in light of Chase's thread..what good advice have people given you on here?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Djay Cas, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

phoenix once told me my shit sounded like 2 different people
    one joint would be good (he said fire but at the time i think he was being polite)
    and then the next joint would be whack

he wasnt the only person to tell me that and it got me thinkin
    i wound up developing a more discriminating ear
    if its not the best record i could have put together...
    if its not really really hot in my opinion ...nobody hears it, it doesent even go to a wav or mp3 file it might not even live as a session file

now its rare though, my ears have developed alot better i think i know a lil more what im doin im more aware of my self

one time premize hit me on aim an jus to tell me "learn your chords/scales"
    lol thats pretty much self explanatory
    he also said to buy the best equipment out, instead of buying decent shit u can afford for the moment cuz sooner or later ull have to go back and get what u actually wanted, and ur wasting time/money

so..whats somethin somebody here has told you that didnt jus go in one ear an out the other?
    test
  2. *EnCoRe*

*EnCoRe* Shitty Ass Avatars!

sanzo and chase have both given me advice/motivation towards my music ... urb has givin me advice about certain transactions with artist.... there r people on here who care
    test
  3. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

the most popular thing that I have gotten from other cats who make beats is that "Your tracks have potential but they are executed badly. "You over quantize, over compress, don't mix, drums and general sound selection aren't great your tracks lack direction and your tracks are boring in both arrangement and movement" There is probably more but these are kind of the basic things I have heard. I am so stubborn that I might not listen to you or even get why I should do somethings the first time around but about 18 months later you will say I told you so. Right now I am feeling a big I told you so. The past few months when I got away from RM I really sat back and leared to critically listen to my music. I went back and learned what music made me want to make music in the first place. I began to listen to grooves and listen to what different fx do to my instruments. I learned to listen instead of just hear music. Now I don't compress anything unless I have to. I quantize kicks and snares sometimes but not high hats, bass or chords. I listen more to sonic quality and I am looking at different gear as well as different techniques I can use to get that sound that I have been looking for and was unable to achieve. I used to just jump on my controller and just start playin sounds or samples or whatever and just hope something comes out. Now I tend to have a plan before I hit the boards. Not really like "Im going to make a sampled beat today" but Ill have a chord in mind or a drum pattern in mind ect. I understand why mixing a beat is important even though it is going to be remixed for the song. I understand now how a lot of little things can really kill a track and a song. If it wasn't for RM being so critical and harsh about details in tracks I probabaly wouldn't have grown the way I did. There is a right and a wrong way of executing music and until you get that you will not get your desired results.
    test
  4. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

I watched and learned from everyone
    test
  5. KSoundz

KSoundz New Member

i got a few great friends on here, one in particular is sol. IMO hes the wisest producer i know. not only on production but on other different matters such as lifestyle, hobbies, equip.. etc..

chase aswell has helped alot with my music, such as telling me what would make it hotter and whatnot.

many other dudes have helped me out but its way to late to create a Thank You list.

to everyone that helped me advance, thank you.
    test
  6. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune

I don't remember what anybody told me in particular

but niggaz on here give feedback on every aspect of beats

like niggaz tell you "you need a better clap or snare"

i aint never heard a nigga offline say "man that clap is weak"

but on here, niggaz will call you out for a fuckin garbage soundin hi hat...

i love it
    test
  7. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

^ LOL very true
    test
  8. K_City

K_City K-City da Hustla

When i was learning Reason Ray Digga helped me out a good bit. There is a lot of helpful advice on this board to whomever wants to hear (read) it. Some people wont get better because they take advice/criticism the wrong way. They feel like if someone gives you pointers or tells you that your beats are off-key that they are hatin on them. But I think it was Urb or Chase that told me not to quantize my instruments. I appreciate that!

@ Dskilz - You in ATL?
    test
  9. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

they said give up, and i listened
    test
  10. Pistol Petee

Pistol Petee Pussy Eater

up them chase threads
    test
  11. _REAPAH_

_REAPAH_ Mello Dee

"You wack as fuck..."

not really advice, but good motivation
    test
  12. nwo504

nwo504 Rawtunez

i learned that niggaz actually tune hihats

i basically learned everything i know here alone[about making beats]
    test
  13. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune

yeah alotta people told me to "stick to rappin" when I first started makin beats on here.

fuck other people tho. dont let no one stop you from doing what you wanna do.
    test
  14. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

most useful piece of advice to me came from Sol.. when debating what you should use for equipment, software etc... he said

"It doesn't matter what you use, as long as you feel comfortable using it"..

since then, it's been FL for life!

Skrews
    test
  15. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

Probably F Major and PG13... when they was schoolin' me on westcoast beats. I never mastered that sound but I did take some elements from that sound to blend with my eastcoast sound.

The results are amazing.
    test
  16. ChaseNCashe

ChaseNCashe If it aint Polo, Keep It!

test
  17. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

lol its right on the first page
    where he thanks rm for makin him striiiiiiiive to be the best.
    test
  18. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

drum selection..

and quality drum sounds..
    test
  19. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

Not really advice.. but I learned never to battle Phoenix with no midi controller, no instrument sounds, and a 7 year old computer. [funny]

F Major - This guy is full of knowledge. You'll learn tons of shit just by reading his posts.

And someone posted this, I have no idea who, but I took it to heart. Something along the lines of "Dont get too comfortable making beats, or u develop habits and all your shit sounds the same"
    test
  20. SoulBoy

SoulBoy Bitch wheres my Grammy

Word up...Fmajor could probably right a book on different aspects of music lol. And I remember a thread last year about mixing was real helpful when it came to thinking about how i mix my beats. I think it was a creative silence thread.

Another thing I find funny is that i'm used to posting on sites like this where everybodys pretty knowlegable about music. And then I'll talk to some cat on aim and ask what key is this in? And get "whats you mean by key?" as a response. And i'm like damn I though everybody knew what a key/scale was lol.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.