was still trying to catch up with where in the dream cycles or levels or whatever they were. I know that's part of the reason this movie is so good. I mean it's comparing two awesome movies so there's really no wrong answer. And Nolan may have proved to be one of the best with special effects in this one. The effects weren't stupid Michael Bay-style comical CGI crap. Those were some real special effects.
    test
  7. Joey70s

Joey70s New Member

Yeah this film is somthing else .That fight scene in the hotel hallway was fucking ridculous. I have no idea how he pulled that off, because that wasn't cgi. A good year for uk directors, 1st kickass, now this. And that new Edgar wright(hot fuzz, shaunmofnthe dead) film with that Superbad kid looks amazing aswell:
    test
  8. azhotazice

azhotazice Active Member

I would like... (FROM A RESPECTED AND OR LOGICAL SOURCE) to help me break down the ending..

ive heard a couple of theories..

the question is, is it reality or still the dream in the end and more importantly WHY?

then I can rant about how awesome this movie is (I still believe that it is) but not Dark Knight status, its the super hero thing bruv
    test
  9. Joey70s

Joey70s New Member

it was reality. Everytime Cobb(dcaprio) was in a dream he had his wedding ring on, when he was in reality he didn't. He didn't have it on at the end when he span the totem.
    test
  10. StayAwesome

StayAwesome Member

you're not gonna get a logical source unless Nolan himself comes right out and says what happened in the end, which he hasn't. so you need pick one of the theories yourself.

this is what ive been posting in each inception topic that asks for it so here is the best argument saying he was in reality;

you look at the cast credits, they have 2 sets of children playing Cobb's kids. One pair being 20 months/3 years, and another pair saying they were 3/5 years old. that just makes me think the first time we see his kids, they were 20 months and 3 years old, and at the end of the film they were 3/5 years old

another reason i read somewhere was that in Cobb dream's about his wife and kids he always had a wedding ring on. The last part where he's in the airport, meets the grandpa, then meets the kids, he doesn't have the wedding ring on. So i assume he's not dreaming

it dont really matter in the end because he's happy can finally be with his kids, whether it was a dream or reality.
    test
  11. thepointe01

I think the whole point was it is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't want to ruin the ending, cuz it was fantastic and perfect for that movie. Everyone in the theater after the credits came on just let out a huge sigh and some awwwssss. I think it's up to the viewer whether it's real or not. One question I think Nolan tries to pose with that ending is life even real? Is there any parts of our daily life that we feel are reality? Or is everything just a dream. Kinda a lil matrix-y but 100 times better. I really hope he's not setting up a sequel to this one w that ending. This is not the kind of a movie that should be sequel-ed.
    test
  12. onitabas

onitabas die faggot

How did Christopher Nolan think it up? I'll give you an answer: Dark City.

[youtube]jSpowoKqSzc[/youtube]
    test
  13. thepointe01

Yea that movie was weird, very weird. Very underrated movie, Nolan very well may be quite the dark social outcast in real life. I could care less tho, just keep churning out crazy flicks.
    test
  14. onitabas

onitabas die faggot

I don't think Inception was a masterpiece or Christopher Nolan's best film.

On Christopher Nolan rankings I go:

1. Memento
    2. Following
    3. Inception
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Insomnia
    6. Batman Begins
    7. The Prestige

It was a very good movie, and definitely more intelligent than the average summer blockbuster. Unfortunately I'm afraid I may have fallen into the M. Night Shymalan syndrome with Christopher Nolan, and I expected this movie to be a complete mindfuck. It was actually a pretty straight forward story. so it isn't much of a psychological thriller as it is a regular thriller.

Overall it was a great movie, but I don't think it was Nolan's best or a masterpiece. Mainly because the concepts aren't really that original (it was basically Dark City with guns and no aliens). I feel I maybe ragging to much on this movie so I need to stress that this is a GREAT movie, easily the best of the year so far, and definitely better than any film that came out last year. Even though it isn't a psychological thriller, Christopher Nolan does put your mind to work and many directors/screenwriters don't even try to do that anymore. He is definitely an auteur.

My biggest complaint about the movie is the actor who played Eames. I think Guy Pearce would have done that role much more justice.

4/4 stars.
    test
  15. jazegtnyvp

jazegtnyvp V.I.P. (BeastCoast NY)

The movie was produced and written with contradictions inside of it to make the ending open ended. Not contradictions as in plotholes unthought of by the director/writer, but contradictions that blurry a linear path for the movie. There are a few key points that are open to intepretation that forces you to make your own judgement because any argument going either way can be disproved by isolated instances in the movie. For example

- In Paris, his father in law saying, "come back to reality" when they are supposedly in the real world....

- Molly being rejected at the end (and the guilt she represents) could enable Cobb to actually visually dream about his childrens faces

- There is no big kick shown that releases everyone from the dream state at the end

- the immigration guy stamps his passport with the same dream symbol he shows to the architect at the beginning of the movie

- On the flipside, u see the spinner wobbling just before the movie cuts so it seems like it's reaity, but the director goes to a quick cut before it actually falls so the ending isn't spoonfed to the audience.

- the "leap of faith" references throughout the movie could be referring to Mollys plot, but it could also refer to the end where you have some proof that he's no longer dreaming but that guarentee isn't there. cobb for the first time in the movie ignores the spinner. the time when the audience most wants that assurance that it's all done. it's a stylistic thing from the director. it's him avoiding a cliche "it's all a dream" twist at the end and it avoids making it a cozy happy ending.

very good movie
    test
  16. lightskintwin

lightskintwin Black Militant Racist

Dark City did have an influence, however The Matrix had HUGE INFLUENCE on this movie.
    test
  17. onitabas

onitabas die faggot

And Dark City had a huge influence on the Matrix. They even used the same sets. Dark City is the common ancestor.
    test
  18. Per$onal

Per$onal New Member

So inception and dark knight are the two best movies you've seen? LOL
    test
  19. Kaysersoze

Kaysersoze New Member

great movie...like jaze said, if you try to dissect every part that you thought was questionable it`ll drive u in circles....i think u have to digest the movie as a whole...that being said i like that the movie, although complex if u follow every detail, is laid out linearly in a fairly easy to follow way....
    nolan is a genius on drugs
    test
  20. Track 2

Track 2 Well-Known Member

quit ducking ph
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.