In Need Of Opinions? Am i off to a good start or nah?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by MC4SiGHT, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

Aight, heres the deal, i been rapping for a good 3 years now and i still have but maybe 10 full songs recorded, and they are crappy quality. So i gotta hold of some money recently and decided to invest a start so i can finally get a ep/demo out.

So i went out and bought a brand new computer...

Compaq Presario..lots of memory, 2 ghz. 80gig hard drive.. etc..

i got a soundblaster 5.1 card with it...should i move up to audigy or is soundblaster fine for gettin some fairly decent quality done.

Also i went out and bought a shure sm58 to add to my mics cuz i heard it was good, i do plan to get a shure 86 condenser soon tho too..

also programs wise i have cool edit 2.0, reason 2.0 , sonar, and pro tools 6.1 and cubane....

is their any other programs i should get or am i set in that department.

i already have decent quality headphones too..

i use to record at my old producers house, he had a keyboard, a mackie etc. some real studio equipment instead of just computer stuff, i lost a lot of my tracks tho in a fued i had with him...now ive decided to do shit myself.... i was gonna go the actual studio route, but i heard the computer route could get nearly as good of sound, and im just looking for something that'll sound decent if i press it and give out to a few people, nothing big just a few hundred copies n shit.

So am i off to a good start, and is their anything i should get, i have bout $250 after i get my condenser mic. what kind of improvements could i make with $250 bucks to what i already have, do i need a pre-amp or etc.

Any advice, opinons or help would be greatly appreciated?
    test
  2. Logik Words

Logik Words New Member

Ye... I think if you plannin to get a condenser you'll need a pre-amp... and phantom power... try and gettin a pre-amp with phantom power

Lol.. that's what I herd you gonna need
    test
  3. TwistedPlot

TwistedPlot DS3 Crü

I have three upgrade suggestions for you. They're just suggestions though...

You will need a pre-amp with phantom power if you're getting a condenser mic. I suggest a PreSonus pre-amp, but since you said you had ProTools, I'm ASSUMING you have mic inputs with pre-amps and phantom power on your Digi interface - unless, of course, you're using ProTools free.

I would upgrade that soundcard to something like an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. It's decent - better than anything by Creative Labs.

I would also look into some budget monitors, since you'll be mixing and mastering on your own. If you do decide to get these, make sure they're active - NOT passive - since they'll come with their own amplifiers tuned to the cones in the speakers, and you won't have to buy a separate amp for them.

Anyway, good luck with your purchases.

Uno
    test
  4. lil sagz

lil sagz harry manback

i would also recommend beating your fucking friends ass into a bloody mass of tissue and bone fragments.

i could be wrong though..

if i lost all my tracks cuz my friend threw a fit and deleted em all... may god have mercy on their soul.

sheeeeit i still got my first track i recorded like 4 years ago

0ne-sagz
    test
  5. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

yeah i lost bout 20 or so tracks cuz of it...i'm still in the process of gettin the faggot back..prob. gonna end up jackin some of his shit...

n i still got my first tracks b4 i was dealin with him, but its only like 10...

thanks twistedplot tho for the suggestions....its appreciated...

let me get some more opinions and etc. i like to get an array of opinions before i go make the purchase...

test
  6. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

test
  7. lil sagz

lil sagz harry manback

twisted plot pretty much said it all, but

i would however recommend you getting a mixer instead of just a preamp... a mixer is much more versitile, plus if you feel the need you can purchase the preamp after the fact.

reasoning is that with a mixer you are keeping your options open. say you wanted to get a keyboard, monitors, compressor, eq, effects rack, and so on, it can all be plugged in and organized with your mixer, in the long run will save you time.

ps, most mixers do come with phantom power.

i recommend checking out some mackie mixers, mackies have excellent quality, i used to have a 1202vlz (i think is what it was called) never been happier.

however if your ballin on a budget as most of us are, check out behringer... they have decent quality, and come with most features bigger names have. right now i am running a behringer and beyond popular beliefs (they have alot of noise) i hardly hear a fucking hint of a hum in my vocals.

also don't even think about shorting the small stuff, because this can effect you quality wise. i mean don't go for the shitty cables... this is the only means of transportation for your vocals... put it like this - do you want to ride in a kia rio missing a hubcap and paint peeling, or do you want to ride in a escalade on spree wheels? don't front. lol

i'd also consider (like twisted plot previously stated) a better soundcard. check out these brands = echo, m-audio, terratech, or st audio

or if you wanted to get really sick with it... we're talking real home studio shit you could get a digidesign digi001 and say fuck the soundcard... but this is for the experienced, which is probably out of your budget's question.

and instead of that shure sm86 i HIGHLY recommend the audio-technica at3035 condenser.. audio technica is a VERY nice brand for a great price. it will be a little more expensive but trust me, put that 86 against the 3035 and you'd tell me you were happy you spent the extra $50 or whatever.

to make it fit budget just say fuck the sm58.. they are a nice mic to have, but if you want the really nice quality off the bat... i'm telling you, or even go with the behringer b-2,, they recently dropped the price i think to like $129 somewhere, that might have been a special though.

umm...

monitors are a necessesity if your going the distance, but your home stereo could get the job done assuming you got a mixer and a decent home stereo set up (subs, mids, tweets).

under $250 is a tough thing to do though dogg, i just saw that budget thing lmao, but seriously what i named is NOT expensive at all... it is a very good deal, especially for the quality that you would be hearing.

0ne-sagz
    test
  8. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

dont get the 86, get a studio condenser mic...something like a b2, and ghea you're gonna need a preamp.
    test
  9. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

aight thanks....

dont worry i got more then $250 i was jsut seeing what kinda prices i could get...

give me another month i'll have bout a grand to spend on studio shit...

thanks for the opinions
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.